Lowered Footpegs .... calling all non-sadists

Bike
NT700v, MG v85tt, KTM 690
Has anyone installed lower footpegs? The NT definitely has one in a sporty position and a little leg room would help. I'm looking at these and they say lower 1- 3/8". Is that too much? would it scrape in turns? Interested to hear other's choice / experience with lowered footpegs for the NT700v.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
???? We are talking about the NT 700v 2010-2011?????
I am six ft 2 inches and I thought they were just right. My Honda VFR has pegs higher but I am very limber.....I have a bad back and have to do stretching exercises like bringing my heal up to my butt and knee to my chest. Those foot pegs you linked look well made...for $150 they better be!

OP
OP
Pbro63
Bike
???? We are talking about the NT 700v 2010-2011?????
I am six ft 2 inches and I thought they were just right. My Honda VFR has pegs higher but I am very limber.....I have a bad back and have to do stretching exercises like bringing my heal up to my butt and knee to my chest. Those foot pegs you linked look well made...for $150 they better be!
Yes its the 2010 and I'm only 5' - 9" but I'm a bit spoiled by the leg room on my v85tt. When riding the nt700 I'm always feeling the bend. The thread title is for levity and a bit of an exaggeration for sure, but I do like to ride longer distances and would appreciate less bend at the knee. I have rearward bar risers installed that have me in a bit more of a sit up position so the feet under butt position may feel a bit more severe because of that..... ahh yes they are pricey but comfort items like a seat and adjustments to the riding triangle and suspension tend to be $$ well spent. I'm thinking that they may be lower than needed and also make contact with the ground during spirited riding.

Fieroguy

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Unfortunately, even though I am only 5'10", I am not as limber as our friend, Mr. Coyote. I have the Motorcycle Larry variety of lowering pegs which I believe were designed specifically for the the NT, but are no longer available. IIRC, they were advertised as lowering by 1". On the plus side, 1" makes a huge difference and I found immediate relief from the previous cramped riding position. On the down side, it does in fact reduce ground clearance and I have scraped pegs on a few occasions, and I am by no means a "spirited" rider. The first time it happened, was a little unsettling, but because the stock internal spring system is maintained, it didn't dig in and send me into a high-side. When it's happened since then, it's more of a "oh, there you are" moment. Be advised that adjustment to shifter and brake pedal will be required and it took me a while to get that just right. For some reason the brake light wouldn't come on, so I had to futz with it for a bit.

Be advised that aftermarket lowering pegs does change things in some unexpected ways. The design on mine actually pushes the peg out further away from the frame, so in order to shift or brake I have to make a "toe in" type of maneuver that wasn't necessary in the stock location. Also, the pegs you are looking at appear to be longer that stock and will result in the same condition I just described. That might mean even less clearance in corners, although I can't be certain.

Good luck!

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Like Fieroguy, I put Motorcycle Larry lowering pegs on my first NT. I would occasionally drag a peg with them on. When I lowered the bike, I took them off and was surprised that I didn't drag a peg as often as I had with them on and the bike unlowered. After my 5th knee replacement, my right leg didn't bend as much as it used to and I thought I needed the peg lowerers. But it turned out I didn't. Now with the Russell Sport Seat, I'm about an inch lower in seat height and I've pretty much adjusted to riding with stock pegs and peg height.

OP
OP
Pbro63
Bike
another cheaper and may-may-not work option...

These look promising as to their range of adjustability. I have contact the seller to see if they have one for hondas.
Thank you

silshooter

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700
I have the Motorcycle Larry peg kit on mine, since 2014. Yes it is easy to drag the peg in a turn, and shifter/rear brake lever require adjustment. More comfort for my old knees, certainly extends my riding time before required breaks. I do stand up while riding regularly, these units are strong.

Bike
2010 NT700V
Has anyone installed lower footpegs? The NT definitely has one in a sporty position and a little leg room would help. I'm looking at these and they say lower 1- 3/8". Is that too much? would it scrape in turns? Interested to hear other's choice / experience with lowered footpegs for the NT700v.
I still have stock pegs on the NT, but I have installed KD lowered pegs on my other Hondas. They aren't lower than the stock pegs as far as the space they occupy. What I mean by that is the Honda pegs are really chunky. The bottom of the KD pegs are essentially the same level as the peg feelers would be on the stock pegs. KD has gained the added space by lack of rubber pad and utilizing the distance by lack of feeler. So if you managed to touch the KD lowered peg down, you would be touching the stock peg feelers down. On the NT that's pretty far leaned over, I've touched a feeler down only once, and that was when I was doing a spirited ride up a very twisty road with a sports car club tailing behind me.

