Looks Tasty (Crosstourer)

elizilla

Re: Looks Tasty

It does indeed look tasty. This is the bike I was going to wait for, why I didn't order a Super10. But I weakened and bought the Super10 anyway, and I guess I don't have to regret that purchase yet, since the Honda's not here. Maybe in 2013 we'll get a chance at it, but I wouldn't bet on it. Honda is never in a hurry to bring us the coolest bikes in their lineup. Look at how long it took to get an NT over here.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700 ABS
I suspect my next bike will either be this or a VFR. But for now the NT suits me just fine.

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Did you read his fuel range. 167 miles to a tank full of 5.6 gallons. Hope his math is wrong, or I am reading it wrong, as that is 29.82 miles per gal. That Sucks for a Motorcycle. My wife's Sebring Cage gets better than that. I'll keep my Wee and beat-up old KLR. 53mpg and 60mpg respectivly. Not sure what Honda is doing. First they are coming out with the NC700X which can't make up its mind between Scooter or Motorcycle, and can't get out of it own way. Then they come up with the Cross-Tourer which seems not to be able to pass gas stations. Out here in the Western US, one can go 200 to 250 miles between stations Come on Honda Get your head out of your back pocket.

Last edited:
Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Nice bike, but is it too heavy? Katherine is probably the best judge, but I am not sure what it offers over the Super 10 in terms of functionality and it's $4-5k more expensive.

Interestingly, Suzuki looks to be selling all the '12 Wee Stroms that they can make.
Correct. The Suzuki is light, has great MPG's, is bullet proof, will move down the road at a good clip and.....is cheep. Almost half the price as some of these others. Go figure.

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
Sorry, wouldn't trade my Super Ten for 2 V-stroms... I really like it a lot. But, the v-strom was on my list of bikes to look at, I just preferred the features the Super Ten had.

The Super Ten is just a hair lighter than the Cross tourer 575 vs 583...... it's kept very low so it really doesn't feel heavy to me but I'm also used to the ST which is an anchor so I could get on any lighter anchor and it would feel better.

The Super Ten will get 180 to 210 before the low fuel light goes on but you can get an additional 30-40 after that.. before worrying.. 200 miles seems to be what manufacturers are using for many bikes these days... it's tough to go from the ST's almost 300 mile range to that... but, just something to get used to.

For me... the crosstourer was never really on the radar once the specs were announced. I would love to play with the DCT but would just get a VFR1200 if that were the case. The only two I had seriously looked at were there GS and SuperTen.. I believe those two are the closest to tough adv bikes given their features and very close together in their class. The GS just cost too much more for me. The 800cc adv bikes I looked at were all chain drive and the cost of those were close if not more than the discounted price I was getting from my dealer for the Super Ten.. My choice was a bike I could ride just like the ST1300 but also catch air on a trail if I wanted and not worry about stuff falling off, ah... and it does that (disclaimer: this occurred on a closed track with an inexperienced rider, do not try that at home).. LOL

It's good to have options... as many have stated, most adv bikes may never see any dirt other than an occasional trail you'd take any bike on. The Crosstourer will be a nice bike w/advantage and disadvantages compared to others... you just pick the bike that works for you and give it a shot... if it doesn't work for you.. there's probably something out there that will.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Yep, it would tempt me too. As would the SuperTen.

And for all those who scoff at my desire for an extra 20hp and 6sp tranny on the NT....that bike has well over 100hp AND a 6sp tranny....and they still kept it under 600lb.

:)

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
I really don't know when Honda will bring the Cross-Tourer to the US. They brought the NT after God knows how many years. They tried to market the DN-1 (Which went over like a pregnant pole vaulter). Will see what they so with the NC-700X. Doubtful that will appeal to LD riders.

Motorcyclist reviewed the NC and said that it was more "Stylish" Than the NT. They were trying to compare apples and oranges.

I have no clue as to what a stylish motorcycle is. The NT is a touring bike for sure--the NC is "sort of"

elizilla

I am very partial to Honda V4s so that part gets my attention.

