[Review] Michelin PR3

Bike
2010 Silver NT700 ABS
i believe i paid $300 for the set from motorcycle superstore (140 for the front, 160 for the rear). one dealership would not install, another would. charged $80 per tire in labor, then disposal and shop fees, etc. came to $200. so it was $500 when all was said and done for me. next time i will get a quote from the dealer to compare. may be cheaper that route.
As I recall my current set of PR3's installed was right at $425 and very much worth it. From the looks of 'em I'll need another set in a couple of months right around the 12k mile mark.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I tried that installer-finder app. Was surprised to find an authorized installer in Fort Morgan. I went to check with him and found out that I was the first person to contact him in over 2 1/2 years. Also found out that he was no longer in the motorcycle repair business. Given one experience with him back in my GL650I Silverwing days, that's not such a bad deal.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
I got the tires, and you were all right--What a difference. For $500 I got the two tires mounted and balanced, cable lubed, shaft properly lubed--was not done right by Honda. Throttle cables adjusted, brake pedal and shifter adjusted to accommodate the lowered foot pegs, and the brakes were adjusted. The bike was spotless when I got it back. This shop does a fine job.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
I hope that I get some decent mileage out of these tires. A friend suggested Metzler Marathons saying he gets a lot of miles out of them. The shop that did my PR3s does not recommend going that route.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I went with Metzler Marathons (radial front, bias-rear that was slightly bigger (160 section vs stock 150). I got about 12000 out of them, but the handling wasn't that inspriing. When the BT-023s went on, it was so much better immediately that I decided I'd never try to run the Marathons again.

They did work pretty well on the my old Concours, though. I couldn't really ever tell a difference between radials and bias-ply tires on the Connie, but we didn't have very many options for that bike with it's 18" front rim and 16" rear. Anything that worked on a Goldwing 1500 worked on the Concours.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
That's probably because the 'Wing and the Connie are both heavy bikes.
Got caught in the rain today. The PR3s handle wet quite nicely.

Bike
2013 FJR 1300
Just replaced OEM's with PR3's this past week. Smoother ride, like they're more compliant with the pavement. The OEM's weren't worn out yet, but I'll be taking a 3000+ mile ride later this month and don't want to buy tires on the road.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
They sure handle wet pavement well. That's one of the great advantages of this forum--you stay with it and end up saving many dollars. A great example is the thread on Honda's knee pads. They were judged a waste of money.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Alex, there were three of us on our little ride back from Nebraska today with PR3s. 1TRAK on a Wee-Strom, his friend on a ZX-14, and me on the NT. The PR3s were flawless. Of course, none of the guys with "other" tires fell down either, but I'll bet they weren't as confident as we were. :)

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Phil,
I could just imagine what my EX250R Ninja could have done with a set of PR3s. The NT is a whole different bike with those tires. I always liked Michelin Tires--especially on the Corvette.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I always liked Michelin Tires--especially on the Corvette.
Alex, when we lived near San Francisco in the late 70s, we bought an MGB that had some worn-out Dunlop bias-ply tires on it. We put Michelin X's on it and it was transformed. Michelin makes good rubber.

1TRAK

Alex, there were three of us on our little ride back from Nebraska today with PR3s. 1TRAK on a Wee-Strom, his friend on a ZX-14, and me on the NT. The PR3s were flawless. Of course, none of the guys with "other" tires fell down either, but I'll bet they weren't as confident as we were. :)
+1. What Phil didn't mention was the thunderstorm we skirted (awesome lightning!), with wet pavement and crosswinds. The PR3s work great on wet or dry pavement and help the Wee-Strom cope with crosswinds much better than the stock tires. :smile:

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Got mine put on this week.

Never knew how much of the noise on the bike was due to the tires. PR3's are so much quieter.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
The only disadvantage the PR3's have is that one tends to go faster--could lead to a speeding citation.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Well went for my first ride on my new PR3s this morning. Really like them. I went 110 miles and looked at them once back at home and it still wasn't enough to wear any of the nubbies off. The ones in the center are laid back but it doesn't look like a single one broke off. Seems like good rubber to me.

We don't have a lot of twisty roads around here, but I put most of those miles on Route 4 which has lots of sweepers and hills through the flint hills. I kept a conservative pace because of the stories I have heard about slick new tires. I still kept finding myself catching up to cruisers. First was a group of three, then a solo rider, then another couple. I am starting to think these cruiser riders don't even go the speed limit. Why do they need such big motors if they average slower speeds than what my old 250cc bike liked?

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Here in Maine, the majority of cruisers cruise----about 75MPH. I have the only ST in the group. Took a ride today with the (CVMA) Combat Veterans Motorcycle Association. On a short stretch of I-95, we were moving along at 85. The bikes are primarily Victory motorcycles, and they pick on the H-D riders mercilessly. The Victory touring bike is very comfortable and very fast. The engine is massive and all torque. A lot of the Victory bikes run Michelin tires.

Top Bottom