Minimum Requirements For Riding Your Motorcycle On A Military Facility

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
I know a lot of folks here like to visit the museums and other historical sites located on military facilities. Since you will be riding on a military facility a different set of rules will apply. For example in Florida you are not required to wear a helmet but you will be required to wear one to ride on any military facility located in Florida. It is a very good idea to check out the local requirements prior to rolling up to the gate and trying to get access. This thread is intended to provide the 30,000 foot view of what you will need.

Note: I have posted this topic once before and the responses got out of hand with people complaining about the requirements. This time please :D keep the thread "on topic" as any rants about how the requirements are "stupid, unfair, or violates your rights" will be subject to removal.

If you decide to visit a military facility there are some specific DoD requirements motorcyclists must meet for access. This list is not necessarily complete as each branch of service and local commanders can and often do supplement the DoD requirements. "Supplement" in "military speak" means make the requirements more stringent, not laxer... The lack of consistency from facility to facility to can be "interesting" to say the least. But if you have the following items you should be okay for most facilities. The best thing you can do is visit the facility website or call ahead and find out any specific local requirements before you visit.

1. A military ID card. This may not be necessary for visiting museums or other "open" exhibits or during "Open House" days. Normally though either the rider or passenger will need a valid military ID or a "sponsor" with a military ID to "sign them in".

2. A valid motorcycle license or motorcycle endorsement.

3. Current Registration.

4. Current Proof of Insurance.

5. A MSF Course completion card. How current? Some facilities will take any MSF card, I used a Better Biking Program Card dated from 1985 last year :rolleyes1:, others require a card dated within the last five years.

6. A bright colored safety vest with reflective devices. This one can get really sticky...:rolleyes1: The DoD rule is generally accepted to mean a "vest" so plan on wearing a "vest" over your existing Hi-Vis gear. There are DoD "Approved" MilSpec Hi-Vis vests available from Icon, Joe Rocket, Aerostich and other vendors if you want the expen$ive Mil$pec label. I have successfully used a Walls? ANSI II Premium Safety Vest I picked up for about $20 at Tractor Supply worn over my Hi-Vis mesh jacket. Your results may vary based on local "supplements" and the local interpretation of the DoD policy.

Items 7 to 12 are pretty much right out of the MSF requirements for riding on a training range.

7. A DOT approved helmet. I have "heard" some facilities now require a full face helmet...remember "supplement"? ;)

8. Approved Eye protection. Sunglasses can be iffy...my prescription, shatter resistant "Ray Ban Aviators" have been questioned.

9. Full fingered gloves.

10. A long sleeve shirt or jacket.

11. Full length pants, no shorts.

12. Regular shoes or boots that covers the ankles.

Items 6 to 12 also apply to any passengers.

This list is not meant to be "The" comprehensive guide, it is the minimum requirements for most facilities. The key to having minimal issues riding on a facility is to find out what the requirements are in advance. As I said before the local commander can "supplement" the DoD rules and some do so in a very "interesting" manner. All of us who are veterans, and those currently serving, know very well a "requirement" does not have to make sense...but you have to comply.

Please keep in mind the Gate Guard, whether a civilian "Rent-A-Guard", or Active Duty military, is just going to go down the checklist and has no authority to divert from that facilities list. Arguing with the Gate Guard tends to be very unproductive...

I have attached the requirements list from Warner Robins AFB to give everyone a general idea what may be required for your visit to a military facility. Unless you are currently on "active duty" the civilian requirements usually apply, including for retirees.

If anyone is aware of any additional safety requirements please feel free to add them.

Thanks for the informative post, Wayne.
I need either my mom, who has a retired officer ID, or my son with his military ID to get on any military facility.
In either case I would very likely be in a cage.

Item 6 is really stupid if you are wearing High Viz riding gear. I have fought this numerous times. Mostly the Army Post as the Air Force has been a bit more reasonable. To solve this I have a cheap bicycle orange vest. that I carry with me on trips. It lives in my top box and is there in one out of 10 times I might need it. Most Post/Base commanders have some common sense, but there are always a few gate guards that want to puff out there chest. I have argued with them to no avail.

