[Review] Mesh Seat Cover

Sunny

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700VA, R1150GS
Recently riding in the heat was baking my butt, so I was thinking of solutions. Then I remembered I had bought a mesh cover (it is supposed to keep your seat and butt cool.) long time back that was too small for NT and too big for GS (separate rider and passenger seats). The front pointy ends of the seat were not letting it fit.

I tried giving it away to friends, but that was not meant to be …

.... till few nights back , I had a light bulb moment (instead of putting front in, why not put the back in), if in the process the mesh cover gets destroyed, well , it was not getting used anyhow.

I started experimenting on various combinations of tying the mesh to the front of the seat to get the best fit.

The final setup does not cover the front pointy ends, but they are typically not used

Did a 100mile / 3hr Test ride today (highway, twisty mountain roads, twisty mountain roads with big and small potholes, twisty slow state highway) and the temp were upper 70ies to lower 80ies.

For me at least the mesh cover was a success, my pants were cool and not swampy .. I could literally feel the air flow … there was no slip and sliding between me and the cover and the cover and the seat, the cover was well planted and stable. There was no bunching of the mesh, or the mesh putting pressure on the butt and being uncomfortable. The seat was also stable, no issue in locking the seat.

So I would recommend them. for like $20ish, it worked relatively well.

1629150923268.png

1629150933474.png

If I did not have this lying around, I would have tried the longer cover in the image below.
1629151225033.png

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
For hot weather, it's difficult to improve on the airflow-under-butt provided by a beaded seat cover. And if you're caught in the rain, the beads keep you from sitting in water and eventually soaking through! I've been using them for years and do have a mesh seat cover on my other bike. :)

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
+1 on the beaded seat cover! But, DO NOT get the ceramic beads, get the wood ones! If you will recall, a lot of cookware is made of ceramic material because it retains heat well. Indeed it does! This is the voice of experience talking to you.....

🥵

Mike

Bike
2010 Red NT700V
I loved my sheepskin pad for hot or cold weather, it was the best. Of course any rain would sort of ruin the experience....

Bike
KLR650, Red NT700V, YZFR3
I loved my sheepskin pad for hot or cold weather, it was the best. Of course any rain would sort of ruin the experience....
I use a sheepskin pad that is attached with velcro and is easily removal in the event of rain.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R, NT700
Got my GF one for her NT700 at

seems she likes it a lot

Will try the 2nd one on my ST1100 during the coming 2 weeks tour...

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
MikeSim - I have the Beadrider/w ceramic beads and I have never noticed the heat from the rollers? I had the original wooden bead version for years and years and finally replaced it with the "upscale" version. :)

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
MikeSim - I have the Beadrider/w ceramic beads and I have never noticed the heat from the rollers? I had the original wooden bead version for years and years and finally replaced it with the "upscale" version. :)
Tosh, let the bike sit out in the hot summer sun for several hours and then hop on board and you will see what I mean. Your tush will get scorched. You have to alternate cheeks from side to side 'til the ceramic beads cool down.

Mike

OP
OP
Sunny

Sunny

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700VA, R1150GS
Tosh, let the bike sit out in the hot summer sun for several hours and then hop on board and you will see what I mean. Your tush will get scorched. You have to alternate cheeks from side to side 'til the ceramic beads cool down.

Mike
1629387326907.png

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R, NT700
Whilst the Air Flow cover fits nicely on the NT700 seat...

IMG_20210821_135017.jpg

... did I not find a way to install it on the ST1100... just not enough gaps between pan, frame, tank or the false tank and side covers...

However, I intended it for the NT over it's concave shaped seat anyway, leaving you sitting in a pool of water while riding in the rain...
The seat on the ST is convex, rain no issue there...

Top Bottom