Motorcycle Larry's Handlebar Risers

I put on my riser barbacks from Twisted Throttle last night. Keystone was correct, they fit without any modification and are just as easy to put on as the MCL risers and it does make placing the key into the ignition infinitely easier. It took approximately 20 minutes to put on. The ride is more up right and makes the bike much more comfortable to ride. I will try to take a pic this week and post it.

Jim

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I put on my riser barbacks from Twisted Throttle last night. Keystone was correct, they fit without any modification and are just as easy to put on as the MCL risers and it does make placing the key into the ignition infinitely easier. It took approximately 20 minutes to put on. The ride is more up right and makes the bike much more comfortable to ride. I will try to take a pic this week and post it.

Jim
Jim, do you have a standard or ABS model ?

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
I would be interested to know how many people on this forum do NOT have risers. Looks to me that Honda might consider a different handlebar geometry for their future models.

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
It may be a common change but mine are as Honda built them. Bars that is.

elizilla

I would be interested to know how many people on this forum do NOT have risers. Looks to me that Honda might consider a different handlebar geometry for their future models.
I think that risers are extremely popular for a lot of bikes. But if the bike came with higher bars, what would the people who like their bars lower do? There are no bar lowerers. Having the stock height be at the low end of customer preferences, gives us all the max options.

Warren, I have the beautiful Red NT so it is non-abs. I didn't have to move anything to put them on.

Jim

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
When I put the MCL risers on my ABS NT I just removed the brake line clamp.

If anyone has a source for an extended brake like I'd be interested. I want to either rais and move the bars back a bit more, or get a new set of bars that do the same. I may even play around with a set of adjustable bars.

Bike
Silver NT700V
Katherine makes an excellent point about bike design. Bar may be low intentionally. It is relatively easy to move bars up and back. If bars are already too high it would be very difficult and EXPENSIVE to lower them.

Bike
2011 Black NT700 ABS
I put the MCL risers couple of days ago on my NT700 ABS with no problems.
I had to remove bolt of the clamp, put the risers, opened the clamp so the rubber can be moved, slide it down about an inch and fixed it back to the frame. The only small problem was closing it back tight so the bolt can slide it the holes.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Katherine makes an excellent point about bike design. Bar may be low intentionally. It is relatively easy to move bars up and back. If bars are already too high it would be very difficult and EXPENSIVE to lower them.
If that's the case it would have been nice if the mothership had given us a little more clutch and brake cable length.

Bike
2010 NT700V
If that's the case it would have been nice if the mothership had given us a little more clutch and brake cable length.
And pass up a chance to charge you quadruple what the replacement parts are worth to extend those cables?

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
And pass up a chance to charge you quadruple what the replacement parts are worth to extend those cables?
And don't forget that an extra millimeter here and a millimeter there adds up to some serious yen when when you make a couple hundred thousand cables... :D

Bike
2010 NT700V
And don't forget that an extra millimeter here and a millimeter there adds up to some serious yen when when you make a couple hundred thousand cables... :D
ABSOLUTELY!! That's part of what sank the American car industry. The bean counters realized that if they were building 5 or 6 million cars a year and could save even PENNIES a car, it would make a real difference. That is the real reason that everything was switched from 6 volt to 12 volt. The higher voltage could power the same things with very much smaller wiring. The savings in copper alone was in the $MILLIONS$. A side benefit was a slight reduction in weight, but that was just a lucky plus.

elizilla

When I had my V-Strom, I used to complain that Suzuki saved money on the build by never including even 1mm of slack in the wiring harness. Gah. Every circuit on the bike ran through a half dozen clips on a plastic shield behind the radiator and you couldn't take the radiator off or get the valve covers open, without pulling that @#$% shield. And with not even 1mm of slack in the wiring, you couldn't get at the clips to break the wiring loose from it. Drove me nuckin' futz.

elizilla

Now you tell me... BTW you need to update your signature...:D
Done. So tell me how you got five lines in your signature? Mine won't let me save with more than four lines, and it counts the states map as one of the lines.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Done. So tell me how you got five lines in your signature? Mine won't let me save with more than four lines, and it counts the states map as one of the lines.
I just added another six text lines playing around with mine... I suspect it has to do with the total space allocated for a signature and your two maps got you.... Try deleting one map and then add text... Just don't save your signature, only use preview, while the map is "deleted"...

elizilla

My two maps are one image file. When I first added them it wouldn't let me add two images so I had to make them into one.

Maybe you get more lines because you're a mod.

It's not that important anyway. Don't sweat it.

Bradkap

Just completed 300 miles on the road today, MCL risers made a HUGE difference !

Bob

I have but have not yet installed a set of MCL risers. I took them with me on my first long trip planning to install them if needed but found I was OK without them. I like the stock geometry for my 30 minute commute to work. Ideally, it would be great to have an adjustable set. (6' 180, 32 inseam)

Top Bottom