Speaking of Gate guards. You all might find this a bit amusing. I wrote this over on another forum back when I was still working in 2009 at Shepard AFB. Long before the NT.

Listers, Because of an incident that happened to me at the gate of Sheppard Air Force base this morning, I am asking those that ride on Base/Post how you carry and present your ID to the gate guards. I know they are just doing what they are told but sometimes comman sense should over ride silly instructions. Case in point. I carry my ID in a clear see thru ID holder around my neck when entering the Gate. My ID is visible through the clear plastic and the guard can turn it over to see the back side of the ID. Every once in a while the guards will want to have the ID taken out of the plastic holder and hold the ID in their hand. Why, is beyond me. As long as they can see it, that should be good enough. Well, to do this one must turn off the motorcycle, place the bike on the side stand, and remove gloves. Remove ID from see thru plastic holder and hand to guard. Then guard spends 1 second looking at ID. Then this process is done in reverse. All the while traffic is backing up behind. Well, This morning as the young guard and I were doing our little exercise in silliness, my thoughts about him were verbalized. I told him he was a KNUCKLE HEAD. Wrong thing to say. To make a long story short he had me dismount and commenced to chew my butt. Then I really pissed him off and told him I really did not care for his butt chewing as I had more *** then he had teeth. Not good. I am expecting to hear from my supervisor about proper edict at the front gate. I was lucky he let me continue to work and did not ban me from riding on base. So I ask how do you expedite showing your ID when entering the base/post.

I really got to try to be nicer to the young kids

. A MSF Course completion card. How current? Some facilities will take any MSF card, I used a Better Biking Program Card dated from 1985 last year , others require a card dated within the last five years.
Never had a MSF card, or completed the course. Have DoD sticker, ID card, all the correct helmet & clothes....no problem getting in local Army & Air Force base. DoD sticker requirement change at every facility, I wasn't required to have MSF card to get a DoD sticker at the National Guard base that NEVER has a waiting line (why I go there) to get base stickers or ID cards.

Wayne, thanks for the info. I was aware of everything except the MSF course requirement. Started riding in 1965 and looks like I must take the MSF course to prove it. Ah, I need to learn how anyway.

Well, I hope I can find a way to get an MSF riding course under my belt before we head out. It's gonna' be tough. There aren't that many places that offer the course, and most of them do it in two days and one of them is a Sunday. I've only got about two Sundays (maybe three) before we leave.

If it came to that Phil, you could always become Rick's passenger to get on the base. Please take a picture:)

I carry my Air Force retiree ID and have a sticker on the lower left front of my windshield so access is easy as long as I'm not on a Motorcycle.

The first time I was denied entrance to a base when I was on my Motorcycle, was at Camp Pendelton Marine Base, in Oceanside, CA and I forget the year, probably around 1986 or so and of course I was told about the requirements then. I just thanked the Guard and turned around and went on my merry way. There was no reason to be upset with him since HE didn't develop the rules.

The thing I liked most about the Military was the 'strict, set in stone rules' that EVERYBODY had to follow. A serviceman or woman knew exactly where they stood in the scheme of things: Follow the established rules, CYA and you were fine as was everyone else. Break the rules and you were in trouble. Very simple and effective. These rules weren't oppressive and were based upon common sense.

This may irritate a few people but our society, in my opinion, could use a 'Military structure.'

Sam:)

I agree with you Sam and Rick however; It would be nice if every one followed the established rules. (I guess I am just getting old. I do remember when I was young ) As far a Motorcycle rules on Base/Post it would be nice if they were enforced consistently from one day to the next. No, the rules are not oppressive but some common sense when the rules are established, and common sense, consistent enforcement, should be the goal, With real motorcycle safety being the primary goal. For instance a person wearing a black long sleeve Tee Shirt with a orange road guard vest, jeans, ankle high tennis shoes, cruiser style black pot helmet, summer golf gloves, and sunglasses will be able to get on base. I in my gray riding Stitch with armor, riding gloves with knuckle armor, motorcycle boots, full face white helmet with visor, will not be able to get on base/post. All becouse I don't have the orange Dork Vest. If it is about motorcycle safety, who is more safe?. It is all about command CYA. The bright color VEST might help but I have a hard time believing the cage drivers can't see you at 35mph.(Base Max MPH) With head light on and faring and windshield on the bike, it does not matter what color Jacket/Vest the rider is wearing. It cannot be distinguished from the front, head on. Safety test have proven that. Helmet color has more bearing then Vest color.

