Loose Hand Grip

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
My Honda dealer installed my heated grips when the bike was new. I noticed the other day that the left grip was starting to move around. Either due to the heat or rain we have been having either the glue they used has dissolved or it was never there to start with. Before I take it off what is the recommended way to hold it in place. I assume someday I might want to remove it without damage so epoxy is out of the question. I have heard of dish soap and hairspray but have never tried either. What do you use ?

docta

Here at the Pia Zadora Memorial Golden Buckeye Retirement Home and Assisted Living Center here in eastern Ohio, we currently prefer to use grip glue, available in small tubes at most dealers.....holds, but will release for removal.......over the years, we have successfully used hair spray, as well......be careful to not impair the operation of the grip heater elements......
Always ride safely and keep your airspeed under control.

TW

elizilla

I generally clean and dry both grip and bar thoroughly, then splash in some isopropyl alcohol. Slide the grip on quick before it evaporates. This works pretty well if the bar and grip are clean, and it dries in seconds, you don't have to wait. If I have any doubts about how clean and sticky the grip is, I use hairspray and let it sit overnight to dry.

OP
OP
Warren

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I generally clean and dry both grip and bar thoroughly, then splash in some isopropyl alcohol. Slide the grip on quick before it evaporates. This works pretty well if the bar and grip are clean, and it dries in seconds, you don't have to wait. If I have any doubts about how clean and sticky the grip is, I use hairspray and let it sit overnight to dry.
Thanks,

I checked on the grip glue and it was like $8 for a tube. I already have isopropyl alcohol on the shelf so I will give that a try first.

docta

Thanks,

I checked on the grip glue and it was like $8 for a tube. I already have isopropyl alcohol on the shelf so I will give that a try first.
Must be a big tube......
Always ride safely and keep your airspeed under control.

TW

Bike
2015 Yamaha FZ-07
My grips were loose when I took delivery of my NT, monday. I asked a mechanic with 26 years experience what to use on heated grips and he said the slow dry grip glue is what honda recommends. He used the fast dry stuff on my stock grip and stated that on a heated or regular grip the fast dry grip glue = grip destruction if you want to remove it.

Hope this helps, oh the dealership is Naults Powersports in manchester NH,
Leo

Top Bottom