The VFR1200F was actually the bike I had been saving my pennies for, when I bought the NT. Shaft drive, under 600lbs, and a Honda V4? Sign me up! The only reason I switched my sights to the NT, was because of the mileage and tank range. I figured I would miss the range, far more often than I would miss the extra ponies. Before the VFR1200F hit the streets, Honda was threatening 32mpg, and it has a tiny tank. Dealbreaker. I've paid attention since and people seem to be reporting high 30s for it, not low 30s, so it's not quite as bad as I feared. Still not so good. The Crosstour has a bigger tank and the ergos/suspension are just what I like, so if it were here and I hadn't bought the Super10 I'd be looking closely. But it's not here, and I did buy the Super10. So I'll just keep an eye on it. If the mileage turns out better than Honda says, and they do bring it here someday, I'd consider it.

elizilla

The other Euro bike that looks tasty and which we aren't getting, is the Crossrunner. This is basically the previous gen VFR, the 800cc version with VTEC, dressed up in adventure bike trim. Yes, it's got a chain. But that is a fantastic powerplant, just fabulous. And the adventure bike styling means all day comfort and good handling on bad pavement.

If Honda were suddenly to bring both Crossrunner and Crosstourer to the USA, owning a Super10 would make me less likely to go for the Crosstourer. But I'd find the Crossrunner harder to pass up. I'm afraid my garage would get overcrowded again.

OP
OP
karl

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
My house is too big and the garage like my bank account is smaller than I would like...

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I really don't know when Honda will bring the Cross-Tourer to the US. They brought the NT after God knows how many years. They tried to market the DN-1 (Which went over like a pregnant pole vaulter). Will see what they so with the NC-700X. Doubtful that will appeal to LD riders.

Motorcyclist reviewed the NC and said that it was more "Stylish" Than the NT. They were trying to compare apples and oranges.

I have no clue as to what a stylish motorcycle is. The NT is a touring bike for sure--the NC is "sort of"
Honda is looking to the future with the NC. They forcast continued increases in fuel prices and the NC is designed for fuel economy. They targeted 65mpg. The low rpm's also help with that. Since some people may move from cars to motorcycles due to gas prices the auto transmission will help with the conversion. Many drivers today have never had to operate a vehicle with a clutch. Honda's visions often fail to materialize but everyone can't be Steve Jobs.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Honda's visions often fail to materialize but everyone can't be Steve Jobs.
That comment makes the DN-01 come to mind. And it bears more than a passing resemblance, in design and the target market, to the NC700. At least the NC is more realistically priced than the DN-01's MSRP was...

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
That comment makes the DN-01 come to mind. And it bears more than a passing resemblance, in design and the target market, to the NC700. At least the NC is more realistically priced than the DN-01's MSRP was...
Yes, I forgot to mention that a low entry level price was also part of their plan. Nothing I read actually mentions anyting about adventuring touring. I think it might be more of a styling element.

Neil-OKC

Sorry but I personally think it is ugly. Kind of a cross between a honda and a ducati! yuck!

tawilke46

Don't forget the new kid on the block, Triumph Explorer
With a minimum seat height of 32.9" and max of 33.7", would be way too tall for this 29" inseam vertically challenged fellow.
But the bike appears to be aimed squarely at the BMW GSers.
Good looker though.

Last edited:

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
With a minimum seat height of 32.9" and max of 33.7", would be way too tall for this 29" inseam vertically challenged fellow.
But the bike appears to be aimed squarely at the BMW GSers.
Good looker though.
That's what I thought about the Super Ten but it drops about 4 inches as soon as it comes off the side stand.. I'm at 28" and it feels better than the ST1300 from that point of view.. also, narrower seat in the front helps.

tawilke46

That's what I thought about the Super Ten but it drops about 4 inches as soon as it comes off the side stand.. I'm at 28" and it feels better than the ST1300 from that point of view.. also, narrower seat in the front helps.
Guess I would have to sit on one to see for sure. Nearest Triumph, and only Triumph dealer in Louisiana, is in New Orleans.

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
Some of the Super Ten folks that have sat on the Triumph say it feels top-heavy compared to the Super Ten but hard to weed out biased remarks and I've never sat on one.

It's a great looking bike, if it had spoked wheels it would be perfect if you ask me... the single-sided swing arm is nice.

Top Bottom