More positive feedback for the NC700X

Rob

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
So when I went back to my bike to leave Twisted Throttle's open house in May there was a card on my bike saying "Loan us your bike, get $100." The card had a list of 15 or so bikes they wanted to borrow for R&D.

So I contacted them a few weeks later and arranged to let them borrow my Tiger Explorer for the $100 store credit. As they're almost three hours from me, I told them I'd need a loaner bike and they said that's not a problem.

I dropped my bike off this past Saturday. I was hoping my loaner would be a Super Tenere or a 1200GS - but I was given an NC700X (non DCT). Wish they did have a DCT model because I'd really like to try that out.

Upon leaving, as I hopped on to start the ride home of course I immediately felt cramped - the bike seemed light, tiny, and cheap - but that's comparing it to my Explorer with a Russell Day Long which is basically a cadillac in comparison so I had to shake that frame of reference to judge the NC700X more fairly.

After the first hour I have to say I was more impressed than I thought I would be. The seat is absolutely terrible and I was in pain after 30 minutes. I took 4 hours to ride home and the seat essentially ruined the entire thing, but I took away a favorable response of the engine and the way the bike handles. The seat angled me slightly towards the tank - more than I am used to on the Explorer.

It must have a slightly longer rake than my bike as it wants to straighten a little bit more, and requires just a tiny bit more effort to initiate turns. But it was a nice balance. I liked the way it felt coming out of turns. And while it has no acceleration compared to the 137 horses I'm used to, I found it just fine for what the bike is. It shifts very confidently and smoothly. The lower gears of my Explorer "snap" into gear much rougher compared to this (but into 4th 5th and 6th mine is more smooth). The gearbox was more smooth than I remember the NT to be. While the already lowered pegs were still not low enough for my legs and the shifter was up to high for my tastes, all that is adjustable.

The 6th gear seems VERY tall. I tried it at various speeds and f you shift into 6th at 60mph the engine is almost bogging. At 70 or 75, the bike runs at a lower rpm than my Explorer. The NC700X engine is very smooth and happy in the 3k range. I don't think I ran it more than 4.5k (it redlines at 6.5k). I think for most people this is just fine. Especially so for newer riders. I wouldn't mind trying it in some twisties and riding it in the higher rpm's to see what that's like but I bet it's just fine.

The bike is super light and very easily moved around the garage. The front storage area is different - and I think I like it. With the tank lower and in the middle, it keeps the weight down lower. It's not top heavy. I feel like I could prevent a SAD with this bike even if my foot fell an extra foot.

TT's NC700X was decked out a little bit with an MRA screen and wind deflector, barkbuster handguards with admore lighting directionals on them, lower cowl, mirror wideners, bags-connection semi-rigid sidecases, oxford heated grips, denali dm's, engine guard, among other things. The topcase in the pics is mine (well, soon Fieroguy's).

I'm not really adding any new information about this bike than has already been covered, just thought I'd share my thoughts as well. It strikes me as a good bike. A little too small for my tastes, but a smooth, confident ride for the 4 hours I was on it. It was very predictable. It seems very much worth it's low msrp. After adding a few thousand in farkles, seems like a very worthy little adv touring bike

Here's a couple pics of the bike:

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Excellent! Thanx for that, Rob.

I've done some reading on the TT web site about the NC700X project bike - and I guess that's the bike you were loaned.

Yoda

Site Supporter
Bike
2021 Suzuki 650 VStrom; N
Three weeks ago I visited my new Honda store here in town. Surprise! They are owned by one of the local mega car dealers, and test rides are not only allowed, but ENCOURAGED!

I started out with the CB500X. A sweet handling, easy revving, agile machine. At only 430 pounds, it feels even lighter. The highway rev's might give some pause, with about 5000 rpm at 65 mph, but tops out about 100 mph. No storage is provided, but panniers and a top case are available options. (I AM spoiled by the built in storage on my Burgman).

Next, I rode an NC700X (non DCT). With such a low c.g., it really didn't feel even close to it's 470 pounds. Not much likelihood of a SAD with this bike! It would REQUIRE some major farkles - seat is terrible, no wind protection at all, panniers, centerstand, etc. but would be a good starting point with Honda reliability. Typical easy and slick Honda shifting. A novel storage bin for a full face helmet where the gas tank is normally located is an excellent concept. The small 3.7 gal fuel tank is under the puny pillion seat.

Last, the sales guy conned me into riding a CTX700. Very impressive! I thought I would not like the feet forward riding position, but I was wrong. It felt very much like the riding position on my Burg 400, although there are no alternate foot positions possible. The big surprise was the DCT. It is, for me, a great new option for motorcyclists everywhere. I really enjoyed riding it. It has a very smooth clutch engagement, quick shifts, and seems programmed to take full advantage of the torquey low rpm engine. But when pressed, it will run up to the red line on each shift.

