Mick-o-pegs prototype is here

elizilla

As some of you may recall I loaned my bike to Mick-o-pegs to use to build a prototype. Jim brought my bike back to me today, with the pegs. They are pretty spiffy!

They attach to the frame, just above the motor mounts at the front of the engine.

Note these are prototypes, and the production pegs will be prettier, anodyzed instead of bare metal like these. Also, they are not yet on the site. But I know some of you are really keen to get highway pegs and you'd want to see these right away. So, here are the photos:

In use:

Folded up:

Close up of the supports, during assembly:

The component parts:

I haven't got a chance to try them yet, and probably won't for some time, since we are supposed to be getting more snow tonight. In a short test-sit in the garage, I can report that the position of the pegs is very comfortable, they are easy to fold down, and they swing back up easily when not in use. The position of the pegs and their support arms is such that I don't think they would increase the damage in a stop and drop situation. You can feel the pegs flexing a bit when you push hard on them with your feet, but Jim assures me that they are plenty strong enough that you can put weight on them and slide around in your seat or whatever, you don't have to worry about it. If your legs are long, you will find that your shins contact the tipover wings, and while it's not something that would be uncomfortable when you are wearing boots and riding pants, you might be bothered if you're a shorts-and-sandals squid. :)

I think the peg mounting brackets are also going to offer additional mount points for driving lights - I know some of you will be interested in that.

So, all in all, I think these will be awesome, and everyone should go to Jim's site and buy something. :)

If you're still snowed in, send them to me, and I'll try 'em out for you and the group <G>

I'm definately in line for a pair, and have my credit card in hand !!!

CoolNT

Thanks for the update and feedback Katherine. This is really promising. I've used the Mick-O-Pegs on my Goldwing and know it's a solid product. My concern though would be an issue with tip over. You stated it does not appear to affect it but?

CoolNT

Here you go. I pulled this image from the UK site where there are several members that have the Skidmarx.

slowly

When do you feel that these will be ready for us to order and any information on pricing?

OP
OP

elizilla

If you're still snowed in, send them to me, and I'll try 'em out for you and the group <G>

I'm definately in line for a pair, and have my credit card in hand !!!
You've already experienced my (lack of) ability to ship anything quickly. :) Did you get the package I sent last week with the other footpegs pegs I am lending you?

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
There is one other person who has ordered the part but may not have received it yet.
I have a SkidMarx on order that should be here in another couple of weeks. Looking at the M-O-P pictures I suspect the fairing will seriously interfere with the Mick-O-Peg in several locations, especially at the frame mounting point.

MOPMan,

I plan on posting a How-To Install and Review of the fairing when it arrives and will be glad to take any specific photos you might want showing potential interference points.

OP
OP

elizilla

I got out for a little test ride with the Mick-o-pegs today. They will be a nice addition for trips. However with my ridiculously long femurs, my knees touch the tipover wings, which have a distinct buzz. If I leave my feet on the Mick-o-pegs for long, I will want to place them farther out or the vibrating tipover wings will be irritating. And at 33 degrees, it was too cold to keep my feet out there that far for long. In the summer, though, that breeze will be nice, and people with shorter legs might not have this issue.

If I ever take a long tour in cold weather, I think I will make some knee pads for the tipover wings. A few strips of mouse pads, and a little velcro to hold them to the tipover wings, should do the trick.

OP
OP

elizilla

Jim borrowed my NT again this week to work on the peg prototypes some more. Here are the latest photos:

In this picture, the left peg is the original prototype's peg position, and the right peg is the new prototype:

Here is a picture of the bike leaned over until the peg touches, in its extended position. Note that if your foot isn't on the peg, it folds up. I can't imagine someone riding with this degree of lean, would be doing it with their feet on highway pegs. So I think this is just fine.

Here is a picture of the bike leaned over with the peg folded up. See how other things touch first?

Jim brought it back to me today, with the newest prototypes installed. But I was ill last night and am a bit under the weather today, so I postponed my test ride. I will do it later and let the group know how it goes.

OP
OP

elizilla

The final version of the Mick-o-pegs will be available early next week. So I wanted to fill you in on my experiences with testing the prototypes. I got to use them on my recent trip down to the Blue Ridge, when I was out for a couple thousand miles.

They are super. The two issues that I noticed in the first prototype (flexing, and my knees pressing on protruding bodywork) are completely resolved. The positioning of my feet, with the pegs deployed, is very comfortable and I don't feel any flexing at all.

I like to just deploy one side at a time. It's not just one extra riding position, it's three positions. Shifting my weight side to side like that, really helps work out the kinks on a long highway ride.

When they are not deployed, I don't even think about them. They are not in my way.

I hear the final product is even nicer than my prototypes, because they have a choice of positions to adjust them, and they're anodized so they're pretty. :)

People should follow the link in this post, to Jim's post that talks about how to order them, and buy them from him - it's great that he's willing to support such a small market as this group.

Last edited by a moderator:
I received an email form MOPMAN and he has finished the NT highway pegs. They are about $329 and should be available next week.

Jim

Top Bottom