[Review] Metzeler Roadtec Z8 Interact

Bike
2010 RED NT700V
Well, I had the opportunity to test my new Metzeler Roadtec Z8 Interact tires on The Dragon this past Sunday and Tuesday. Bottom line: Excellent. I was able to run The Dragon with confidence, and they were straight and true. I have about 2500 miles on them now and couldn't be more pleased. I was able to scrape the pegs, which is something I never thought I would do with the NT.

As a side note, for those who have the Skidmarx undercowl, you will scrape the snot out of the undercowl before the pegs hit. I will have pictures to prove it as soon as I place my order with 129slayer.com. If you want a preview, go to http://store.129slayer.com/, select Tuesday, September 17, 2013 and browse to 9:27 AM (that's central time -- apparently the time depends on the time zone where you are, so adjust accordingly i.e. 10:27 if you're eastern time). They do a good job - there are 20 pictures of me there.

(Edit: Pictures have been placed in My Gallery)

Last edited:

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
Re: [Review] Metzeler Roadtec Z8 Interact

yep, I have scraped my skidmarx cowl while braking for a right hand turn, forks got compressed then the sound

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)

They did do a good job, Jim, although I couldn't get the bottom of the picture to show up on my little netbook, so I can't see the Skidmarx dragging. I managed to drag footpegs (both sides) on the Epic Ride, but that's not as impressive as it sounds for the left side. I've got MCL's peg lowerers on and the left one is probably an inch or more lower than stock. The right one is set so it's back but not lower, so that's a tad more lean angle.

Every time I've dragged a peg, it's surprised me. I more often drag a toe because of the angle of my foot on the peg.

Marker

Totally awsome pics.

On my two previous bikes I had Metzler 880's (Vulcan 900's). Are these tires dual compound?

Gary

OP
OP
Pick
Bike
2010 RED NT700V

Totally awsome pics.

On my two previous bikes I had Metzler 880's (Vulcan 900's). Are these tires dual compound?

Gary
That's a good question. I don't know. I also had ME880s on my Vulcan 750 and they were great. That's one reason I went with the Z8 - hoping to get 20K+ miles out of them.

Bike
2011 NT700VA, black
Nope, not dual compound,. Metzeler adjusts the tension of the steel cords inside the tire to get more wear out of the middle. I wanted the Z8s for my NT, but was told that the Z8s don't come in NT size. I went with my second chioce, the PR3s. (No complaints at all.)

plumberdave

Cool pictures! I don't know if I'm ready for the Dragon yet.

OP
OP
Pick
Bike
2010 RED NT700V
Cool pictures! I don't know if I'm ready for the Dragon yet.
Sure you are. Just take it at your own pace. I've been on many cool roads, but so far nothing is quite like The Dragon. I'm still looking, though. :)

Bike
2010 Red NT700
I am looking forward to seeing the Smokies this spring. Based on some reading and some comments I have read here I am not going to sweat it if I don't ride the Dragon.
If I do ride the Dragon, it will be on a Mon or Tue and early in the day.
Looking at maps right now, I am more intrigued by Moonshiner 28 from Deal's Gap to Walhalla, SC, much of 441 and the Cherahola Skyway that week.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Clay, If you ride the Dragon early in the morning on a weekday, it's well worth it. But 28 between Deal's Gap and Walhalla is a GREAT ride. My brother lives not far from Walhalla on the eastern shore of Lake Keeowee. A good return route from Walhalla would be from Walhalla SW on SC-183 down to US-76, then take a relatively straight road back up to US-23 almost to Franklin, then west on US-64.

Then take NC-1310 to US-19, jog left till you get to US-129 and then take it to Robbinsville, and then take the Cherahola Skyway to Tellico Plains.

According to Streets & Trips, that would be a 259-mile ride that you can do in 5 hours and 44 minutes. All I have to say to that is: "HA!" I guess you could do it that fast. But you won't.

Great rides back there and there are more. Little county roads are wonderful, too.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
LOTS of great roads around that area that I've ridden and I've yet to feel any remorse for skipping the Dragon. If you get a chance try and venture south down into northern GA. Nice riding down there also. The Lodge at Copperhead is also a cool little motorcycle resort in the North GA hills. We try and stop by for lunch when we are in the area. The roads around that area are real nice. US129 south of Vogel state park is an awesome stretch as it goes over Blood Mountain.

I am looking forward to seeing the Smokies this spring. Based on some reading and some comments I have read here I am not going to sweat it if I don't ride the Dragon.
If I do ride the Dragon, it will be on a Mon or Tue and early in the day.
Looking at maps right now, I am more intrigued by Moonshiner 28 from Deal's Gap to Walhalla, SC, much of 441 and the Cherahola Skyway that week.

Top Bottom