I would think you should be fine. Regardless of peg outfitted, smart foot placement in corners is paramount and something I always follow. The inside foot on a corner should be going up to its ball on the peg. Never leave the inside foot on on its arch on the peg entering a corner. Shifting body weight to the inside will further decrease required lean angle per given corner speed. You probably already know all this.

This is a photo showing stock next to KD illustrating what I mean that it isn't physically lower:
kdvstock - Copy.jpg

OP
OP
Pbro63
Bike
Thanks for the intel. so the footpeg is the feeler :p, they rightly chamfered that edge. KD has rubber topped pegs now, but evidently not enough demand for the NT 700 designated ones. Gets me wondering if the NT's footpegs are a direct match for a more popular model.

Sunny

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700VA, R1150GS
These look promising as to their range of adjustability. I have contact the seller to see if they have one for hondas.
Thank you
It is mentioned on this forum that the Goldwing pegs fitted the NT .. so that is another compatible model that you can search for ...

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Saw one of those V85TTs on tour. Sharp looking bike! I bought risers for my NT but never put them on. With my bad back, having the back curve a bit really helps it. A Harley would kill me in about half an hour. Somewhere in internet land there is a website on the eronomics of various bikes....you pick your bike and then put in your measurements. and it gives you a pic with angles of various parts of your body.....

OP
OP
Pbro63
Bike
Saw one of those V85TTs on tour. Sharp looking bike! I bought risers for my NT but never put them on. With my bad back, having the back curve a bit really helps it. A Harley would kill me in about half an hour. Somewhere in internet land there is a website on the eronomics of various bikes....you pick your bike and then put in your measurements. and it gives you a pic with angles of various parts of your body.....
I've got risers on the NT, like them alot . 2"

The v85 is my off road travel bike. Customized it to lose quite a bit of weight .
Finest bike I've ever owned.

DSCF2984 (2).jpg DSCF3003.jpg

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I first saw this type of Guzzi in 2018 at the Reno Naitonal air races. He camped out in the Catholic church yard with us. I thought this Guzzi look really cool and took a pic of it.
a guzzi.JPG

OP
OP
Pbro63
Bike
I first saw this type of Guzzi in 2018 at the Reno Naitonal air races. He camped out in the Catholic church yard with us. I thought this Guzzi look really cool and took a pic of it.
a guzzi.JPG
Nice , that is a MG NTX which is a water cooled1200cc adventure bike recently discontinued likely due to emissions. The v85tt is a new design , 850cc and air cooled. No other shaft drive mid weight adv bikes on the market. Alot like the NT700 just a different market segment.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Pbro63
Bike
I ended up getting the Knight design footpegs and am very pleased with the improved leg room. One of the reasons I felt the leg room was too cramped was because the custom Corbin seat lowered the seat height quite a bit. Haven't scraped them , but then again I haven't done any canyon rides yet. Also made this custom exhaust shield from a found item off a KTM ! : ) It really matches the lines and look of the bike with the Delkevic exhaust.
20220420_011034.jpg

Bike
Honda CBR 600F-2/NT700V

I installed older CBR 600 OEM pegs on my NT and what I got is 4 mm lower and 10 mm back a noticeable difference, don't drag in corners but I did shorten the feelers.

JQL

Growing old disgracefully
Bike
2010 NT700 & 2019 FJR1300
I bought a set of lowered pegs for the NT700 but never fitted them. The reason?

Well, I keep scrapping the original pegs on the corners so I thought the lowered ones would be ground down to nothing in no time at all!

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
When I lowered my NT, I expected to be dragging pegs, so I removed the peg lowerers and forced myself to adapt. To my surprise, even with the bike lowered an inch, stock pegs didn't drag as much as the Motorcycle Larry lowered pegs did on a bike that was at stock height. I think part of the improvement was due to the fact that the MCL peg lowerers moved the pegs out from the bike's centerline almost as much as they lowered them.

Fieroguy

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700
I am in agreement with you Phil... the Motorcycle Larry lowering pegs have the unfortunate effect of moving pegs further out, therefore compounding the clearance issue with the pavement on turns. They do offer extended legroom for those of use with long limbs, but the tradeoff isn't preferable either. The only reason I haven't removed them and gone back to stock location is all of the adjustments I had to make to the shifter and brake lever locations to get them in a somewhat usable location. Now that I see your reply, I think I'll change it back and try it again.

Top Bottom