Morpho Airbeam tent

elizilla

Anyone used one of these? Any opinions?

One person
Two person

Expensive, but the pack size and the ease of use look really good. Just curious if anyone has tried them.

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
I've seen one in person. My opinion, while packing size is definitely a big positive, I prefer a traditional 2 person backpacking style tent. You can pack the poles separately and us a compression back for the tent and probably pack it down to the same size as these or just a little bigger.

Also, the structure itself is still not as rigid as a traditional pole-style tent so heavy wind is going to compromise the structure much sooner than the other tents.

OP
OP

elizilla

I was thinking that the tent could be collapsed with the sleeping bag and camping mattress inside it, and the whole thing rolled into a messy bundle and stuffed into one compression sack, and the next night when you set up, it would be just as fast as if you'd put it away neatly. I don't think I'd store it like that at home, but for traveling that could be a convenient approach.

In heavy wind, it might push over more easily, but it would spring back up and there's no risk of poles snapping or escaping from their anchors and beating you up.

The biggest flaw I see is that it's not free standing, so it wouldn't work on, say, the deck of the Alaska ferry.

Last edited by a moderator:

rcase13

Single wall tents don't handle condensation very well in my opinion.This one could be different. For this price it better be.

I have the REI clipper tent (2 man) and have been very impressed with it. Like Mellow I pack the poles separate and use compression straps on the tent. The tent weighs 6lbs and will stand up to anything nature throws at it. I put the poles in the pass through.

OP
OP

elizilla

I have a Eureka Apex two-pole two-vestibule dome tent that works just fine. But I'm always looking, and I was intrigued by this so I thought I'd see what folks here thought.

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
I have a Eureka Apex two-pole two-vestibule dome tent that works just fine. But I'm always looking, and I was intrigued by this so I thought I'd see what folks here thought.
Yeah, even when I think all my gear is perfect.. I eyeball other stuff all the time in search for something just a little bit better.. LOL

I used the Apex for quite a while then got the Marmot Limelight 2 because it has 1 vestibule which makes it just a little easier to setup and not as much space needed.

OP
OP

elizilla

Well, I found a site that discounted it about 30% and decided to give it a shot. I'll let you guys know how it works out.

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
I'll be very curious to see how you like it Katherine. I'm not initially a fan of it but I'm not close-minded... most of ... some of.. aw.... never mind.

OP
OP

elizilla

I'm going to buy a compression sack that can hold the sleeping bag and tent and maybe the camping mattress as well, and see how they do all wadded up and stuffed in together. :)

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
I'm going to buy a compression sack that can hold the sleeping bag and tent and maybe the camping mattress as well, and see how they do all wadded up and stuffed in together. :)
I would still want the tent separate from sleeping bag/mattress just because there's condensation, dew, ground moisture on the tent I wouldn't want to get to my bag/mattress. Maybe a moot point if the tent has a nice enough waterproof bag.

OP
OP

elizilla

You tighten straps. Worked great for my synthetic sleeping bag, but down is squishable without straps.

Bike
75 Honda CB360/Buell P3
Sorry to chime in so late...I have the one person and I love it! I am a big Nemo fan. Most of all the pros are pretty obvious aside from all the numbers of specific attention to (the small) details.
You are right, the biggest con is the fact that it is not free-standing. This is kind of a big con for me too because living in the desert makes tent stakes a real task (hitting rocks and such). But all the pros outweigh that by a lot.

Also, the structure itself is still not as rigid as a traditional pole-style tent so heavy wind is going to compromise the structure much sooner than the other tents.
I have to disagree, you can get a good amount of PSI into the tubes and they are very rigid. Never had any issues with wind.

Katherine the one thing I would have advised is that since it is a single wall tent, condensation can build up on the walls. So if you wanted to roll everything up in the tent to ride back from a one nighter, no big deal. But doing that on more than a one nighter may result in a damp sleeping bag if you didn't make sure to air it out.
It's hard to review on the condensation because the AZ air is so dry I don't have condensation issue and I keep most if not all the vents open.