Anyway I am retired, retired and I don't ride on base much anymore. And when I do I have what I am suppose to have. I should not get upset over this but the inconsistencies have bothered me for years.

Last edited:
I have ridden on a air force (Kirtland AFB) and army (White Sands, Ft Bliss) for almost 20 years. I have never been asked to show my MSF, not even in the old days of registering the bike on base.

There are some Army bases that still require vehicle registration, but, AF has discontinued that practice. Haven't been on a navy base with the bike.

AF also has the ID cards in their database. The gate guard can scan it and determine if it is in the database. It cannot be inside a clear vinyl thing for that to work. I just carry my ID in the right glove compartment so I can easily get to it (my right hand holds ID card as left hand uses clutch to 'walk' through traffic, also leaves right hand free if you want to return a salute :) ).

Clothing requirements vary. The AFB typically call for two color jacket, but, that is not consistently interpreted. My winter jacket with reflective tape all over it is gray and black. Some guards pass me, some don't. As stated before, carry a cheap reflective vest no matter what you wear.

Funny too that out here the civilian gate guards used to be more sticky than the airmen.

I don't know what would happen if asked to show my MSF. I last took the course in 1986 :)

PS when a classmate of mine was post commander at Ft Bliss I used to give him a ration of s*** about the stupid rules. Typical for a flag officer, he said his safety office wrote the rules. When I told him he should fire them his response was, "I wish I could, but, I only have a 2 year tour." :)

Last edited:
"... totally ..." :rofl1:

Yes. Please do not pick on the gate guards. They are there to enforce the rules they are given. They are not there to interpret the rules or to show judgment (although sometimes you really wish ...).

I resurrected an abandoned, PDO'd GPz750 (1990) when I was stationed in Germany. I used to ride over to Ramstein AFB to meet my wife for lunch on Saturdays. So I ride up to the front gate in my German (that is another story) leathers (I was the only American I ever saw in German leathers), full face helmet, gloves on my weatherworn GPz. Stop. Pull off my gloves and helmet and pull out my ID card. Meanwhile, traffic is backing up behind me. Then reverse the process and leave. After three weeks of this, the AP's would just stop me, peer into the helmet, and wave me through.

Last edited:
I don't remember having to meet any of those requirement when I last visited the National Museum of the United States Air Force at Wright-Patterson AFB. I don't even remember having to stop at a gate. Maybe the museum is not technically on the base.

I don't remember having to meet any of those requirement when I last visited the National Museum of the United States Air Force at Wright-Patterson AFB. I don't even remember having to stop at a gate. Maybe the museum is not technically on the base.

Neither did I. And, no, it's not technically on base.

I have not ridden onto a Mil installation since I retired in 79. LOL at Beale we were supposed to have base decal in plain view on winshield, 1969-71 erra. I simply made a flexable plastic holder and it was held on the inside of the HD batwing fairing with two bolts and wing nuts. once off base I would stop and remove this piece of Id . I wore langlitz black leather gear and we had no reflective BS at that time even when I retired there in 79 the other stuff had not happened. I can't think of a good reason to be riding onto a mil installation today, Possibly lodging, but normally not worth all the BS that has shown up in this thread. I will spend the exrtra $$ and stay in town fi on my bike. I just don't have the patience to put up with them anymore. Yes I do understand it from their point of either safety, or better for security particularly.

I won't go into details of the condition I may have been in after a nite ride to a biker club meeting in Sacramento and returning in the wee hours of early morning.:)

Been retired for almost 20 years now. And I still go on base several times a week, mainly cause it is part of my job. No hassle at all, unless you consider reflective vest/jacket a hassle.

Glad they finally did away with the stupid decals. But, I hear some army installations still use them. Dumbest thing ever devised.

Of course the only infiltration of a base that I was involved in included someone stealing a military ID card and car to get on base. That one resulted in a small bomb going off at an officers' club.

