Motorcycle Sport Touring Association

tawilke46

Do we have any forum members who are also members of the MSTA?

I joined the MSTA yesterday. Just a 1 year membership to get a feel for the association, the activities, and the membership. So far it looks very good and well run. They have about the same number of members as we do here.
The forum layout is virtually the same as ours (vBulletin), so navigating it is second nature.

I will keep an update here as things progress on the MSTA forum.

OP
OP
tawilke46

tawilke46

Seem to be another group of really fine folks that love to ride.

Read Iguana Joe's post on "Riding with Ghosts" in the General Chat Section of the forums. Brought a tear to my eye as I read it.

Last edited:

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I've been a member since 1990 when it was called the Honda Sport Touring Assn (HSTA), and very active starting around 1998, attending many events per year plus lots of "just for fun" rides where non-members are free to come along. The club name was changed to the MSTA a few years ago to make it more inclusive, although previous to that most members had a primary or secondary motorcycle that wasn't a Honda so it really didn't matter. All national and state officers are non-paid volunteers.

In OH, we have one breakfast per month and also one lunch ride, plus other events. The breakfast ride is always to Washington Courthouse the 3rd Saturday of the month and the lunch ride moves around to different parts of the state and on different weekends.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
It has the same problem with event listings that i have seen elsewhere. The location is not in the thread title. So, if you are interested you have to either know where the events are held or you have to enter each thread to see where it is.

This is just a little nit that I have with most event listings in most forums. But, it keeps me from joining a group because I can't tell if they have any events that I would attend. And locations that seem logical to some but to others are just confusing, like a three rivers or quad city or tri-city or any other nickname that is repeated in several regions of the US.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
The MSTA website has individual forums for each state (with members) on the Homepage so you can find the detail stuff there. We only have two members in NM so you can't expect too much locally!

Brand or model specific groups are great for sharing information about our bikes but not so great about events. Club websites have mostly info about events or rides and very little about bikes. Such is life....

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I joined. Don't know if I'll renew after the first year. I've heard some people say that it's a good group. Don't know if there's much MSTA activity here in Colorado.

OP
OP
tawilke46

tawilke46

I joined. Don't know if I'll renew after the first year. I've heard some people say that it's a good group. Don't know if there's much MSTA activity here in Colorado.
That is what I did Phil. Joined for one year just to see how it goes. So far so good. I've done all my input for personal profile, bikes, pictures, etc. Ready to rock and roll. People seem friendly enough, but maybe not as responsive as our group. They only have 1,300 members so they are like our forum, still kinda small compared to say the ST forum with 16,000 members.
The site seems to be more about events and gatherings of some sort or another. I dug around and found there is a small group of MSTA folks here in Louisiana that gather for occasional rides.
The site format is very similar to ours.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Phil - Colorado has 25+ MSTA members and we had our national rally in Avon last year. This year it will be in Lexington KY, as we alternate between west of the Big Muddy or east of the Big Muddy. The furthest west we've had our rally is in Mammoth Lakes, CA and in the east it would be probably be State College PA. We typically get 350-450 members at our national rally, called STAR.

The greatest concentration of members is in the tri-state are of OH, MI, and IN, where the total membership is around 500-550 but the greatest number of "national events" is probably in the southeast. We have one national event in OH (Marietta) and IN (Corydon) has one. Besides the national events there are also lots of "just for fun" events in many of the states.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I'll be keeping an eye on the schedule and try to make one of the events before the year is out. An old COG buddy of mine belongs here in Colorado.

Top Bottom