Michelin PR4

OP
OP
JQL

JQL

Growing old disgracefully
Bike
2010 NT700 & 2019 FJR1300
I've now done 10540 km (6550 miles) over a mild Paris winter on the Michelin PR4 front and I'm noticing some interesting wear patterns.

• The centre of the tyre is becoming slightly raised.
  • There is, for want of a better term, "feathering" on the larger longitudinal groves where one side (towards the inside of the tyre) is higher than the other. This is probably contributing the centre section becoming raised.
  • The (very) thin lateral groves seem to be wearing about evenly to the eye but when you run your finger over them there is a slight lowering on the front edge.
  • I expect them to be able to do in excess of 20,000 miles based on the (large) amount of tread left.

Other observations
  • When small stone chips become embedded in the tyre they seem to do so in pairs (there's a lot of flint around here so frequent inspection is required). Whereas, on the Bridgestones, I don't think I ever saw embedded stone chips in pairs.
  • They keep their pressure very well - I have only had to top them up once.

The grip is very good and I am still travelling a little too quickly in the wet. I have to keep reminding myself to slow down. Note, I'm not breaking the speed limits, just going a little quicker than what I think the conditions dictate. Though, so far (famous last words), I have been able to slow down or stop in the distance so, may be, it's not too quick. I just don't want to find out the hard way :)

Last edited:

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I have noticed similar wear patterns on my PR3's. Maybe it has something to do with the amount of miles I commute vs ride on the highway

Bike
2011 NT
My 2011 with just over 4,000 miles on it has that wear patern also. Stock tires on it. I keep it right at what the manual recommends for air pressure.

Bike
2013 DL650/A & CX500 Euro
I would add an extra 4 to 6 pounds of pressure to the front tyre (regardless of what the manuals advice is) as these are classic symptoms of an under inflated tyre.

I think you will find this will solve the irregular wear (though it may be too late for the current tyre as once the feathering starts it is difficult to get rid of it).

Remember, the recommended pressures are based on many things including tyre type, weight, speed etc (that is why they are recommended, not mandatory)

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
I get that same kind of wear pattern on every front tire. My tires are usually overinflated.

OP
OP
JQL

JQL

Bike
I've adjusted my tyre pressures to:

Front: 38 (well 37.9 on the gauge)
Rear: 43

I've upped the rear by 1 psi due to the weight I carry both on my body (I'm about 23 lbs overweight :() and on the bike (about 33 lbs of stuff for work). So she's carrying, as far as I'm concerned, about 56 lbs more than "normal".

I will now test for the next couple of weeks or three and see what the handling is like and later in the year, what the wear is like.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JQL

JQL

Bike
I've spoken to someone who used to work for Michelin and he recommends no more than 3 psi extra in the front. He is of the opinion that 4 psi could be dangerous in the wet.

Bike
Black 2009 NT700
I now have about 5000km on my PR4s. I am happy with the grip, dry and wet, but I am now finding that as they wear they are becoming VERY noisy on "course-mix" bitumen. I did not notice this when the tyres were new but it is becoming louder as they wear. On a very smooth surface they are almost silent.
The noise is a hollow rumble, very much like when you roll your empty plastic "wheelie-bin" down a rough driveway. The noise changes dramatically as the road surface changes. I always run 3-4psi above the recommended pressures as I usually have the panniers and/or top box full.
I have just returned from a 3000km trip to "outback" Australia and the rear tyre is noticeably squared off.
The previous tyres were Michelin Pilot Activ (bias belted) and wore very evenly until about 20000km when the rear started to square off. The front tyre still looked very even at the change. I got 27000km out of those and they still had 3-4000km left.
I changed them because I wanted the best possible wet grip for our winter (June/July/August). I have achieved that but am finding the PR4s too noisy. It is far louder than the annoying transmission whine.
At this stage I cannot predict the lifetime of the tyres but my impression is that they may not last as long as the Pilot Activs.
Does anyone here have comments on PR4 noise levels?

Macka

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
I now have about 5000km on my PR4s. I am happy with the grip, dry and wet, but I am now finding that as they wear they are becoming VERY noisy on "course-mix" bitumen. I did not notice this when the tyres were new but it is becoming louder as they wear. On a very smooth surface they are almost silent.
The noise is a hollow rumble, very much like when you roll your empty plastic "wheelie-bin" down a rough driveway. The noise changes dramatically as the road surface changes. I always run 3-4psi above the recommended pressures as I usually have the panniers and/or top box full.
I have just returned from a 3000km trip to "outback" Australia and the rear tyre is noticeably squared off.
The previous tyres were Michelin Pilot Activ (bias belted) and wore very evenly until about 20000km when the rear started to square off. The front tyre still looked very even at the change. I got 27000km out of those and they still had 3-4000km left.
I changed them because I wanted the best possible wet grip for our winter (June/July/August). I have achieved that but am finding the PR4s too noisy. It is far louder than the annoying transmission whine.
At this stage I cannot predict the lifetime of the tyres but my impression is that they may not last as long as the Pilot Activs.
Does anyone here have comments on PR4 noise levels?

Macka
I'm on my second set of PR4s. Like you, I just finished a long ride of about 5,400 km, much of it in the wet. I am now, and have been, very satisfied with the grip, both wet and dry.

As to the noise. I hadn't noticed noise all that much, but I was curious because of your post. I changed my route to work this morning so as to intentionally ride over a stretch of road paved in what we call "chip seal." I don't know know if that is the same surface you're describing, but it is very rough, it's very tough on tires and very noisy. I usually avoid that area while driving my car because the noise is so irritating. When riding on it this morning on the NT, I did notice an increase in the noise level, but I can't say it was particularly annoying.

I used to have PR3s front and rear on my NT, and when those wore out, I replaced them with PR4s, expecting better wear. In reality, wear is about the same with the PR3 and PR4. Like you, when I'm on long trips, I have the panniers full and the top box loaded as well. I got about 22,000 km out of the rear tire with both the PR3s and PR4s.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Since Macka also mentions the "annoying transmission whine" maybe he does not wear ear plugs. I hardly ever notice the transmission whine or road noise wearing ear plugs.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I didn't realize we had changed to the metric system. Time to pull out my 1970's conversion chart :)

OP
OP
JQL

JQL

Bike
Old "Boney" always wanted to conquer europe. It seems his system of weights and measures has done so.

It's creeping into the US as NASA has gone Napoleon for some measurements.

Luckily, England will always be able to have at least 2 things in Imperial measurements: The Pint (20 fl oz) - Yes our pint is bigger than your pint :D; and the Cricket Wicket which is 1 Chain long (22 yards).

The furlong (220 yards or 10 Chains) and mile (1760 yards or 8 furlongs) might survive as they are used in Horse Racing.

Bike
Black 2009 NT700
Since Macka also mentions the "annoying transmission whine" maybe he does not wear ear plugs. I hardly ever notice the transmission whine or road noise wearing ear plugs.
Warren: I have never seen a transmission whine or a road noise that wore ear plugs (tongue in cheek) and NO, neither do I.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Good to see you on the Forum again, Bill! Enjoy the PR4s!

Top Bottom