But, in the end, after finally having the opportunity to ride these new Honda options, what did I do? I bought the Burgman 650. It is, for me, the most comfortable touring bike for the money, with more standard storage and features than I found anywhere else. Time will tell about it's longevity and cost of operation.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
There was a CB500X at the IBA International Meeting in Denver. I'm sorry I can't remember the owner's name. He had ridden it to Denver from somewhere back east and said it did 80 all day long with no trouble. He had high-powered LED driving lights on it and had fitted Hepco-Becker panniers. I really liked the way it looked and felt when I sat on it. Seemed like it would have a bit more weather protection than the NC700X. One thing I liked was that it had a 500W alternator.

Bike
2) 2010 red NT's
We've got an NC and the 500X as well. Pete really likes them, and he's one of the few that doesn't hate the stock seat. He says its comfy.

Neither of us like the way the hard bags look on the bike, so he just uses an Ortlieb tail bag or the Giant Loop. He rode his 500X to a Guzzi campout last weekend, had no trouble keeping up with my 1100 Cali and got better than twice the mpg that I did. lol.

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
[video=youtube_share;xTOy5wZWKJQ]http://youtu.be/xTOy5wZWKJQ[/video]

I rode a CTX 700 with the DCT and thought I would hate it. Thought it worked great, some things...

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
I'd be curious to hear anybody's reactions if they get to test ride the CTX1300, which has a returned ST1300 engine.

As I mentioned on an earlier post, I am leaning toward the CB500X for my next bike (if there is one). It seems to do everything fairly well, (commuting, twistys, and slab work) and is light. I'm looking for light. It seems to have enough aftermarket farkles to make it how you want it. The price is low and I think that it would work ok for my Key West to Prudhoe Bay dream trip. The downside for me is chain instead of shaft. Unfortunately that trip won't happen for a day or two, but some day.............. Wendell

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Don't even put that thing (CTX1300) in the same category as a ST. It is not. The motor has been detuned (retuned) for more low end torque. HP is also down in the lower rpm and not as much as the ST1300. The ST1300 develops it HP at a higher speed and higher RPM then the CTX13. The CTX13 is a 4 cylinder cruiser, plain and simple, competing with the Harley baggers. I have ridden one. It rides fine does what Honda wanted to do and the fit and finish are Honda quality. However it will never be in my garage as the riding style/position does not fit me. Just as a full fledged sport bike does not fit me. Two opposite extremes. I can not imagine anyone doing a 600 to 1000 mile day on that thing. If you want to do daily rides (bar to bar) it is a great bike. It needs a larger windshield and a top box and then maybe. By then just get a ST1300. Honda calls it a touring cruiser. Maybe so. Maybe not. If you are a cruiser style type then you most likely would be happy with this bike. If you are a Sport Touring person like me, Not going to happen.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Don't even put that thing (CTX1300) in the same category as a ST. It is not. . .
Exactly.

Its something different.

As our world (not just the motorcycle world) keeps changing, our neat "categories" are often no longer relevant.

But - back to the CTX 1300. I haven't ridden it - or even seen one - but I'd like to hear from those who have.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Our dealer has a black one. I sat on it and it was not comfortable for me. I can't ride feet forward and back straight. A crotch rocket has too much lean forward. The NT, ST-1100, and ST-1300 fit me just fine. Should something happen to my NT, there are plenty of STs on the used market.

OP
OP
Rob

Rob

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
I returned the NC700X today. One thing I didn't point out is the very noticeable LACK of vibration in the bars, especially at highway speeds. I'm used to some high-frequency vibes in the mid 70's on the Explorer which increase ever so slightly the faster you go from that point on - but with grip puppies, I consider them quite minor.

However, the NC's vibes were barely noticeable. At 70 or 75 some crept in a little bit but as you went faster they died down more and more. At 80mph, the things runs at 4200 rpm and the vibes are so minute there might as well not be any. That bike's 6th gear is TALL and remarkably smooth.

I love the NT and all, but after six hours of slab with the NC, I can say it's much smoother in the 65-85 mph range. Dressed up, that could be a great tourer. But with the shaft drive, integrated panniers, adjustable windscreen, and fairing, the NT is way better out of the box for that purpose. To get the NC up there with ergos, saddle, storage, and wind management you'd be spending a lot more than an NT. Still cheaper than the big-bore adventure bikes though. Now I need to ride a Wee at speed sometime to compare it to the NC for curiosity's sake!

I walked away quite impressed with the NC's engine and gearing. Then I hopped back onto the Russell Day Long on my Explorer and blasted off like a rocket :)

Bike
Bonneville T120
Three weeks ago I visited my new Honda store here in town. Surprise! They are owned by one of the local mega car dealers, and test rides are not only allowed, but ENCOURAGED!
Paul Blouin Performance in Augusta, Maine sells Mazda cars and the following motorcycle brands: Indian, Victory, Triumph, Suzuki and Kymco. Their policy is that you can pretty much take out any bike you want. They just roll them out of the showroom, check to be sure that there is gas in the tank, slap on a plate, and have you sign a waiver. Furthermore they tell you to take your time out there and give it a good ride. I asked the salesman I've dealt with and he simply said it sells bikes.

I'm sure it helps that I've purchased two bikes there and that they know I have some means and am prone to changing bikes. They may be a bit more restrictive if a scruffy looking 19 year old walked in and wanted to take out a Hayabusa.

Thanks for the feedback Rob!

Top Bottom