Lower Rear Suspension Bolt

Bike just went in to have a new rear disc fitted. When I went to collect it I was shown my bottom suspension mounting bolt which had been sitting there loose with the threaded section sheared off. This was potentially dangerous. Might be worth checking yours. The bolts cost about ?5. I will be talking to Honda this week in case it's a recall issue.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I doubt if it's a Recall although anything is possible - at least there's no word on this side of he pond. The nut for that bolt is the self-locking type so if it was tightened correctly at the factory, it's highly unlikely that it would have unthreaded itself.

It's hard to imagine the lower shock mount "shearing" that bolt. Are you sure it wasn't just pushed way far to the right with the nut off? It's an allen bolt with the head on the right side of the shock mount and nut on the left. And the head of the bolt fits tightly into a recess in the shock mount. Visual access is only possible from the left side, looking around/under the preload adjuster. From the rght side, there is too much stuff in the way.

Last edited:
OP
OP
The bolt has never been disturbed since the factory. My local engineer reckons either overtightened at the factory or an over cut thread.
Either way there may be others waiting to fail.

Top Bottom