Motorcycle Larry's Handlebar Risers

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Folks, I emailed MC Larry to see why his risers weren't shown on his website. He emailed me back to tell me that they had been producing a new batch and that that was done. They're there again!

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Phil,
That's good to know. They are of a very high quality and are a piece of cake to install. I love mine. Also his lower footpegs are exceptionally well made and equally easy to install. Took me 20 minutes to do both. Also, they are very nice people to do business with.

Bike
2010 NT700V
One of the first things I did after getting the NT was order a set of 1" risers from MCL. They were at my door in just 3 or 4 days. I got the bike May 28, it was mid-June sometime when I ordered the risers.. Easy install (except for that d**n brake hose clamp), look like factory. I just wish I could have 2" rise and 1" pullback without redoing the clutch cable and brake hose.

Bike
2010 Maroon NT 700
So do the 1.1" risers actually make a difference? Even though the install looks like a breeze, I'm concerned I'll mess up something - as soon as I think something will take only 20 minutes, it inevitably takes way more than that. Suvc04 -what was the issue with the brake hose clamp?

Bike
2010 NT700V
So do the 1.1" risers actually make a difference? Even though the install looks like a breeze, I'm concerned I'll mess up something - as soon as I think something will take only 20 minutes, it inevitably takes way more than that. Suvc04 -what was the issue with the brake hose clamp?
The install was a breeze. The brake hose clamp does not want to slide down the brake hose, so I just zip tied it to the wiring harness clump next to it.
For me, I still have a little forward lean, but the 1.1 inch definitely does make a difference.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
The MCL risers are one of the best comfort mods I have made to my NT. And MCL's look OEM as they blend in on the contour of the base and color matched right up...

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
I ordered mine over the 4th weekend and they arrived today (Thur).
I agree with the most bang for the buck farkle... brings the grips closer for my short arms.

Did anyone else add washers to the installation?
The original washer integrated OEM bolt had a larger contact area than the included allen bolts.
I added a washer prior to torquing the bolts. Odd that MCL kit did not include washers to closer match OEM instal.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
so, no need for new cables ?
No, there is plenty of slack. The "hardest" part may be loosening your brake cable hose clamp to pull it up a little...the hose clamp is a little challenging to reach. Not everyone has to loosen the clamp so you may get lucky...:D

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I read your post, Ixta, and thought to myself, "Hmmm. I haven't noticed that my hands aren't behind the wind deflectors." I thought about it some more and they're definitely right where I'd want them to be with regard to the deflectors.

Then I remembered that when I installed the risers, I also rotated the bars toward me. That rotation moved them down to the same height they were before installing the risers, but brought them closer to me and made the angle of my wrists more comfortable.

keystone

MCL risers were the first thing I bought for my NT but I've switched to Twisted Throttle risers. Not only do they raise the bars 1" but also move them closer to me an inch without changing the cables. It makes for comfortable upright riding. I'm 5'9" and like long walks on the beach. . . no wait wrong forum. Another plus is that it does away with the cross bar that's from riser to riser so access to the ignition is easier.

Bike
2010 Red NT700
Keystone,
Thanks for telling us that no new cables are needed for the Twisted Throttle risers. I have the MCL risers, but thought it might be interesting trying out the ones bringing the handlebar just a bit closer.....

freezingalaskan

Keystone, do you mind if I ask which risers did you purchased for the NT from Twisted Throttle?

Jim

Keystone, I just ordered those risers. I think the 1" bar back will do the trick. I thought about getting them once but was concerned I may have to change out cables and hoses. Since you were able to accomplish the task without changing out the lines, I was sold. Thanks for the heads up.

Jim

keystone

No problem nccmpig. I'm glad to help a fellow rider. I also failed to mention that the position doesn't interfere with my wind deflectors. Not sure if you have those but it looks to be a concern for some riders and rightly so. Who needs to spend $115.00 on some neoprene just to have it become ineffective.

Bike
Silver NT700V
In my case, the MCL risers had no noticable effect on the effectiveness of the wind deflectors.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
MCL risers were the first thing I bought for my NT but I've switched to Twisted Throttle risers. Not only do they raise the bars 1" but also move them closer to me an inch without changing the cables. It makes for comfortable upright riding. I'm 5'9" and like long walks on the beach. . . no wait wrong forum. Another plus is that it does away with the cross bar that's from riser to riser so access to the ignition is easier.
On the Twisted Throttle site they say that with the NT700V ABS that you have to move the front brake hose clamp down 1.5". Do you have the ABS model and did you have to move the hose clamp as they indicate ?

keystone

I don't have the ABS NT Warren so no adjustments were needed. I remember reading on this forum about needing to move the cable on ABS models

Bike
Silver NT700V
As far as the brake line goes, when installed my MCL Risers, I did have to loosen the clamp holds the line and slid the line up a bit. There was plenty of slack in the line. After the install, I re-tightened the clamp. It was simple, even with "cave man tools". My NT is non-ABS so I don't know if the cables and hoses are different in that area.

Top Bottom