Meters Circuit Board Pictures

JQL

Growing old disgracefully
Bike
2010 NT700 & 2019 FJR1300
Being an idiot I want to drill a small 8mm hole into the meters. It's to install a small LED.

There is a nice space top left above where the fuel gauge and the speedo meet. Before I start ripping everything out I wonder if anyone has a picture of the circuit board in this area and whether it's feasible to drill a hole here?

Many thanks

Last edited:

bicyclist

Can't answer your question, but I'm curious why you want it there rather than some easier place.

OP
OP
JQL

JQL

Bike
Because I think it will look better i.e. like original equipment...

At the same time, if poss, I'll put another hole on the other side and fit an LED indicator for the rear fog light.

I only do easy if it's right...

Last edited:
OP
OP
JQL

JQL

Bike
I was always taught to do the "right thing even when no one is watching" and it has stayed with me all my life. I could have made much more money had I bent this rule!

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
It is a good idea.

I would just plan on removing the circuit board, or at least be able to look at it from behind, before drilling. Even then there might be a problem. Most circuit boards these days are multilayer so just seeing a blank spot on the surface does not mean it is clear for drilling.

Sometimes you can use a very bright light on one side and be able to see the shadows of internal traces. That frequently does not work since many mfgs leave excess trace material in place rather than etch everything away.

Logic says that areas above the dials should be clear, but, design engineers are not usually logical :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
JQL

JQL

Bike
Charlie,

Taking a close look at the exploded diagram the area above the dials isn't free but, I'm hoping it's just plastic. As a fall-back position the area above and to the left of the petrol gauge looks free so may have to go there instead.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
You might want to check to see how much a replacement board costs before drilling into yours.

OP
OP
JQL

JQL

Bike
Beat you to it... about US $1,500 :eek:!

It's one of the reasons I'm asking if anyone's played with theirs or knows about the circuit board.

I may be an idiot but I'm not a major idiot... yet :smile:

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Beat you to it... about US $1,500 :eek:!

It's one of the reasons I'm asking if anyone's played with theirs or knows about the circuit board.

I may be an idiot but I'm not a major idiot... yet :smile:
ROFLMAO I resemble that remark!

OP
OP
JQL

JQL

Bike
OK, done the deed...

The circuit board does fill most of the space behind the meters but there is space at about the 300? position next to the fuel gauge. The only problem is it it partially covered by the dashboard cowl.

Anyone doing the same has to position the edge of the hole ?4-5mm from the fuel gauge for better visibility. Mine's about 8mm (I chickened out and went for safety there was also a small mark at that point and I wanted to cover it as well).

Last edited:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Does it show different colors or just green for when you're OK?

OP
OP
JQL

JQL

Bike
It's green for charging. Amber when good and not charging. Flashing red for low charge or unwell :)

I'll give more info when I get home this evening.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Nice job. Looks really slick.

Is it your own circuit? Not hard to make but there are several available on the net too. I went through all that for the goose and ended up with an adapted led meter from HF. Not suitable tof something like this cause it uses up more room. Kuryakin also has a small LED bar that is unobtrusive.

elizilla

Not sure who exactly supplied the one JQL is using, but I have installed what appear to be the same thing, in a number of bikes I have owned. Never installed it inside the instruments thought - that is super elegant!

Heads Up Voltage Monitor

Top Bottom