Loose Cee Bailey Windshield

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
That is true. I looked at the windshield & hardware part numbers for both USA models and the aren't any substitute part numbers. However I haven't checked other (euro) models part numbers.

What I was told was that it would have cost Honda in the $250,000 range to redesign, change a mold, change hole location (and it would be a slight change), hardware change, testing, blah, blah, blah. That is a lot of profit margin on a lot of motorcycles. It is a strange case. The markings on my thick Honda windshield matched the markings on CB thinner windshield. The markings are:

Jupilon
DOT-293 (mitsubishi symbol) M-1040M
AS 6&7
HONDA >PC<

Any one else measure their stock windshield? CB windshield?
My serial number is 225. My stock windscreen measures 3/16"(.187) and the CB windscreen that they sent me several months ago also measures 3/16"(.187)

RedBird

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 F800ST, 1973 R75/5
My serial number is 1442. I measured my stock windscreen in 3 places and got readings of .1565, .1580, .1582. Using a plain old caliper instead of a micrometer, I got 5/32 which is .15625 - definately in the ballpark. So, it certainly appears that Honda used screens of different thicknesses during NT production. Different suppliers perhaps? Given this, I would specify my stock windscreen thickness when ordering a CB replacement.

The markings are:
Jupilon
DOT-293 (mitsubisi symbol) M-1040m
AS 6&7
HONDA >PC<

This are the same as dnktng's above.

Last edited:

RedBird

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 F800ST, 1973 R75/5
H'mm, If CB would stick to a .187 thickness, my guess is that this would work with the thinner shields (like the one on my bike). The screw would have 1/32" or so less engagement after installing the CB screen - anyone have an opinion on whether that would be unsafe? I haven't examined this area closely myself.

OP
OP
dnktng
Bike
2010 NT700V, 2015 CB500X
H'mm, If CB would stick to a .187 thickness, my guess is that this would work with the thinner shields
That sure sounds reasonable. The thinner shield could be made to install snugly by using either a thin (1/32) flat washer under the mounting screw, or a replacement mounting screw with 1/32 less shoulder. Snug is good when installing at a standstill, but I don't know have it would perform at 100mph. I have no idea what criteria are used to manufacture a stock or replacement shield.

My stock windscreen measures 3/16"(.187) and the CB windscreen that they sent me several months ago also measures 3/16"(.187)
That is interesting. Sounds like CB has made thicker shields in the past.

Lars

Called Cee Baily's today to report my problem with the shield being to thin and not being able to tighten the mounting bolts. They said they would get back to me latter today. Received a call and they stated they want the shield back so they can inspect it and try to determine what the problem is. So now the shield goes back and will see what happens next. They stated this is the second one reported with this problem. They also said not to use the shield with a washer under the mounting bolt to make up the difference in thickness.

bicyclist

I received my Cee Bailey's shield a couple of weeks ago, so this thread piqued my curiosity. I just went out to the garage and measured both shields. They measured the same at 5/32" using a caliper. The VIN is 157.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Both my original Honda screen and the first-generation CeeBailey are .1875. My serial number is 0079.

OP
OP
dnktng
Bike
2010 NT700V, 2015 CB500X
Thanks for all the thickness readings. Just re-mic'ed mine in many places, but this time without inserting plastic to protect the shield.....just raw windshield.
Average Honda .163" and consistently between .160 - .168, therefore .008 difference high to low.
CB left side is lowest at .125" high .129. Right side .135 - .140", therefore .015 difference high to low. It's not the same thickness left to right!!. I ask the wife to feel the CB shield's left & right sides and see if they are the same thickness. It took her about 5 seconds before she thought the left side felt thinner.

Not only is mine thin, it is really thin. Wish I could get a thickness measurement at the mounting holes, that would be my biggest concern.

The most important thing I learned from this is that my wife can tell the difference in thicknesses without looking.

OP
OP
dnktng
Bike
2010 NT700V, 2015 CB500X
I got the replacement Cee Bailey yesterday. It mounted snugly with just the original Honda mouning screws. Quick thickness measurements were .175 in three spots....as much as .040 inches thicker than the first shield. The replacement is a +4, first shield was a +2. The +4 is also wider than the +2, didn't measure it but I'd estimate ~1/2 inch wider. Very sturdy and it doesn't wobble.

If you order from Cee Bailey, it would be a good idea to know your stock winshield thickness and ensure the Cee Bailey matches. And, as with everyone, if the customer service rep isn't helping you, find a different rep.

So my story ends well, thanks to Joe at Cee Bailey. He kicks ***.

Lars

My first Cee Bailey windshield that was to thin was sent back to them at their request and I received a replacement today. I could tell by looking at it that it was thicker then the first one and I was able to tighten the mounting bolts without any problem. I now have a nice fitting windshield.

Any company can have occasional problems with their products, but the great companies take care of those problems. All I can say is that Cee Baileys is a great company. I could not be happier with the way they handled this problem. I would definitely recommend their products to anyone.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I hope they get my new Gen 2 + 2" screen replacement to me pretty quick. I miss it!

BTW, after I thought about this morning, I just pushed the two seperate pieces of my broken windshield down as far as they will go and I can't see them anymore. And the sound changes completely. The whiny gear noise under deceleration is almost entirely gone. I don't know why unless all that noise is sucked up through the fork well due to low pressure on the back side of a windscreen.

OP
OP
dnktng
Bike
2010 NT700V, 2015 CB500X
The whiny gear noise under deceleration is almost entirely gone. I don't know why unless all that noise is sucked up through the fork well due to low pressure on the back side of a windscreen.
Yes, agreed, it almost sounds like ....like...a motorcycle. The acoustic as well as air flow are changing with every change in shield, shield position handlebar height, helmet, head position (varied by your rear end, seat, lean up or left/right).... It can be maddening. I spent ~4 hours yesterday checking my helmet fit in the mirror and riding around covering portions of my helmet to find where the noise is getting in, and then modifying my helmet with some dense black foam to get a more air tight & quieter helmet.

Next time I take a windshield off I am going to for a ride with no shield installed just to hear what the NT700 really sounds like.

Top Bottom