Maritime Canada

Bike
Bonneville T120
The wife and I are headed out to New Brunswick and Nova Scotia tomorrow. I'll be on the NT and the wife on her Burgman 400. It will just be a 4 day trip and we won't get an early start as the summer geology course I'm teaching ends tomorrow with an exam. As soon as I get grades in it's off to New Brunswick. I'm afraid we won't make it to the Cabot Trail, that will have to wait for another trip. We'll be spending most of our time in the vicinity of the Bay of Fundy.

Look for a summary of the trip and pictures next week.

OP
OP
vzshadow
Bike
Bonneville T120
Suzie and I returned safely from Nova Scotia and New Brunswick. Her Burgman and my NT both performed admirably, though the handlebar vibrations on the NT got old. We did about 950 miles.

Day 1. From Bangor we took route 9 (The Airline) east to Calais where we uneventfully crossed into Canada. From there we took route 1 through Saint John to Sussex where we spent the first night at Johan Place.

Day 2. We jumped back on route one heading for Moncton but instead jumped on route 114, a provincial highway, towards the coast, which took us through Fundy National Park. At Alma we diverged onto 915, the scenic route. Both 114 and 915 were okay, but the asphalt was not consistent. This led back to 114, past Hopewell Rocks and into Moncton. We took 106 to Sackville and then got on the Trans-Canada Highway. At Amherst we got the 302 to the 242 over to Joggins, a former coal mining community. Here we visited Joggins Fossil Cliffs, a world heritage site. After our visit we back-tracked to 302 and on down to Parrsboro where we spent the night a the Gillespie House Inn.

Day 3. We headed east on route 2 towards Truro. At Great Village I made a wrong turn and we wound up on a dirt road in the middle of Nowheresville, NS. Eventually we found an entrance to the Trans-Canada, which took us across the pass over the Cobequid Highlands. We then followed the Trans-Canada all the way to Fredericton. This town has a population of about 50,000 but has the feel of a much larger town because of the two universities and it is the provincial capital. Good restaurants and shops. We stayed at the Carriage House Inn.

Day 4. We started the day with a two-up ride to the Mactaquac Dam and back. Then, we took the 102 towards Maine until it ended. From there, anxious to get home, we took the Trans-Canada and I-95 to Bangor. Actually we took route 2 the last 30 miles.

Over all the road quality is good, but the more significant the road, the better the road surface. The inns in which we stayed were a bit on the pricy side, but it was our 37th anniversary getaway trip so what the heck. I recommend them all. The food was good and the people were friendly and helpful. The scenery was spectacular with one exception. Every time we got near the Bay of Fundy it got foggy, clammy, and overcast. The temperature also dropped 10 to 15?F. As a consequence, the photographic evidence is slim. I was told that in late summer, fog is the norm. I have been up this way before, but I forgot how rugged the terrain is. Some stretched of the Trans-Canada really take you into some desolate areas. I heartily recommend Maritime Canada!

bicyclist

Did they ask you to remove your helmets at the border crossing? That seems to be something new they're doing.

Yeah, lots of fog up there, especially early.

MAC

Dan,
NS is a great place. My wife, Daughter and I went last year, our goal was to do the Cabot Trail and rode it on the "inside" as they say. " Inside " means you ride with the water on your left, starting on the west side riding North ( NORD ) and come South ( SUD ) on the east side. Riding the "outside" is East side up and west side down.

We have plans to go back ASAP.

OP
OP
vzshadow
Bike
Bonneville T120
I honestly can't remember if we had to remove our helmets going into Canada. Coming back, I had to remove my helmet but my wife did not. I guess we have now confirmed who is the most suspicious looking of the two.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Dan,
Am glad you enjoyed your tour. That is a lovely area--and the people are very friendly to motorcyclists.

Bike
2010 NT700V Red
I did that ride a couple of years back on El Nino my trusty old Ninja. Riding to NS from OR was a bit further but it was a great trip, I really had a fun ride. I guess I'll be selling El Nino since I'm picking up my NT this coming week, at least that's the hint I'm getting around the house. Instead of keeping a trip diary I like to create a blog about it with pics & readers comments like this: http://larrylarry7575.blogspot.com/

LL75

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Another ex-Kawaman. Did Quebec, NB, and NS in '09 with my green Ninja 250R. It was a great bike but a little much for my 69 year old bod. Got the NT-700 last Nov. and plan to put a sidecar on her. There is an outfit out your way in WA, DMC who will do a sidecar for the NT. I have to wait for them to produce a kit or go with EMS. We'll see. Thanks for sharing your exploits and scenic photos.

Bike
2010 NT700V Red
Another ex-Kawaman. Did Quebec, NB, and NS in '09 with my green Ninja 250R. It was a great bike but a little much for my 69 year old bod. Got the NT-700 last Nov. and plan to put a sidecar on her. There is an outfit out your way in WA, DMC who will do a sidecar for the NT. I have to wait for them to produce a kit or go with EMS. We'll see. Thanks for sharing your exploits and scenic photos.
Hi Sailareal,

I had those same folks you're considering install my Sputnik hack on my Aprilia Pegaso 650. The finished job (which I had to take care of myself!) has been fine but the project itself was a nightmare. I'm not in the habit of flaming anyone as I know there are issues that can occur in any shop. (Wow, I just erased a long line of commentary that after reading it over decided against posting!) Let me just offer up this suggestion: Do your homework and research the heck out of those guys before you agree to any work, you may be suprised at what you find.

Hacks are a great way to go but if you've not experienced them before make sure you do prior to investing your $$$. If you're among the select few who have then you already understand the riding differences between 2-wheelers and hacks.

Good luck,

LL75 :)

MAC

can't remember if we had to remove our helmets going into Canada.
Dan, my Daughter and I had to remove our helmets, going in to Canada and coming back into the US, but all my wife had to do is flip hers open. They just want to make sure it's the same mugg that's on the passport. LOL We only needed the PP on the way back in the US, just showed my DL on the way into Canada.

Top Bottom