More Testimony to BMW Reliability

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Maybe some of you remember me writing about my friend's woe and travail with his '07 R1150R. It started with a final drive failure. David couldn't afford the $2000 price tag quoted by the Fort Collins BMW dealer. After a long search he found a 77,000-mile final drive for $300. Part of the difficulty in finding the part was that nearly all the R-bikes had different part numbers for the final drive. Even the '07 R1150R had two different part numbers, depending on whether or not the bike had ABS. He thought that had solved his problem, but then the bike started popping and backfiring and finally just dying after a few miles on the road. The non-BMW BMW shop in Fort Collins told him it would take $800 to get it fixed. (I don't remember what their "diagnosis" was.)

Turned out to be a bad battery. That kept him on the road for a couple of months and then it started doing about the same thing. It just sat for the next several months and is now rolling again. It turned out that the stick coils (I'm not sure that's the right term) were both bad. That repair only cost him $700. But we've got a ride planned for tomorrow!

Another guy going with us is a man who's here working on rehabbing a rental property. Somebody told him he ought to meet me and he'd dropped into my office a couple of weeks ago. He told me that he had a BMW at his house in Portland. John's a retired electrical engineer. This Thursday he came to see me again. He'd just gotten back to Fort Morgan after flying back to Portland to pick up his bike and riding it back to Colorado. The trip took him two days.

He was showing me his bike and started talking about his disgust with BMW's electrical systems, a problem I haven't heard too much about. He told me that several times he's had switchgear issues. The worst had been with the starter switch. He had had to push the bike back to a dealer after his bike wouldn't start. The dealer tried it and it started. The dealer told him he hadn't heard of any issues with the starter switch and that he should go ahead with his trip. So, John rode to Florida from somewhere in California and 2800 miles later the bike wouldn't start. He got towed to a BMW dealer and was told that BMW had lots of issues with starter switches and that the dealer in California should have replaced it. The guy in Florida did replace it. But John's still convinced that BMWs have issues. He likes the bike, but doesn't trust it.

bicyclist

He likes the bike, but doesn't trust it.
That's why I sold my F800. I'm done with modern BMWs. I'll keep my vintage stuff.

The dealer told him he hadn't heard of any issues...
That's the standard line. You sure hear about the issues on the owners forums, though. And I know for a fact that dealer employees are on the forums because I know some of them.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Apparently, the dividing line is the '70's /6's.
I didn't have any major issues with my 1996 R1100R other than the ridiculous dealer maintenance prices and hassles scheduling any service. Even so I still don't plan on owning another BMW unless I find a nice a R65LS. I'd take a chance on that one...:D

If any of you who like vintage BMWs are ever in the Atlanta area you need to swing by Blue Moon Cycles in Norcross. John Landstrom, the dealership owner, has created a great German bike museum and is a real BMW /NSU / anything German "guru"... They are also the only "new" model dealership in the area I would trust with a BMW motorcycle... Unfortunately when I bought my R I didn't know about Blue Moon or I suspect I would have had a much better "experience" from the beginning.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
I agree with John. The 60s and 70s BMWs were bulletproof. After that they targeted the Yuppies for their market and reliability became an issue. Their bikes and cars are made for people who trade them in every two to three years--so why should they put effort into quality? It would most certainly take a bite out of corporate profits.

Bike
2010 Red NT700
Gosh

That's a shame. They are so cool, but a poor boy like me has to go Japanese. The suggested maintenance regime of this NT is more than I like to spend already

The last new bike I had, I rode for ten years and had one valve adjustment and one set of fork seals. The bike only saw the inside of a shop twice in ten years and never let me down
1986 Suzuki Intruder 700

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Sam, I could not picture you as a "Hippie"--although that would be quite a visual. I do believe that my record for reliability has to be my 1956 NSU Special Max which I owned/rode from 1958 to 1990. That bike was in the shop twice. When I sold it, it had 230,000 miles on the clock. They don't make bikes like that anymore.

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
My two Beemer-riding friends and I made a run to Fort Collins today and went to the BMW shop. My friend on the R1150R called me after we got home and told me that he'd never gotten over 40mph, but today, after replacing the coils, he got 48mpg. So, things are going better for him.

My friend on the K1300GT managed to buy a screw for $1.30 and the parts guy loaned him the Torx driver to install it.

I got to sit on a white F800GT and was disappointed in the way it fit. The pegs were too high, but that could probably be fixed. The other thing I didn't like was the saddle. The seating area was very short. You were sitting in the bike and wouldn't have much room to move around. It was a nice looking bike, though. I don't think I want a white bike, but the fit and finish was good. I also don't think I'd be willing to pay $13,000+ and then have to pay for little things like panniers, etc. I was going to look through the accessory catalog for the F800GT but got distracted by looking at Triumphs.

Bike
2013 Yamaha FJR1300
I also don't think I'd be willing to pay $13,000+ and then have to pay for little things like panniers, etc.
Or by all reports, the centerstand. :smile:

As far as a white bike is concerned, I have seen pictures of white NT's here. Looks not bad, but I wouldn't want one either.

Last edited:

skiper

Sailariel - That's a very heavy report about your 56 NSU. Maybe they do make em still, perhaps the NT..... only time will tell

Bike
2010 NT700V
It's a real shame when generations of workers and owners spend their whole lives building up a company's reputation, and then the bean counters come along and ruin it. BMW, General Motors, Chrysler and VW have all suffered because accountants decided THEY knew better than the car guys,

I had a new 1966 Beetle. Great little car. Would not want the new ones. I had a new 1969 and a new 1974 SAAB. Again, great cars, but Swedish and General Motors accountants finally killed of the brand for good.

Top Bottom