MSF/Virginia Tech Transportation Institute Study

tawilke46

Found reference to this study this in the October issue or Rider magazine.
This study will seek to advance understanding of key issues facing motorcyclists.
Focusing on crash/injuries/fatalities rates on motorcycles going up while overall crash rates for most road users are going down.

All data is kept confidential.
If anyone is interested in participating in this study, go to the link below:

www.motorcycle.vtti.vt.edu

stupidmonkey

NT is not supported. Just got a call back so it must be those bikes under "System and installation" on the site.

OP
OP
tawilke46

tawilke46

OOPS! Did not look at the ad close enough........wonder why any road motorcycle could not be used??????????? A motorcycle is a motorcycle.
Oh well.

elizilla

When you do a scientific study, you want to control as many variables as you can, so you know that what you are measuring isn't being confounded by some unrelated thing. The reason they are trying to use only specific motorcycles, is that they're installing a lot of high tech data acquisition stuff on them. If they can use a smaller number of different kinds of bikes, they can standardize the installation of all that stuff, which means it is less difficult to install and there is less risk of data being contaminated by installation differences.

I believe they're actually storing data about everything the rider does, and videoing what the rider sees, so they can look at any study bikes that are involved in accidents and find out what the rider's reactions are.

I have a friend who works at VTTI, who is very excited about this study. He says it's the biggest motorcycle study since the Hurt Report.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
I was interested in taking part with my Wing but when I looked at what the bike would look like with the devices attached, I decided not to. The recording boxes would also get in the way of storage for the various long distance trips my wife and I planned on taking.

It is a great looking study and I certainly hope it helps to improve our understanding on how to reduce motorcycle accidents.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I dropped the idea when I read that you had to be near enough the installing center for them to be able to easily download the info and that you couldn't go near border crossings.

elizilla

I would have signed up, except my bikes are already so heavily farkled; would there be room for all that stuff? :shrug2:

Top Bottom