Modular Helmet Recommendation Wanted

Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
Do expensive helmets really protect your brain better? That is a question that has been asked and answered many times, and if you believe if you have a $100 head by a $100 logic fine. Many studies have found not much difference in protecting your brain in a violent crash. What is the difference, noise? venting? style? status? Wind resistant to lift? The shell on most DOT helmets protect about the same, the lining can give a slight advantage. I not claiming to be a expert, but find a helmet that fits, and be happy.
A $600 helmet by many experts does not protect your brain any better then a less expensive helmet in many violent crashes any better then a good DOT helmet that cost much less. I helmet does not stop the brain from moving inside your skull, but it can cushion to a degree. Yes for the sake of arguments I am a idiot, and I do ride with a $400 Shark Evoline because I like the way the chin goes behind the head. If I found a $100 helmet similar I just might make that my next one.
Here is just on article.
http://blm.io/blog/motorcycle-helmet-safety-price/

Last edited:

JQL

Growing old disgracefully
Bike
2010 NT700 & 2019 FJR1300
Any testing which performs the exact same test on each item tested has a benefit in giving "like for like" results i.e. repeatable.

The problem is that the test may not be the correct test...

For example if you ask a Monkey, Fish, Elephant and Giraffe to climb the same tree, only 1 will succeed. It's not a relevant test (though the results are repeatable).

The Sharps test tries to make the test relevant and repeatable for all the helmets tested. Like other tests, this is done in a laboratory, on machines and not in real life where it's virtually impossible to repeat the test exactly.

When we have an accident we will probably travelling under 70 mph and, more likely, around 20-30 mph when "we make contact". In that case, the forces will be considerably less than those used in the tests (any government sponsored test).

The Sharps Test, for me, is a Like for Like guide. You'll notice that the helmet I chose is only a 3 Star Sharp rating not 5 Star. Why? Because most days my helmet is on my head for 2-3 hours in heavy traffic, usually filtering, in all types of weather. It fits my head comfortably, it's warm in winter and cool in summer (even up to 40?C, 104?F and it's black), and I can wear it for long periods every day without discomfort. I couldn't say the same for my Nolan 103 (too hot in summer) or Arai (very uncomfortable after an hour).

As I mentioned in my post, your first consideration must be comfort. Because, if you're uncomfortable you're going to be distracted.

If I could find a $100 helmet that is as comfortable for me as my current helmet, I'd buy it. But, unfortunately, one doesn't exist yet for my head shape.

Last edited:
Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
JLQ actually read my post and responded with a actual post with information. I did not say the inside was fluff. Helmets must be comfortable, but no helmet will protect completely on a very violent incident. Since most crashes are about 20 mph almost every helmet will protect you if it is DOT, or ECE very close to the same. As the NFL is finally recognizing, your brain float inside that skull, and just because you stop the head the brain the brain will continue to move.
Buy a helmet that is comfortable and enjoy the ride. No flip flops, no short, no sleeves shirt, protect yourself the best you can, and look out danger.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Interesting we are all discussing the merits of various helmets and standards. Ever notice when you ride in a state that does not require helmets how many don't wear them. Tennessee is currently looking at making helmet usage optional if you are 21. Its hard for me to understand how anyone could make the choice not to wear a helmet.

Last edited:

JQL

Bike
It's a case of "when you have an accident, not if".

I'm all for choice so long as I don't have to pay for those who make the wrong choices.

Bike
2010 Red NT700V
Shoes neotec is the best helmet I have ever owned. One of the lightest and quietest and it has fantastic air flow
Not the cheapest but worth every penny.

Last edited:
Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
Rand,

I will say exactly the same for the Schulberth C-3, At the time I bought my C-3 I had a choice of a Neotech, I was able to try both and wear each one for a considerable time before purchasing. The Neotech felt too crowded ffor me to get comfortable with and the C-3 was a more spacious fit. BUTT two different heads fit one and not another. I do think the customer Service provided by Schulberth North America as well as the home company is superior, this is based on personal experience.

Eldon

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
I sent an email to both Revzilla and Lazer asking about the 5 year warranty on the helmet. Pictures were included. Revzilla replied today and said they considered the two cracks to be normal wear and tear and thus not covered under warranty.

So my assumption is the outer shell is really there only to protect the Styrofoam underneath that and to look pretty...

View attachment 11106

View attachment 11107

Chris
I would not make that assumption. Looking at the photos only the gel coat/paint seems to be damaged. To be positive you'd have to examine it more closely. Some mfgs will do that for free if you ship it back to them (Shoei and Schuberth for example). I am surprised that Revzilla made that claim without being able to see the underlying material condition. I hope Lazer either asks for better pictures or asks you to ship the helmet to them.

FWIW, those scratches look benign compared to how my Shoei looked when I got rid of it. I finally got a crack in it that definitely went into the shell material, so, when it was replaced I took a sledge hammer to it (still took a TON of force to crack open the shell).

And, you are partly correct that the shell is there only to distribute the load to the foam liner. The shell takes all the force from a point impact and distributes it over a larger area of foam. The foam then acts to decelerate your skull, hopefully within brain damage limits. What many 'testers' have found is that some of the modern plastics do as well or better than the old fiberglass 'standard', even under multiple impacts at the same region.

charlie

I like my modular Shoei Neotec helmet. Except for when I'm riding below about 15 degrees down into single digit temperatures at night. In my experience the pin lock visor starts to fail in those temperatures at night.

