MC Camping New England Advice needed

Bike
2012 Kawasaki Concours 14
I am riding to the New England states in a few weeks to see the scenery up there (I've never been to that part of the country). I'm packing light with the following basic set up: Eureka Solo Tent, Thermarest Trail Lite pad, Koppen sleeping bag (40 degree), and some basics. I don't plan on cooking. I plan on a 6 days or so of touring and camping. I would like to see the best mountainous (hilly for you westerners) and scenic areas that I can.
I am torn between making a base camp, probably in the White Mountains of NH, and travelling each day or packing up and staying in a different place every night or two. If anyone has any advice, I am open to suggestions on:
1) Where to stay (I would like campgrounds with hot showers and access to basic supplies).
2) For those who live up that way: would I be better camping in several different places during the week, or making a base camp in northern NH?
3) Are there any "must ride" scenic roads that you would suggest?
4) Anyone up that way that would like to meet up for a ride or a meal, I would be game for that as well.
5) Has anyone used the gear I have listed? I've never camped by mc before, so this gear is new to me.

I'm planning on June 22-29, but may vary depending on the forecast as that week approaches.

Thanks,
Jeff

Bike
Bonneville T120
Jeff,
The best ride we did was a loop that brought us back towards North Conway through Crawford Notch. It reminded me of Glen Coe in western Scotland, except the mountains had trees instead of heather. I'll see if I can used google maps to put together a ride or two and send you a PM.
Dan

OP
OP
vacanefan
Bike
I've revised the trip dates to a week earlier. I'll be leaving VA on Friday and riding to Skaneatelles, NY to meet up with my brothers for a round of golf on Saturday am, followed by the always enjoyable few beers and catching up. Sunday morning I'll ride across NY and VT, ending at Lafeyette Place Campground in Franconia Notch, NH. I'll have 5 days of camping there on a river site with what looks like some great rides each day through NH, VT and ME. I haven't picked out all of the rides yet, but I'll surely ride the Kanc, a ride to the top of Mount Washington and a tour of "moose alley" in northern NH. Anyone wanting to join in for a day of riding up there is welcome. I'll be there Sunday, June 16th through Friday, June 22nd. I'm looking forward to seeing this part of the country for the first time.

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
Something in the area
http://koa.com/campgrounds/littleton/photos/
To give you some scale I rode from Hampden, MA to Lake George, NY via rts 91 to 2 going and rts 9 to 91 going home. I left at 0600 and got back at 2130. That included stopping on a regular basis for coffee and such (rental returns) the back roads around upstate NY are awesome. start with rt 20 east till past Syracuse and then head up into Adorandack Park via Uttica rt 8http://riversidepines.com/Facilities.htmor http://www.ranchopines.com/ send the night and then head to New Hampshire the next day... Your trip will be much different if you take your time and take the byways. You can get in the fast lane and do miles or do the tight and technical with the "fresh country air" (cows provide most of it). Your choice.

OP
OP
vacanefan
Bike
Thanks for the links, Karl. I always prefer to take the scenic, rural route when time allows. I grew up in rural New York, but I have never been to the New England states. I'm looking forward to it. I find myself surfing the web each night looking at the sights and rides in that area in anticipation of the trip.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
I grew up in Central NY--Syracuse. Southwest of Syracuse there is the Finger Lakes Region beginning in Skaneateles. Going through the Adirondacks to Vermont and then NH is a great trip. If you get up to Maine, PM me. I know the Midcoast area well.

Top Bottom