2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Re: Handlebar Dimensions

That's what I thought. Thanks.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS

I find it difficult to look at photos or dimensions of handlebars and find something that works for me. The best way is to sit on a bike that has those bars. Not only is the rise, pullback, and width a factor but some bars rise even higher at the grips.

I could be wrong but I believe the rise is measured where the bar bends from vertical to horizontal, but not at the grips.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter

I agree it is very difficult to look at a picture and be able to tell if they are right for you...

Starting at the beginning the stock NT handlebar dimensions are listed below. This was sourced from SideRoadCycles.

EDIT: The numbers in Italic Red are being reported as incorrect so measure your bars before beginning!

Honda Model: NV 700 V
Honda Description: Touring
Year: 2010 - 2013
Bar Diameter: 7/8"
Height: 6"
Width: 28"
Pullback: 9"
Center: 5-1/2"
Clamp Area: 4"

To confirm those numbers, which I would if I were buying new handlebars, this video from Dennis Kirk shows how to measure handlebars:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FWedYt7XJE

Now if you want to replace your bars, and know which measurement you're trying to change, you can compare the stock size with the ones you are considering. Adding risers mostly impacts the "Height" measurement. But as you added height it allows more adjustment in the "Pullback" range since the bar comes slightly backward as you raise it on the risers.

I have changed out bars on a couple of bikes over the years and there are several "gotchas" to watch for... Clutch cable length is the first thing that usually comes to mind on the NT due to some folks needing a TransAlp cable when using risers. But hydraulic brake lines or clutch lines can get expensive fast...and bleeding them can be "fun". The worst PITA is when you find out your wiring harness is too short...that can be rewired but it isn't fun...

Last edited:
OP
OP

bicyclist

Width: 28"
Pullback: 9"
I'm afraid that SideRoadCycles got it wrong. My tape may not be perfectly accurate, but it isn't off by 5 inches. I measured the pullback in the same way that the Dennis Kirk video shows. To avoid confusion, you might want to change that figure, Wayne. Someone may look at those figures rather than looking at pics of a tape measure against an actual handlebar.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter

That is why I said "To confirm those numbers, which I would if I were buying new handlebars, this video from Dennis Kirk shows how to measure handlebars" What are the correct measurements so we have them here? I noted they are incorrect in my post above!

Last edited:
OP
OP

bicyclist

What are the correct measurements so we have them here?
Around 4". Click on the 3rd pic in my original post.

I was having trouble with the photo hosting site, but now have the pics there so they can be seen without clicking on anything.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP

bicyclist

Do you think I should delete the pics of the BMW bar? Shouldn't be too confusing since I posted that the chrome bar is Honda and the black bar is BMW.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom