Meandering

elizilla

I am on vacation this week. With the heat I'm not getting many miles in. I was going to leave Saturday, then I was going to leave Sunday, but it was so hot and I was finding things to do to keep busy at home. Monday when I got up, we were having massive thunderstorms with heavy rain. It was cool behind the storms, so I left then. It didn't stay cool for long, though, and I found more storms as I headed south. I had planned to camp but I ended up getting a motel room rather than camp in a lightning storm. This morning it was still hot.

Today I visited Iron Pony and bought one of those evaporative cooling vests. Seems to work OK but it's still steamy here. I'm at the Lafayette, in Marietta OH, tonight. This is a cool historic hotel. I have stayed here before and I always like it. The room am in in has a canopy bed and padded window seats overlooking the river, and cost me less than I'd have spent for a boring modern hotel out by the freeway. We should have an NT gathering here. :)

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I stayed in Marietta before. Nice area! On the banks of the Muskingum River IIRC. Have a safe trip!

Mike

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
I am on vacation this week. With the heat I'm not getting many miles in. I was going to leave Saturday, then I was going to leave Sunday, but it was so hot and I was finding things to do to keep busy at home. Monday when I got up, we were having massive thunderstorms with heavy rain. It was cool behind the storms, so I left then. It didn't stay cool for long, though, and I found more storms as I headed south. I had planned to camp but I ended up getting a motel room rather than camp in a lightning storm. This morning it was still hot.

Today I visited Iron Pony and bought one of those evaporative cooling vests. Seems to work OK but it's still steamy here. I'm at the Lafayette, in Marietta OH, tonight. This is a cool historic hotel. I have stayed here before and I always like it. The room am in in has a canopy bed and padded window seats overlooking the river, and cost me less than I'd have spent for a boring modern hotel out by the freeway. We should have an NT gathering here. :)
The vests are useless IMO... save your money and go to wallmart, they have chamois for drying off cars that are colored, not chamois material... anyway, you can soak those in water and put around your neck which is more effective than a vest anyway...

Good luck and keep hydrated.

keystone

Hi Katherine. I'm glad you're having an adventure. I like your idea of having a NT gathering there. I live north of that area and there are some great rides with beautiful scenery in that part of the state.

Stay safe and please keep us updated.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700 ABS
Looks like an amazing amount of twisties in that area. I'm jealous. Have fun wandering around.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
I think that I have become a believer in Global Warming---been wicked hot in Maine.

bicyclist

Tsk,tsk,tsk, Alex. "Global Warming" is not pc. It's "Climate Change".:rolleyes1:

Katherine, great idea to have a meetup there. Maybe October? Keep track of all the interesting places we need to check out and have fun on your ride.

OP
OP

elizilla

Tonight I am in Erie PA. There's an event called Roar on the Shore here, starting tomorrow. Normally, events that have beer sponsors and advertise that bands are playing, are not my scene. And I had originally planned to be in NC by now. But the Yamaha demo truck is coming here, and it's just hotter when you go farther south. So I'm going to try and score a demo ride on a Super Tenere. Hopefully I can get in and out quickly before the cruiser traffic jams get too bad.

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
It will be good to hear your impressions on the bike.. My SuperT should be here in August if not sooner.

It won't replace my ST - I have other plans for that - but, it should give me some additional options for riding some back roads.

keystone

I hear what your saying about that bike event. Geneva-on-the-Lake which is just to the west of Erie has a similar event in August called "Thunder on the Lake". A lot of loud cruisers ridden by drunk people. Not my scene either.

OP
OP

elizilla

I did get my S-10 ride this morning. I'll write more details later. Right now I am exhausted. I meandered too much before I started looking for a room, and then it took me four hours to find a motel with a vacancy. I'd have just camped if I'd known it would be so hard to find a room, but once it gets dark it's hard to set up a tent. I don't know what this place is called, but it's exit 62 off I-79 in WV. Tomorrow night I'll be camping at Willville.

OP
OP

elizilla

I am home. Camped at Willville on Friday and Saturday nights. My cellular broadband router did not connect from there so I couldn't post. I thought I would go back to the Lafayette last night, but there was still more than an hour of daylight when I got to Marietta, so I decided to shoot on home. Rode the last few hours in the dark, but doing that on flat land, on a slab I know like the back of my hand, and with a known bed waiting at the end, is not nearly so wearing as hunting for an uncertain motel room in a less familiar area. :)

So... details...

1. The cool vest is a Hyperkewl brand, and it works well. But carrying it around wet, if it's not used for a few days it gets kinda funky. This morning I'll find out how it tolerates a trip through the washing machine. Assuming it makes it through OK, I suppose that long term I will need to learn to take it out and air it every night even if I don't use it that day. Can't really pack it dry while traveling because it never seems to get dry. Which I suppose has to be considered a feature, but it's still kind of a nuisance. It soaks up a LOT of water without dripping! It takes time to soak up all that water, though, so you can't just wet it when you need it; you do have to carry it wet. Packed wet, it is yet another heavy object in the luggage. I think putting ice in the bag is overkill. Just water is enough, though I suppose keeping it iced reduces the chance of funk.