I agree with the security aspect completly, no problem as I stated in my previous post but when you mention a old MSF certificate being required it is pure nonsense. Yes I have one hanging on the wall in a frame Am I going to make a coy of it to carry, I doubt it. I as a number of others here were probably riding both on and off base well before some of these officers and gentlemen were even thought about. We had to wear a hemlet and have headlights on in 1957 and I never had a problem with that, it kept my head warm and the headlight was a given it help you to be seen. Proper other gear is fine I am ATGATT minded myself as well as Hi Viz and eye protection. If you are active duty , or civil service so be it you have to conform. If you are retired or civillain guest and you get smacked etc and get hurt SHAME ON YOU, uncle sugar should not be held liable I question their rules and logic particularly in regard to msf card, proper lic endorsement, proof of insurance etc fine you have to have it anyway so n big deal. Hemlet laws, I fully agree some of that is a decision you should have to make for yourself and not have it imposed on you. If you get hurt, killed etc because you didn't have one on shame on you. I wear all my gear by my choice not because it is forced on me even though Oregon is a required helmet state.

As far as on base lodging, I have tried using that on a couple of occasions and have always gotten the same answer, no we have a team of tdy etc people here and have no room available. I decided no more counting on what never happens. On top of that unless rules have changed going on base is like going into Canada. certain things I have with me are not allowed and I don't travel with out them.

I don't live near enough a base to worry about getting on , or off and have no reason to . My Tricare is good with my medical people and I use a local approved pharmacy for medications. Safeway / Krogers is just about nation wide for drugs perhaps if I were still smoking I would want to make a commissary run every two or three months, but we never bothered with that after retirement. I guess I have become civilianized being 125 +/- miles from a major facility. Do I miss it . NO. Am I going to move / relocate just to be near a base? No.

Eldon

None of us old folks are the target of these rules. The military has had a big problem with losing young active duty personnel to motorcycle accidents. They survive the Middle East, come home and go zoomsplat. Not that surprising considering the demographics. So they're chivvying the younger guys into MSF with these rules. It wouldn't be fair to exempt old farts, and it doesn't hurt us to set a good example, so if I suddenly had an overwhelming urge to ride on a base, I'd happily comply. Not that I expect to have to. I got lost once and ended up at the gates of Camp Pendleton, but I didn't go in - just got directions from the guards, turned around and went on my way.

This is something that would only be relevant to me on open-house days and such. But given my experience here at Ault field when I've been to a couple of these things, they don't sweat the paperwork at all. They just directed me right on.

In 1966 I can tell you they had questionable ideas about stuff. I didn't have a bike then, but one guy in our company (at Fort Carson, CO) was married and would drive his Honda Dream on and off the base. He had to wear a helmet (Colorado did not have a helmet law). But the Army was fine with him wearing a combat helmet. These WWII-era helmet would be worthless in a crash, as they were old, the chinstrap clips were worn out and if you fell the helmet would probably be somewhere else than your head when it hit.

Katherine,
I am aware of that and only too well the mid set of those who have been in the sand pile , my son did two years , 18 months in Afgahnastan, and then 6 months in Iraq, the 18 months tour was as a convoy transportation officer. HIs driving the first three years he was back was very scary as a result of what he went through there and his reactions to things here , I won't get tinto the detail, other than to say he went through a 03 ZO6 , a 06 STSV Cad anb a 03 ford P/U before he settled down ad got some of the issues under control. n He also said that their was a major issue with the Bikes particualy the super fast metric sport bikes. He was supposed to go through the Team Oregon class to get his bike endorsement upon hi return, He got held up for a extra three weeks due to military situations and I attended the class in his place. LOL it was interesting, I got hollered at probably 3 times as often as the new riders as I used my own mind set to the situations presented. Yes I did get my cert card. I still have my HD due to his not doing the class and getting his cert as I bought it with him in mind for it, but I am glad that he didn't do the class and get the bike as he probably would have became a stastistic.

LOL, his daughter , my Grand Daughter soon to be 14 has her eyes on my Ultra & possesively refers to it as HER Harley. She is a pretty good pinion at this time and has her own 110 cc Kwa dirt bike so who knows one day 15 years from now she may get the Ultra. She wants me to get a side car on it so when I get old and can't ride that she can take me with her on my bike!

Back
Top Bottom