Overall I think you'll be very pleased with it.

OP
OP

elizilla

Glad to hear from someone who likes it. My biggest worry is the single wall and the condensation. I generally camp in places with grass, so I hope the staking won't cause me too much trouble. I chose the two person version because that way I'm much less likely to touch the walls. Last time I tried a one person tent, it was double walled and I STILL got condensation, because I couldn't sleep in it without pushing on the walls and pressing them together.

taldric

I recently got the REI half dome 2-person Plus tent. The Plus adds a little bit of length (as I recall). It's open mesh walls with a solid rain fly covering. It goes up easy and is very roomy since it will just be me in there. I really like the extra space for myself.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I thought I'd have an REI Half-Dome Plus by now, too. It got all the way from Hermiston, OR, to Commerce City, CO, by about 12:15AM last Thursday and was scheduled to be delivered on Thursday. But UPS shows it still sitting there. I called REI about it today and they said they'd get on it. I'm in no great rush to use it, but I'd like to get it in time to practice setting it up a time or two before I head up to Spearfish in July. :)

OP
OP

elizilla

On the Alaska ferry we duct taped the stakes to the deck. Even if your tent is free standing and you put a bunch of stuff in to weight it down, the wind will take it. There was one guy who decided he didn't need to tape the stakes down, and during the night the wind changed and rolled his tent right over with him in it. And it rolled him onto another guy who was sleeping in the open air. I woke to a sound like a fist fight outside my tent, and two men cursing up a storm. It was actually two men thrashing and tangled in this overturned tent. The guy showed me his bruises, the next day - the poles had whipped him.

OP
OP

elizilla

My airbeam tent arrived yesterday, and it is now set up in my backyard. It seems pretty nice. Comfortably sized, comparable floor space to my two-man two-pole dome, but the shape makes it feel a little taller and more spacious inside. Some of the reviewers claimed they'd put three people in this tent, but I think those reviewers must be from the same pygmy planet as the people who write tent specifications. Two would be comfortable in there if they don't have too much gear; add gear and it would get tight fast. It seems to ventilate reasonably well, but today is a perfect day for tents, sunny with a steady light breeze. I need a hot still day, a gusting wind day, and a frog strangler day, to truly test a tent.

It was confusing to set up, but I think it will be easier next time now that I know what goes where. In the past I have always just used a blue tarp for a ground cloth, but this time I bought the ready made footprint, which is nice, it attaches to the bottom so it will stay in place. It has good stakes - they are cast aluminum, less bendy than the cheap wire stakes that commonly come with small tents, and not so bulky as those yellow plastic stakes that come with big tents. They drove into the ground easily. I laid it out and staked it, and once I figured out how to get at them the airbeams pumped easily and lifted it right up. I didn't try to pump it up from inside.

The specifications said it packs down to 7" x 14", but it was more like 8" x 20" as it came out of the box. It came packed in a dry bag so it couldn't be compressed any more. Maybe if I pack it more carefully and put it in a different stuff sack I can get it down smaller.

I'll post a real review when I've actually used it. I'll be taking it out next Thursday.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Good. Quality first.

You need a two-person-size two-layer tent, an air self-inflating mattress, a good sleeping bag and a compress-able pillow. Then you are good to go. Well, add a towel and a string for drying underwear that you wash up during the trip.

Here's my tent:

It's put up from packed on the bike to livable in just two minutes. It will fold and pack in three. Quite nice!
Christian, I interegated that pic and found this.
http://www.handelsboden.com/mctalt-4bikers-trail-p-1682-c-220.aspx
but, I couldnt make the translator work. Is there a video or something that shows how this thing goes up so fast?

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
My stuff is 16 years old. But it is about as much camping as I want to get in to. Manly used when I trip in the mountains with the KLR. Here is a picture of it. One requirement is that the tent, sleeping bag, and sleeping pad, fit into the bike luggage. I hate to carry a bunch of stuff piled up on the back seat.

Last edited:
Top Bottom