My Experience in Buying New Boots

Bike
Bonneville T120
I'm pretty lucky in that I'm a pleasant motorcycle ride away from Iron Pony in Westerville, OH. I'm not sure what the place was previously to a motorcycle gear/motorcycle store but based on the size I'm guessing a Home Depot or Super WalMart. They do online sales as well.

I went in looking for waterproof boots. My issue is fairly wide feet. Shoes have always been a bit of a challenge especially if want something that looks good. I was met at the boot department by a young woman. I was initially worried as she looked like she was a high school student working part time. What would she know about motorcycle boots?

She said follow me, asked my size and picked two pairs out of their extensive inventory. She said these should work. I got the TCX EVO Jupiter (or something like that). It was truly a pleasure to go to a shop with choices in everything. Loads of boots, helmets, gloves, jackets, etc.

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
I am glad to hear of the good reportson those boots. My son bought same brand and is also well please withthem, when we took grand daughter ti a cycle gear in Portland or we were preety disappointed. she knew that she wanted leathe, salesman had a haard time trying to find jaacckeeet and pants ina close to ccorrect sizw, then he said I have some nice fabric geaaar that will be just right for you. MISTAKE shelooked him in the eye aand said NO WAAAY emphaticly he keeept trying to fit herrr wiith the best stuff they had and we priced it out aat a bit over 1400.00 NS SHW TOOK IT OFF ANDSAID LETS LOOK ELLSEWHERE. WENT ANOOTHER 5 MILES TO lANGLITZ lEAATHERS AMD LEFT THERE ABOUT A HOOUR LATER PERFECTLY FITTED WIIITHHIIIGHQUALITY lANGLITZ GEAR , JACKET AND PANTS, PADDED WITH ALL THERIGHT POCKEEETS EETC FOR JUST UNDER 2000,00. qHEN IT IS TIME FOR NEW BOOTS MAYBE WE WILLL LOOK AGAIIN AT CYCLEEE GEAARBUT WE WILLLOOK WLSWQHEERE LIKE WEAXO BOOTS IN sR hWLWNS OREGON A CUSTOM BUILDEER AS WELL AS IN Spokane wA AAT wHITE BOOTS , ANOTHER CUSTOM BUILDER

eLSON

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
I'm with you about Cycle Gear. They have some quality gear now. Awhile back, I bought a very nice leather jacket for my daughter with matching riding pants. Good quality - she liked the style, and I liked the price.

(In this photo, she was wearing jeans.)

Bike
2010 NT700, silver
I bought the Tour Master Hipora Breathable water proof boots from Iron pony...in anticipation of riding to the NT meet in S.D....ended up not making the trip, I've worn the boots once, on a ride to Annapolis...no complaints, I'm sure I'll get some use out of them on my next road trip....probably next year. Fall is really kickin in....getting cool, just riding local, to work and such...

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
[....I'm pretty lucky in that I'm a pleasant motorcycle ride away from Iron Pony in Westerville, OH. I'm not sure what the place was previously to a motorcycle gear/motorcycle store but based on the size I'm guessing a Home Depot or Super WalMart...]

It was previously a K-Mart. I live about 90-miles west of Iron Pony and over the years have watched it grow from its original home in an old gas station/convenience store, ex-Krogers market, etc., and now a K-Mart. They recently enlarged the building and moved the service shop so they could have more display area!

I'm an year-round rider plus have taken many cross-country trips where I've ridden in rain all-day. Long ago I gave up on "waterproof" motorcycle boots and decided to try some 8" tall, Wolverine, high-quality work boots. They are comfy, waterproof, and from my perspective I can sacrifice a tiny bit of protection for being able to walk around for hours without looking like Frankenstein and also knowing that my feet will stay dry in heavy rain.

Wolverine boots are assembled in the USA. :)

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I've had two pair of TCX X-5 GoreTex boots and have ridden well over 100K miles in them. Several times I've ridden all day in hard rain and my feet have never even gotten damp. I have to wear an insert with them (Aerostitch's High-profile sizing insole: http://www.aerostich.com/clothing/footwear/insoles/high-profile-sizing-insoles.html) with them, but they're comfortable all day riding or walking. Worth the bucks in MNSHO.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I have the same boots that Phil does and could not be happier. I have been wearing them for four years of everyday commuting rain, cold and the heat of summer. They still perform like new. Of course clothing is very personal and someone else might not like them.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V - ABS
I have been very happy with Alpinestars. I bought Gore-Tex road boots years ago. They were as comfy as my slippers. Rain isn't such a big issue in California but I wore those boots while commuting in all weather and temperatures (probably a bit warm in the summer). I have been caught in heavy rain and I foolishly crossed a flooded road where the water nearly rose over my boot tops while my feet were on the foot pegs. They have always been waterproof and still very comfortable. They are showing their wear but the stitching, zippers, and Velcro are doing fine.
I later bought Alpinestars Scout dual-sport boots. Also very good. Completely waterproof and sturdy. Both pairs of boots were purchased at Road Rider Accessories which is a great family owned store in San Jose. In both cases, I waited for a sale and got a "better than Internet price".

JQL

Growing old disgracefully
Bike
2010 NT700 & 2019 FJR1300
I have the Alpinestars Web Gore-Tex boots and they are excellent. Dry, Warm in Winter, Cool in Summer and most importantly infinitely adjustable. I've even walked about 2.5 miles carrying a heavy backpack in them on a number of occassions.

Two things of note: They have a built-in life expectancy of about 1000 or so manipulations of the fastener. Then the spring breaks. You can still use them without the spring no problems, they just rattle a bit as you walk. Also, the grip isn't brilliant once the soles are about half worn. For most people, that'll be about 4-5 years of riding or so. For me, it's about 2 years as I take them off and put them on about 3-4 times a day 5-6 days a week, 50 weeks of the year.

I'm currently on my 2nd pair and about to buy the third pair as a Christmas Present to myself!

Last edited:
For what it's worth I also use the Alpinestars Web Gore-Tex boots and have been using them for over 3 years still on the same pair with well over 150K on them. I even have another new pair I bought bought about 2 years ago in case my original pair started to leak and wears out.

P.S. I will admit that they are horrible to walk on snow or ice though.

Top Bottom