2. The Super Tenere. I like it. I like it a lot. It feels lighter than the NT and it fits me better. The wide bars make it feel more agile, and they're closer to the rider than on the NT. There is more leg room and my feet are under me where I like them. The tank feels very narrow between my knees, like a dirt bike. You can't tell how a seat will feel after a long ride, from a 14 mile test ride, but it felt fine on the test ride, nothing bad was apparent. Getting on the SuperTen after a couple of long days on the NT had beat my body up, I felt instantly more comfortable on the SuperTen, with its better leg room and comfortable wide bars. Less wind protection, but I've never been as enamored of big fairings as some people are. I'm always wearing full gear and most of my past bikes have been closer to naked; the NT has far more fairing than I have ever had before. In motion, there was a little less vibration than the NT and it didn't seem to give any more wind noise, even though the windshield is so much smaller. More air found its way into my jacket vents though. There are two modes, "Sport" and "Tour", which you can change using a button on the right side. Both modes have way more power than the NT. There is a noticeable jerk on and off throttle, which is common to bikes with FI - the NT does it too but with our lower power/weight ratio, it's far less bothersome. My old V-Strom 1000 had that jerk. You get used to it, to some extent, but it's the one thing I dislike about FI as opposed to well-sorted carbs. In motion it felt like a firmer, smoother, more powerful TDM - and I adore the way my TDM rides, the handling is why it stays here year after year even though I don't think it's good for traveling (engine is too busy at highway speeds, which is tiring on a long day). I could see the SuperTen replacing every bike in my garage - I could become a one-bike woman again. (At least until the next shiny thing comes along. :) ) I liked it so much that the only thing that would stop me ordering one next winter, is if Honda brings us a new choice in that category, for me to also consider.

3. The trip. I rode lots of twisty roads. My friend Phil (different Phil) can reel off route numbers until my eyes cross; I'll spare you that. But some highlights were US250 in WV, and a road called Squirrel Spur near Willville. The weather was pretty good, apart from the heat on the first few days, heavy rain on Saturday morning, and some intermittent light rain yesterday. I slept well in my tent; the temperatures were comfortable. Glad I came home today - it's a scorcher out there right now. On Friday night we went to Floyd VA and listened to some of the bands that play on the street, which was fun. As usual I carried my camera all the way and failed to take any pictures. I need to update my NT map, color in Pennsylvania.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
Welcome home! Sounds like it was a great trip.

- Super Tenere -
The Canadian PDP orders have hit the shores and some of them are expecting delivery, maybe this or next week.. Their letters from Yamaha indicated by the end of July so they are on track.

The U.S. PDP orders were told by the end of Aug so as you can imagine, my feet are tapping in anticipation. I really liked my 10-mile test ride a few months ago and can't wait to put some real miles on it.

I don't think I'll sell my ST1300, it just set up perfectly for me and I know it inside and out. We'll see. Worst case scenario is I have to sell it due to finances but it's paid for and I think what I get would pay off the Tenere so I'd still end up with a paid-off bike. Also, if the Tenere wasn't to my liking, there are many sitting back ready for used ones to show up.

There's a lot of info at the http://www.yamahasupertenere.com/index.php site, I don't go to advrider much, a bit too raw for my tastes but there's info there as well.

I've heard a lot of great things about Yamaha so that's promising. I've only ever had Hondas so crossing that brand-loyalty is a bit tough.

The Cross Tourer has been seen in spy photos so that could be it will be out early 2012. One thing the GS and the Tenere share are tubless tires due to the wheel/spoke design which is something that really pushed me over the edge. It doesn't look like the Honda will have that feature but, just guessing there.

OP
OP

elizilla

The Cross Tourer has been seen in spy photos, and will likely be released at some point, but will it come to the USA? The Cross Runner is out, in Europe - there are reviews from normal people, even. And that is a bike that could almost tempt me back to chains. But it's not here! Wah!!!

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
The Cross Tourer has been seen in spy photos, and will likely be released at some point, but will it come to the USA? The Cross Runner is out, in Europe - there are reviews from normal people, even. And that is a bike that could almost tempt me back to chains. But it's not here! Wah!!!
The reviews I've read have stated it's simply the previous VFR800 with new plastic. I'm not crazy about chains but my ST has had a u-joint failure so I'm not so sure there's a bulletproof drive solution.

OP
OP

elizilla

I thought it also has new frame geometry, more standard seating, as well as the new plastic, and perhaps longer suspension? If so, it sounds great. I love what the VFR has to offer, as far as the powerplant goes, and even the ergoes aren't too bad. An adventure-style VFR would be darn close to my dream bike.

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
I thought it also has new frame geometry, more standard seating, as well as the new plastic, and perhaps longer suspension? If so, it sounds great. I love what the VFR has to offer, as far as the powerplant goes, and even the ergoes aren't too bad. An adventure-style VFR would be darn close to my dream bike.
I really thing the Cross Tourer is targeting that objective.. I sure hope they release it. I remember when the new GL1800 came out, the spy photos followed it's debut.

OP
OP

elizilla

I'm hoping to cadge a demo ride on a VFR1200 DCT sometime this summer. If they announce a Cross Tourer I need to be ready to decide whether to get the DCT or the regular, so I can order one right away. :)

Top Bottom