JQL

Bike
Pinlock is not the be all and end all for anti-fogging. This is because the Pinlock visor is usually made of a different material to the main visor and will therefore shrink or expand at a different rate. This allows air into the gap and fogging can occur.

I still use the old washing up liquid trick on the inside of the main visor. Never use washing up liquid on the Pinlock visor as it has a special coating. Once the washing up liquid has dried, put the Pinlock back on. This works well in all environments I've used it in.

Oh, when you wash your Pinlock visor, rinse it off with distilled water and leave it to air dry. Using distilled water stops the "spotting" in hard water areas. I buy the 5 litre (1 gallon) containers of distilled water from the supermarket for electric steams irons.

Last edited:

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
It's a case of "when you have an accident, not if".

I'm all for choice so long as I don't have to pay for those who make the wrong choices.
I do not think it is up to the government to dictate to me that I HAVE to wear a helmet. In Maine, it is optional. I always wear a helmet--in fact I have never ridden a motorcycle without a helmet, MC jacket, Kevlar jeans, boots, and gloves. That is MY choice -- not the government's.

JQL

Bike
As I said, I have no problems with anyone's right to choose provided I don't have to pay. Not 1c.

The "chooser's" insurance picks up the complete tab - police, fire, road resurfacing, grave diggers etc. etc., my insurance premiums don't increase because of it, my local taxes don't increase because of it and if the chooser doesn't have insurance, it comes out of their estate. If their family becomes destitute, so be it. That was the chooser's choice.

If I have to pay even 1c then IMO you lose your right to choose. Simples. End of...

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
I agree.

I have always found it interesting that insurance rates are not based on helmet use, ie, if you use a helmet you get a break. Or, they fail to pay out if you are not wearing a helmet. I suspect they "like" the idea that some don't wear helmets. Let cost to them when the rider dies.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
I'm thinking about replacing my Lazer Monaco helmet. I like it a lot, but found a small crack in the outer shell when I was cleaning it off yesterday. (That'll teach me to clean my gear!... :doh1: )

So I'd like to stay with a modular, but when I looked at webBikeWorld's reviews and they really don't have anything recent.

Have any of you heard of recent modular helmets that I should consider?

Chris
Check out the Kaboto Ibuki. you can see a video on Revzilla.com
Advanced Composite Technology (ACT) shell is a Combination of hyper glass fiber and high-strength organic fiber
Dual density EPS liner
2 shell sizes (XS-MD, LG-2XL)
Wake stabilizer greatly reduces buffeting
Detachable chin curtain
CM-1 quick change shield system
Pinlock-ready face shield and lens insert included
Chin and head vents
Micro-lock ratchet chin strap
Eyeglass-friendly cheek pads
Fully removable, washable, and interchangeable Coolmax interior
Exceeds D.O.T. & ECE standards

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
As I said, I have no problems with anyone's right to choose provided I don't have to pay. Not 1c.

The "chooser's" insurance picks up the complete tab - police, fire, road resurfacing, grave diggers etc. etc., my insurance premiums don't increase because of it, my local taxes don't increase because of it and if the chooser doesn't have insurance, it comes out of their estate. If their family becomes destitute, so be it. That was the chooser's choice.

If I have to pay even 1c then IMO you lose your right to choose. Simples. End of...
Why stop at Motorcyclists that don't wear helmets. You could say the same thing about people that smoke, drink, don't get enough exercise, participate in risky behaviors etc.

Warren, some insurers ARE charging more for people that smoke and a looking also to charge more if the BMI puts them in an 'obese' range. Boeing now is charging higher rates for smokers. A friend of mine was the statistician for King County (Seattle) Health Dept and it turns out that diabetics incur about 50% more cost than a non-diabetic client.

Terry

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Warren, some insurers ARE charging more for people that smoke and a looking also to charge more if the BMI puts them in an 'obese' range. Boeing now is charging higher rates for smokers. A friend of mine was the statistician for King County (Seattle) Health Dept and it turns out that diabetics incur about 50% more cost than a non-diabetic client.

Terry
The point is you don't have to have health insurance to buy a pack of cigarettes so why should you if you dont wear a helmet.

Warren, it is kind of back to JQLs post earlier. You don't have to have insurance to buy a pack of cigarettes or to wear a helmet. However, if it costs me personally more with my insurance rates to subsidize the treatment of smokers, or the care of MC riders with brain damage because they didn't wear a helmet, then I object. The more 'liberal' side of me understands the need to spread the cost for all treatment for the greater good of society, yet the selfish me is irritated that I am subsidizing people that make poor health choices.

Terry

JQL

Bike
Warren, it is kind of back to JQLs post earlier. You don't have to have insurance to buy a pack of cigarettes or to wear a helmet. However, if it costs me personally more with my insurance rates to subsidize the treatment of smokers, or the care of MC riders with brain damage because they didn't wear a helmet, then I object. The more 'liberal' side of me understands the need to spread the cost for all treatment for the greater good of society, yet the selfish me is irritated that I am subsidizing people that make poor health choices.

Terry
Brilliantly put :plus1:

You take the sole responsibility for your choices whatever those choices may be.

Last edited:
Top Bottom