Looking at retiring SYMAX III

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I also had an HJC helmet and liked it a lot, but if your gonna spend that kind of dough, take a look at a Nolan modular. I've got a 104 EVO that I think is a cut above the HJC's.

Mike

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I have 2 HJC and 3 Nolan helmets. All good value helmets. Nolan keeps the cost down by using a polycarbonate shell in all of their Nolan brand models. HJC uses polycarbonate shells as well but in the case of the RPHA 90 they use a better more expensive composite shell. In this case all else being equal I would go with the HJC helmet.

All of my newer helmets are white. I have one older hi viz helmet and frankly to my eyes the white is much more visible.

Bike
KLR650, Red NT700V, YZFR3
I have 2 HJC and 3 Nolan helmets. All good value
I have 2 HJC helmets, a 3/4 open face and a modular, they fit the shape of my head, can't wear a Nolan tried one once and it didn't work for me it put pressure on my forehead and after a few hours gave me a headache.

Roy Cope

OP
OP
karl

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
Tried to find a new one of what I am using now with out success. More recent searches turned up some interesting options like a half priced schuberth C4 and the Bell SRT modular. Don't know if my wish to stay with the composite shell will pay off in the long run. The cost of the com for the Schuberth scared me off and the prospect of reusing the UClear unit I have now seemed an OK prospect. Current lid got noisier with wear and I am hoping that the old stuff will work with the new lid. Clicked the buy button for the RPHA.

Should have it in a few days, more to follow.

OP
OP
karl

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
Helmet was on the front porch when I got back from NH. Opened the box and was pleasantly surprised to find the lid came with all the little extras installed. Chin curtain, breath deflector and pinlock lens already there. One thing that left me a bit puzzled was a catch on the visor lens. Have had problems with them blowing shut, never open?
Doc prescribed some stuff for an infected bite that makes me photosensitive. Took it for Lyme before and ignored the warning and got fried. Will take some photos as soon as the weather gets better (thunderstorms tonight) Just looking at it my thoughts are favorable so far. Venting seems more aggressive as well. Proof is in the wearing, we shall see.

OP
OP
karl

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
Checks all the boxes except that I can't keep it on my head too long without pain. AKA why not to buy on line unless you are positive about the size. Last three modular's from HJC where all size large and worked great. This one hurts.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I'm very happy with my Neotec 2. The opening of the faceshield fits me better than the one on the Schuberth C3. I liked the Schuberth except for the fact that the top of the Pinlock was right in the middle of my vision. The Shoei Neotec 2 too has the top of faceshield (and the Pinlock) enough higher that my vision is clear without having to crane my head back. And the Neotec 2 is quieter.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Checks all the boxes except that I can't keep it on my head too long without pain. AKA why not to buy on line unless you are positive about the size. Last three modular's from HJC where all size large and worked great. This one hurts.
Karl, have you looked into different sizes of interior padding? On my Nolan, there are only two shell sizes. The helmet size difference is determined by the padding. If your helmet is too snug you can order the next size up padding and see if that works better. I think HJC uses the same approach.
Mike

OP
OP
karl

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
The latch assembly pulls the shell tighter on the RPH. I need to do something.

Top Bottom