My Guages don't work

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Lm77 said: "I suppose it's possible that the moisture could've crept in when it was at the dealership or on the boat ride over from Japan. I bought it new."

In addition to what DirtFlier said about how the bike is crated for transportation from the bike's point of manufacture to the US, not a single got a boat ride from Japan. Until 2011, all the Deauvilles/NT700Vs were made in Spain. From 2011 till production ceased in 2014, they came from Italy.

More appropriately, it's interesting that Honda wouldn't give any help on the instrument cluster. Had you bought the bike new? If so, how long had you had it before the failure?

forben

Thanks very much! Can I work the 20-pin connector loose without having to disassemble the fairing and panel?
Hi, are you able to fix the instrument problem? mine stopped working recently. Like to know whether its possible to remove instrument panel with out removing side covers (Engine guards) etc.

silshooter

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Had issues with 2 of the read outs on this panel when new. Took the fairing apart to access instrument cluster, cleaned all the connections and applied dielectric grease. Verified solid connections and it fixed my issues.

chrisvs

Most likely light oxidation build up in combination with temperature changes causing connectors to expand/contract and change quality of connections.

Unplug the connector and spray the pins on both sides with Deoxit or similar. Then plug, unplug, and replug a few times so the connectors can scrape themselves clean.

Might also be worth giving the same treatment to the fuse/holder that powers the gauge cluster.

Playing with connectors about 9K miles ago corrected my Throttle Position sensor code and engine surging.

I had similar problems. The instrument cluster stopped working if left in hot sunlight and would die whilst riding. Everything else worked just no dials or LCD. Took apart, cleaned the multipin connector and applied Deoxit. Plugged and unplugged several times and it has worked okay ever since.

Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
Ahhh, the classic oxidation issue. This an issue in humid environments or when riding out in the rain often and quite frequent.

Top Bottom