Low beam out

Bike
'10 Silver NT700
Riding the bike home from work yesterday in the darkening evening when I noticed the low beam was not operational. Pulled up behind a car and noticed no brightness, but I checked at the front of the bike to verify the smaller wattage bulb at the bottom worked, as did the high beam. Thus, I'm assuming I just need to replace the bulb. What's the bulb number I need to get. It's not in the owners manual from what I could find.

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
What you need are the H7 bulb for both high and low.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
[What's the bulb number I need to get. It's not in the owners manual from what I could find.]

Other than a promo for the service manual, have you ever seen any part number in an owner's manual for any vehicle? The job of the owner's manual is to explain the controls and their location.

Bike
2010 NT700V, 2015 CB500X
[What's the bulb number I need to get. It's not in the owners manual from what I could find.]

Other than a promo for the service manual, have you ever seen any part number in an owner's manual for any vehicle? The job of the owner's manual is to explain the controls and their location.
Owners Manual does give part number for spark plugs, which for some last longer than headlight bulbs. It also gives brake fluid type to use (DOT4) and oil type....and that is about it.

I always thought the owners manual job was to give generic warnings, and tell you where the warning labels can be found.

Half of the owners manual for my car was how to use a child seat. I need a child seat owners manual will tell me how use my car. :doh1:

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
55W H7 bulb for high or low beam. If you get the standard Sylvania bulb at Walmart it about $10.00

Last edited:

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
[...Owners Manual does give part number for spark plugs...]

In the truest sense, a part number for Honda is xxxxx-xxx-xxx and if you were ordering parts you'd need that Honda P/N. The NGK or ND number is a model number.

The owner's manual for my Cannondale bicycle devoted about 1/3 to 1/2 of its text to warnings about how bad things could happen if you did or didn't do something. Some pages had three different warnings on the same page!

And good luck on getting it out for it is not easy if you have large hands. And the high beam is even more fun.

OP
OP
Bike
'10 Silver NT700
Luckily I have small hands so getting to the bulb was fairly easy. Used a thimble to push the wire clip out of its holder. OSRAM brand part #64210 H7 12V 55W. $11.45 for a pair of new ones on Ebay, mailed from NY. Now I'll even be able to carry a spare. Score!

Or you can pay $280 and get a box of 100. Just imagine if you could hook them all up at once. A song from Manfred Mann and written by Bruce Springsteen comes to mind. Can you guess what it might be? :^)

JQL

Growing old disgracefully
Bike
2010 NT700 & 2019 FJR1300
You've got the opportunity to upgrade your Low Beam bulb so I would take it.

Try either an HID Xenon kit or, if you don't want to play with electrics, try one of the Phillips hi-power bulbs which are road legal.

Last edited:

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Does anyone know if there is any concern about additional heat generated by a bulb like the Phillips Hi-Power (X-treme) and if it would adversely affect the lense of the headlight unit? Or is that a non-issue.
100/130W rated bulbs have been known to distort, melt, or even ignite :eek1: the plastic headlight housing in some vehicles due to their heat. I've never had a problem, on any vehicle, with headlight bulbs in the 55W to 75W range and the Phillips are 55W according to their spec sheet. The only problem with Phillips is they are not sold in most stores in the US as Sylvania sells the SilverStar brand here. I ran the SilverStar Ultras in my NT with no issues...

Last edited:
Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
I had a issue with the increased intensity lights in my bike, They were putin by dealer wrench and when one burnt out I tooki it back to them to utilize their nimble fingers. The plastic wire connector was burnt brown & melted. they found a old wire harness with a plug on it to splice in and I went back to stock!!

Eldon

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
If you read most of the reviews on the higher intensity bulbs most of them only last about a year. If you are ok with replacing bulbs that often then it would not be a problem for you. I still have my original stock bulbs and after 4 years riding every day they still work.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Does anyone know if there is any concern about additional heat generated by a bulb like the Phillips Hi-Power (X-treme) and if it would adversely affect the lense of the headlight unit? Or is that a non-issue.
I've had them for over a year and, as far as I can tell, they just put out a lot of light. I'm impressed with how far down the road I can see with the Phillips bulbs and my Denalis (especially now that I've got the headlight aimed right).

ken

Bike
2010 Red NT700
I bought a set of SilverStar Ultras from Amazon approximately 30 months ago. They were $15 for two bulbs and have worked great since I put them in. My only complaint is the lack of room to install the bulbs, particularly if you have large hands.
Ken

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Sylvania agreed to a $30 million settlement on a class action lawsuit for false advertising regarding several of its headlamps including the Silverstar and Silverstar Ultra's. This is not to say they are not an improvement over a standard bulb but not as much as Sylvania was advertising.

OP
OP
Bike
'10 Silver NT700
Well, I got a used Sylvania H7 CB Cool Blue bulb from the guy who sits next to me at work. Gonna' try that one and see how it works. I'm all for having a better light and increased visibility. Anyone install a headlight modulator? I had one on my Honda PC800 and think it helped.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Well, I got a used Sylvania H7 CB Cool Blue bulb from the guy who sits next to me at work. Gonna' try that one and see how it works. I'm all for having a better light and increased visibility. Anyone install a headlight modulator? I had one on my Honda PC800 and think it helped.
Regarding headlight modulators. The pros and cons have already been discussed on this forum so I will not repeat them here. I do have an interesting YouTube video that you might want to look at however. It happens to be by an individual that lives in the area that I do and he rides a Burgman 650. The video does not really answer your question but its interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nGL23SWdMo

Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
On my RT I passed a county cop sitting by the side of the road, he jumped in his car and chased me down. Gets out a book, and shows me what he believes is a ordinance that does not allow anything but a emergency vehicle to have a flashing light. We are way out in the county, so I just show him I can turn off the modulation and he lets me ride away. He has a gun, a nice cozy room available with bars for me to spend the night, and a way to just roughen a ride: he is right I am wrong. Could I of protested, sure: but like the guy that cuts you off, no way to win. Once out of his area, modulator was back on. Know when to hold them, no when to fold em, Know when to ride away.

JQL

Growing old disgracefully
Bike
2010 NT700 & 2019 FJR1300
Please, Please, Please don't use modulators while filtering in traffic behind another bike.

I had someone behind me with his modulator on while filtering and it was so distracting that I was unable to concentrate on filtering. I dropped my speed right down to about walking pace just so I could concentrate on the vehicles in front.

The guy got annoyed but, there was no where to pull in to let him pass. After I had made a quite a number of gestures to him to cut the modulator it finally dawned on him why I was going so slowly. He switched it off and we were back up to normal, Paris filtering speeds.

Use them on the open road but, in traffic, someone's going to shoot you.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
John, I've had the same experience, but not in heavy traffic. It was on a Concours Owners Group ride and the guy was on a BMW K75. He stayed behind me for about 175 of the 250 miles we rode and refused to turn off his modulator even after I asked him (nicely -- the first time!) to turn it off. I told him how annoying and distracting it was and he just said that it made him more visible.

Top Bottom