Morpho Airbeam tent

OP
OP

elizilla

I have several of those chairs. They don't last long, but they can be found just about anywhere, for under $10, when they're in season.

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
I have a couple different chairs.. seems like every time I bring one there's a picnic table or lots of chairs around... I'm starting to think unless you know there won't be places to sit, just leave them at home LOL.

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
I have a similar chair, it is a Kawaskie branded logo on it, very comfortabler etceven has a drink holder pocket in the arm,BUT is a bit wide at 37 inches.when placed on biker it is hanging out a estimated 3 to 4 inches outside of the standard bag doors and the pannier bags from aerostich on the tank. The weight is not bad I didn't weigh it but I would guess arround 7 or 8 pounds. The width is a concern to me. LOLO I set uit upright BUT that would be like a section of telephome pole standing up above everything else so much for that idea. n looking at Chucks picture it appears that chair may be shorter.??

OP
OP

elizilla

Those kind of chairs come in a couple sizes. The throne-like versions with big armrests and footrests and whatnot, are more common but pack larger. I always look for the smaller ones. Not that I wouldn't love to have a big chair - I just don't want to carry so much.

I also have picked up a three legged stool of similar construction. Not as comfy, but packs way smaller; I can put it inside the pannier. Sometimes I bring that instead.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I sure do like my Kermit chair with the leg extenders. But it sure was a lot of money. Some of the lighter-weight chairs you all have shown don't last long at all under my weight, either.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Hi Chris! Yes there is. Look at this one:

[video=youtube;fC1R2Ro_rRo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=fC1R2Ro_rRo[/video]

A bit short but I think you understand the construction better after seeing this video. The tent in the video is not the same as mine, but belongs to the same family with (almost) identical construction.

Some people have commented the tent as "you forgot the outer part of the tent" as the tent pins (correct name?) are visible. But this is the construction to be able to fold and unfold the tent so rapidly. They are both done in seconds. The tent is a dual layer fabric with about 4 inches in-between the layers, all in the package from start.
Wow, thanks, Christian! That is slick! What are the folded dimensions of your tent and what are the openned up dimmensions? I can convert from the metric system if you just have them in metric.
Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
My stuff is 16 years old. But it is about as much camping as I want to get in to. Manly used when I trip in the mountains with the KLR. Here is a picture of it. One requirement is that the tent, sleeping bag, and sleeping pad, fit into the bike luggage. I hate to carry a bunch of stuff piled up on the back seat.
I really like those bags...who makes them and what is the model? I like the duffel on the passenger seat to rest my back against....great pics, thanks! I like the cup hanging ....

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Last edited:

bicyclist

I sure do like my Kermit chair with the leg extenders. But it sure was a lot of money. Some of the lighter-weight chairs you all have shown don't last long at all under my weight, either.
Kermit chairs are expensive. So is throwing away all of those cheap chairs that you buy before you finally come to the realization that you should have bought a Kermit chair years ago.:wink:

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I am so lazy I just use a calculator on the web for conversions....! The only downside about this tent is the amount of room you get inside vs it's packed size.
I am too claustraphobic to want to spend a rainy day inside a tent that is 2' 9" high. The Prospector is four and a half ft tall, which is pleanty
of room to set up a camp chair, light the mini-propane stove, heat the tent and cook breakfast.
Christian, if the end of the tent is 80 cm wide, that's only 2 ft seven inches. How do you get two people in there unless one is a beautiful Swedish blond lady who is
sleeping very close to you? Ahhhhhh.....NOW I get it....
Chris learning Swedish!

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Haha, no I didn't mean it THAT way! :)
But, I'm not so very sure that the measurements in the drawing are that accurate. Let me set up the tent and take some pics and measurements and I will get back to you all.
great! Put a rolled out sleeping bad in there for reference and take a pic of the interior....

OP
OP

elizilla

I just spent three nights in my new Morpho Airbeam tent.

Before I bought it, I found reviews out there from people claiming the one person version was spacious enough for a person and gear, and other reviews saying they put three people in the two person version. My experience of tents in general is that the people who tell us how many people can sleep in one tent, were probably extras in the Munchkin scenes in the Wizard of Oz. Based on these reviews, I wondered if Morpho was an exception to this. But I decided not to risk buying the one person tent - mine is the two person version. This was the right choice - they size their tents just like anyone else; you have to divide the number by two. My two person Morpho Airbeam was a pretty good size for one motorcyclist with gear. Two could sleep in there if they didn't expect to have leathers and helmets and boots inside with them, and the doors are set up on each side so they wouldn't end up having to crawl over each other; it would be suboptimal but not impossible. For me alone, I was happy enough.

The tent has this convertible feature, where you can set up the end of it as either a vestibule or an interior space. If you make it so it's got the maximum interior, there's room for two pairs of shoes under the rain fly by the door, but no more vestibule than that. The space isn't tall enough for boots. Since I am tall I wanted the length, so I set it up for maximum interior rather than sacrificing interior for vestibule. Like this, it is roomy enough to set my boots and helmet inside the tent, up above the head of my bed, and this worked out fine. I didn't miss having a larger vestibule.

Low temperatures were in the low 50s and high 40s, with a few spells of very light rain, and heavy dew, during my long weekend. The single wall tent material did not get any condensation on the inside. It was dryer than my double wall tents. Water did not sneak in around the sides and corners, even when I piled stuff against the walls. So that part is OK. The portion over the convertible vestibule is conventional double wall tent construction, and performed just like I am used to, from convention double wall tents. (ie: water condenses on the underside of the fly, but doesn't get inside the tent as long as you don't push the inner mesh/nylon wall to the point where it touches the fly.)

The setup was easy and fast, and so was the teardown. This time, instead of folding and rolling I simply stuffed it, and this made it easier to get it into the bag. Once I had it in there I ratcheted down the straps and got it closer to the promised 7" x 14" Still, not quite there. Maybe with more break-in.

I did not try to put it in a compression sack with my sleeping bag and pad. Like Mellow said, it was wet, and they weren't.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP

elizilla

I'd give it a solid seven or eight.

It's not a ten because I miss having a real vestibule, it doesn't pack as small as promised, and it cost way too much, even on sale. But I like it well enough that it will replace my Eureka Apex. The single wall thing works really well, better than the double wall tents I have had. The airbeams work great; the tent is more stable in the wind than a tent with poles, and quieter because it flaps less. In one of the other threads here, there are pictures of wind-damaged tents. This one wouldn't fail like that, because the airbeams would just give and then spring back up, and there are no hard poles to start tearing the fabric when they snap.

Top Bottom