Motivation to Install McCruise contol

CSMRider

Well friends I finally did it and ordered the electronic cruise control from Australia. I have had it for month now & can seem to fine the gumption or time to install it. So if any of you are thinking about installing one, and you are within driving distance of 82007 Cheyenne WY, let me know. My bike can be the ginnie pig for your wrench turning decision making pleasure. Of course I will help just need a buddy to talk with and commiserate during the installation. I work nearly every weekend. Will be out of the country in a couple of weeks, but if you are interested let me know & I will take leave.

With working so much I come home pooped. Go to work between 05:30 & 06:30 each day. Usually get home between 17:30 and 24:00. I try not to complain to much, because it's better than not having a job. At this rate will get it installed this winter. My garage is 90 miles from Cheyenne. Help if you can brothers.

With Respect,
CSMRider, Tom

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Tom,

A buddy installed a Rostra Electronic Cruise Control on my NT about 3 weeks ago. It may not be as neat an installation as the MCCruise Control, but he did a good job of it. It works great at 30mph, is jerky from 31 to 51mph, but then works fine at speeds of up to 85mph.

I'd be happy to meet you on a Friday, but it would have to be in the middle of October or later. I'm 108 miles from Cheyenne, and according to S&T, if I come through Scottsbluff, 151 miles (2 hours 35 min) from Torrington.

Let me know.

BTW, what are you installing it on? According to your sig line, you've got a Ninja 650, a Ural, and a Burgmann -- what happened to your NT?

OP
OP

CSMRider

Sorry Brother it's been a while since I've been on. Busy working seemingly all the time. I work this weekend as well. I am installing it on my NT. I sold the Ninja to a young buck, and the 400 Burgman is my wife's. She is happy with the wrist rocker. I will have to update my bike ownership.

Take care Phil I'll yak at you later.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I installed my MC Cruise last winter and other than a minor and temporary glitch, I have been 100% happy with it. The cruise worked fine but putting the sidestand down with engine running and trans in gear would not kill the engine as it should. The good folks at MC Cruise told me how to resolve the glitch and it took all of 5-minutes then it was perfect!

OP
OP

CSMRider

Phil my Ural does have a hack. My wife loves the ride and Jack the dog loves being in his kennel on the hack rack.
Devil I will keep your offer in mind when I finally get to it. I have to work this weekend again.
DirtFlier I have read the instructions thoroughly and the cable interface unit is the only thing that has me a little perplexed. So you think that part of the install is fairly straight forward?

Friends someday I will have a weekend off & just might have the gumption to install it. I'm going down to Aurora, Colorado next Friday to get in on the valve check with Chuck, so maybe that will give me some impetus to get at it.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Tom, do a search on the Forum for Rostra Cruise Control Install. BobAgain started the thread, I think. I gave a good verbal description of how my installer handled the throttle actuation connection.

Fender washers, connector nut, machine screws. It was simple (for him! Wouldn't have been for me!).

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I will sure agree with everyone that (at least out here in the wide-open western half of the country) the cruise control is a great addition. I've even learned a trick that lets mine work smoothly at speeds down to 35-40 mph. When I hit the "Set" button, if it start surging, I just pop the "Accel" button a time or two and it smooths right out.

I'm guessing that if I'd reset a couple of DIP switches like Bob did his, I wouldn't need to use my trick.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
I will sure agree with everyone that (at least out here in the wide-open western half of the country) the cruise control is a great addition.
Even "Back East" it is handy... The Tri-Glide is the first bike I have had with electronic cruise control and it sure makes "Interstate droning" a lot more pleasant... Set the Cruise, hit play on a CD, adjust the CB squelch and enjoy the ride...now if I could just find the A/C controls...:rolleyes1:

OP
OP

CSMRider

Well friends just couldn't find any days off. I work a lot of weekends as I said before. Why fight it I gave up and called Interstate Honda in Ft Collins, CO. They had never heard of McCruise, so was excited to have the opportunity to work with one. It seems they have several customers that ask about aftermarket electronic cruise controls. So I dropped it off Friday the 8th, and they said they would call when it was done. Finally will have it on before the heavy riding season. Sometimes you just gotta dig into your saving and go for it.
Take care friends....

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I have a little over 11k miles on my MCCruise and it's never given me a bit of trouble. Today I used it several times on my early-spring 140 mile ride!

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Interstate Honda in Ft Collins, CO. They had never heard of McCruise, so was excited to have the opportunity to work with one. It seems they have several customers that ask about aftermarket electronic cruise controls. So I dropped it off Friday the 8th, and they said they would call when it was done
I'll be anxious to see your McCruise installation. It sounds like a great option. It'll be interesting to compare it to the Rostra. When will they have it done?

OP
OP

CSMRider

Phil they started on it Monday and called me Tuesday afternoon. It was a nice clean install, and the mechanic said it was well thought out. I picked it up yesterday and drove it home. A little spendy on the install, they charged me 8 hours labor. While at it I had them do a quick service for me as well. The electronic cruise control works great and relieves the pain issues. I love the layout of the actuator buttons. Plenty of room for bulky gloves to operate.

Deb and I are trying to decide if we are coming to the Colorado reservoir before the S. D. trip. take care my friend.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I'm glad your installation went well. 8 hours doesn't sound too extreme. My friend Mike spent about 14 hours installing the Rofstra on my NT. He was familiar witth the Rofstra CC, and wasn't that baffled by the NT. The biggest time sink was designing and fabricating the throttle/CC connection.

I'll be anxious to see yours!

I hope we see you at Reudi.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
[...the electronic cruise control works great and relieves the pain issues...]

Check to see that the sidestand safety circuit still works as intended. With the engine running and in 1st gear, putting the sidestand down should cut the ignition. If it doesn't, send me a PM and I'll supply the simple fix provided by Frank at MC Cruise.
It only takes a minute or so and is all done at the handlebar mounted control switch.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
The cruise control would be nice but having to have a dealer install it at 8 hours would put the total cost at close to 2G's which is more than I would want to spend.

OP
OP

CSMRider

Dirtflier I'll check the engine kill in first w/kick stand down, and will give you a holler If I need to. Alas my friends when you have a little more money then time off, you choose to have someone else have the fun of the install.

I kind of miss the days when I had every weekend off. Now one month is amazing.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Your work scheduie sounds like the one I had when I started work in the oilfield in '75. I averaged 94 hrs/wk for 2 1/2 years. In one way that was good, since I didn't get paid very much/hr. But I got lots and lots of overtime, so I ended up with a pretty good paycheck. I was on call 24/7 but supposedly had one weekend a month off ... if I wasn't on a job on Frday that slopped over into the weekend or if a job came up and nobody else could cover it. I think the longest I went with no weekend off was "only" 3 1/2 months.

I finally got promoted to a salaried position and had 3 out of 4 weekends off (unless an emergency came up). But, without the overtime, my takehome went way down for the first couple of years. I finally got promoted to a job that had me making really good money ... and then I came back to the ministry. After that, I only had to work an hour or two a week (and if you believe that, I've got a lot of land in south Florida I could sell you), but I made really bad money for about the first seven or eight years.

I don't get weekends off very often, but in 2 1/2 months that's gonna' change. :)

Not that I'm counting the days or anything, but 73 days from now, I'll be a retired person!!

Top Bottom