MCL Bar Clamp w/power...HELP!

cosmicnt

OK guess I'm being ignorant and probably won't be the last time but I got my MCL bar clamp with power outlet. My question is the power outlet is small, I can't plug my GPS nor my phone charger into it.....what's up with that LOL??? :confused:

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
The clamp comes with a Powerlet outlet, not a standard automotive "cigarette lighter" style. You need an adapter, like this one, to "up size" it to a cigarette lighter style plug... Poke around the Powerlet website and you will see all sorts of options...

OP
OP

cosmicnt

Thx for the reply!...knew it would be simple and of cousrse cost more money LOL. Guess this makes it very versitile. Thx again, getting the credit card out now...they love me!

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
The cigarette lighter plug will work, but it is not as secure as the "powerlet" style plug. If you have plans to use the GPS with only the bike, it would be better to get a powelet plug and replace the cigar lighter plug. You can also get a separate cord for most GPS systems on the powerlet.com website. The powerlet plug will not jiggle loose like a cigarette lighter plug will.

Mike

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I agree about the cigarette lighter plug being of dubious quality when compared to a Powerlet plug. I've put over 70-80k on
some of my Powerlet stuff and have never had a bit of trouble.

tawilke46

+1 on the Powerlet vs the cigarette lighter. Powerlets work much better. BMW uses them as standard outlets on their bikes.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
You are correct in that GPD receivers use a lower voltage than 12VDC. However the connecting cord usually has the regulator built into it, not the plug, so if you just cut off the cigarette lighter plug and replace it with a powerlet, you should be OK. You can see the regulator on the cord as an enlarged cylindrical portion on the cord. Just make sure that you keep the polarity correct.

MIke

Bike
2013 FJR 1300
You are correct in that GPD receivers use a lower voltage than 12VDC. However the connecting cord usually has the regulator built into it, not the plug, so if you just cut off the cigarette lighter plug and replace it with a powerlet, you should be OK. You can see the regulator on the cord as an enlarged cylindrical portion on the cord. Just make sure that you keep the polarity correct.

MIke
Could go either way, actually. Which GPS are we talking about?

OP
OP

cosmicnt

Haven't decided which route I will take yet but I'm thrilled to learn I can plug my battery tender to it..way cool. Thx again for all the help.

Top Bottom