Longer Sidestand for NT?

Thelit

I feel like my bike leans over too far on the side stand. It's 8" long and seems like if it were an inch longer it would be perfect.
Has anyone else had this issue and sourced a longer one that will fit ? If so, where did you find / buy it?

bicyclist

It would probably be easier to attach a foot to the sidestand than find a longer one.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I feel like my bike leans over too far on the side stand. It's 8" long and seems like if it were an inch longer it would be perfect.
Has anyone else had this issue and sourced a longer one that will fit ? If so, where did you find / buy it?
You will find that the length is just about right as it is. If you parallel park near a curb and if the road has any crown to it at all, with a longer side stand the bike would be too upright and would fall over.

Mike

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
You will find that the length is just about right as it is. If you parallel park near a curb and if the road has any crown to it at all, with a longer side stand the bike would be too upright and would fall over.

Mike
plus one to what mike said.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Has anyone added a permanent foot to their sidestand?
Yes, I just welded a pad about 3/4" larger all the way around than the stock pad. I used 1/8" steel.
But you have to becareful not to make it so that it interfers with the center stand lever.
It has worked very well and I never know it is there except when it is needed.

Attachments

Last edited:

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
When I lowered my NT, the sidestand required shortening so I figured why not weld a real pad on the end? I made this from mild steel, it is 3" across and now I have no worries when using it in the grass or on loose gravel!

round kickstand pad.JPG

Last edited:
Bike
NT700va
I concur that the current length is about right. I would like any suggestions on making a mod to the center stand to make it easier to stand up. Try putting most BMWs and it is allot easier. Please no advice on putting weight on foot, holding handle, rocking back. Some of us are only 150lbs and it is a hassle.
Russ

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I concur that the current length is about right. I would like any suggestions on making a mod to the center stand to make it easier to stand up. Try putting most BMWs and it is allot easier. Please no advice on putting weight on foot, holding handle, rocking back. Some of us are only 150lbs and it is a hassle.
Russ
Russ, if you don't stand on it with your foot, it IS a hassle, but if you stand on it with all of your weight, it hops right up on its center stand. I'm just a tad over 150lbs and it is a piece of cake.

Mike

Bab

Bike
2010 NT Silver
Yes, I just welded a pad about 3/4" larger all the way around than the stock pad. I used 1/8" steel.
But you have to becareful not to make it so that it interfers with the center stand lever.
It has worked very well and I never know it is there except when it is needed.
I never had concerns about the lean angle of my side stand. I did however have issues where the foot was sinking into hot asphalt. I had a Trumpet drop through poor pavement once, and didn't want it to happen again. To remedy this, I also added a pad to the foot to enlarge the area and spread some of the pressure. I took the original foot, held it on a piece of thin cardboard, and pushed a washer up against it. I placed my pencil inside the washer and dragged it around the foot, with the result having enlarged the foot with precise proportions. I cut the cardboard template out, transferred it to my plate steel, and ground, and filed it to shape. I then located the new foot forward of the stock foot to give me the needed clearance when in the up position. I welded the pad, ground and shaped the welds, and rattled some black paint on. Looks like it was meant to be there, and serves the purpose. The thickness of the plate is not critical, and the size of the washer I used created a foot that was about 3/8" larger all the way around.

Bike
2010 NT700V, 2015 CB500X
My NT's side stand took a hit when I dropped it after hitting a deer. Now my NT leans further over on the side stand than it did before the drop and I have to pay a little extra attention to where I use it. If you bought your NT used you may want to check your side stand for scrapes/scuffs or other evidence of damage during a drop. If my side stand was much worse I would replace it.

Also the rear preload adjustment can affect the lean when on the side stand. Try adjusting your preload to improve your side stand lean, and hopefully your preload setting won't get to an undesirable point.

Top Bottom