Modular Helmet Recommendation Wanted

tawilke46

The Shoei Neotec (I meant) is one of the higher rated modulars. It is the one I would get for myself if I were in the market.

Last edited:

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
The thing about helmets is that they don't fit everyone because of cranium shapes and the helmet shell (oval, semi-oval or round). The only way to know is to try one on and even one that feels good in the shop may give you a headache after 20-minutes of riding!

I prefer HJC modular or Arai full-face but that doesn't mean you'll like them. If you find a brand that fits well, it might be better to stick with it.

Last edited:
Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
Best way is to try on a helmet. I like the Shark, many people don't: the Evoline with the chin to go all the way behind head is great for many uses, i.e. bicycle support etc.
I wish all helmets were lighter, I like to see a reasonably priced light weight modular helmet. In hot weather I often raise my chin at stops.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
There are a lot out there to choose from. I have a Nolan N90 now replaced by the N91. A decent helmet at a reasonable price. I now wear a Shoei NeoTec which I like a lot and have no reason to look at others. The Schuberth C3 is also a very good helmet. Most of the lower priced helmets have plastic shells and I prefer a fiberglass or composit shell which you only get in more expensive helmets. In the end it has to fit you, have the features you need and be in you budget and none of us have the answer to those questions in regards to you.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
I would have loved to have had a Nolan, but, the way they make the liner crushed my ears at the top. I tried on a bunch of others as well. I liked the Evoline but it was just too heavy. Did not try the Shoei.

The HJC Symax III fit me well and is a good helmet. Good for multiple long day trips. I'd be tempted to try the RPHA.

But, the Schuberth I got on sale beats it by a lot.

Buy what fits and then select from those.

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
BEST service from manufacture is Schulberth, I had 4 good years from a Shoie multitech , it was replaced by the neotech which I didn't like . at theat point I went back to Schulberth with a C-3. Yes I know it is rather expensive, but my head is worth it, plus it is quiet and light. Thr only thing I have seen that is lighter and higher quality is the TOP of the LINE Ducatie but at $2500.00 I can live without it.

Eldon

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I've had HJC's but it's been 15 years. I had a couple of Nolans and they were OK. The Schuberth C3 has been my favorite. It was expensive, but it's got lots of miles and is still my favorite.

Bike
2013 DL650/A & CX500 Euro
I have a Bell Revolver Evo modular helmet. It is the first modular I have owned and I am reasonably happy with it BUT it is noisier than my previous full face helmet.

For the money, $199, it was good value but I am not sure I would buy another one as Bell helmets are generally better suited to people with "round heads" and my head is longer than it is across so the fit is not perfect (but still OK)

Seagrass

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I had an HJC Symax III then progressed to an HJC RPHA, both modulars. At the time I was shopping for the RPHA I did try on a Schuberth and loved it but steered clear because of the cost. It fit nicely and was very quiet, at least in the showroom. I'm in the market again so will most like pop for a Schuberth. :)

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Yep, I was really shocked at how quiet the Schuberth is. I admit it, I didn't believe any of you other Schuberth followers about that. I was wrong. I've had FF Shoei as well and the Schuberth is as quiet as wearing earplugs with it. The added bonus is it is light. Fit is the only issue.

When I first got into riding I was complaining to a friend about how expensive helmets were (they cost more than my first bike). He gave me good advice about helmets. He said find one that fits and then figure out how you are going to pay for it.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
I have a Nolan N-102 and a Bell Evo Revolver. I like both but prefer the Revolver for comfort and the easy to use sunshield. The Revolver is noisier than the Nolan, but my custom ear plugs solve that problem.

tawilke46

Head shape really makes a big difference in helmet choice. For instance, I could not get a Schuberth to fit my head. Meduim was way too tight, large did not fit well either. So back to Shoei and HJC. They fit my head much better.
May give the Kabuto's a looksie.

JQL

Growing old disgracefully
Bike
2010 NT700 & 2019 FJR1300
Your first rule for buying a helmet should be:

Is it comfortable after an hour or so on my head?

So how can you test this?

Well, you always have your previous helmet experience to tell you whether you have a Shoei or Schuberth shaped head. But, what if you've seen a new brand helmet which you haven't tried before?

My advice is to go to a good motorcycle accessory/clothing shop and try on the various helmets you like. Once you've found one that you like which also fits your head, leave it on and walk round the shop for about an hour or so. If it's still fairly comfortable after an hour (remember new helmets need time to bed to your head so won't be perfect immediately even in that hour) then you've probably found a good one. Do the same with other helmets. I tend to browse other helmets and clothing while "testing" the helmet. If the shop complains, say you're not going to spend money on something that doesn't fit properly and, if they persist, leave. Someone else will welcome your business.

Many years ago (1988) I invested in an Arai (about $400 - a lot of money back then for a full-face helmet). It was beautiful. I tried it on in the shop. It felt good but, it was only after wearing it for about a hour on the bike that the problems began - blinding headaches. It was pressing against my temple. I learnt the expensive hard way. Always test your helmet first.

My current helmet is a Schuberth C3. It is expensive - very. It is comfortable - like an old pair of slippers, truly! It is the quietest modular helmet I've ever had. My next helmet will be a Schuberth, probably the C3 Pro as it is supposed to be quieter with the addition of vortex generators under the chin piece. Downside is a Sharps Rating of only 3 not 5.

But, remember, you may not have a Schuberth, Shoei, HJC or Arai shaped head.

In the end it is only you who can decide. Your decision must take into account the comfort or lack thereof of the helmet.

Last edited:
Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
FWIW, Sharps ratings are at a significantly higher speed than any other test agency. They do not justify it other than to make claims based on a study. They do admit that all the helmets they test meet ECE or some other govt agency standard.

Kinda like the arguments with DOT, ECE and Snell.

Top Bottom