My handlebar vibration damper broke

Just wondering if anyone has seen this. Noticed the counterweight that screws into the end of the bar felt wrong. It has unscrewed itself several times but this was different. Felt tight but still loose. Unscrewed the weight and got an extra piece of aluminum 6 mm or so with an obvious appearence of breakage. Seems the only thing holding the weight in was the last 3 or 4 mm to the long black screw that holds the weight in. More than half of the aluminum fitting that the screw goes into has broken apart. Glad it did not come loose in traffic. I would not want this weight bouncing around on the freeway. Will have to think about how this gets repaired.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
I might have my old one I took out to install my Kaoko throttle lock. I'll look for it tomorrow if you want it.

Bike
2011 Black NT700
I removed items 15 and 16 screwed the bolt into the broken piece and pulled.
Clint

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
Mine fell out about 12-15-13 ordered 1 ea of 12,13,14,15,16 & 23. This assembly is really lame. Item 15 - spring clip is hard to figure out which way it goes. It clips over edge of recessed weight with the tabs facing out so when installing, look for 2 holes in handle bar that the spring clips will pop in there and when bolt starts to tighten will pull even further into holes. I did cut off threads on bolt about 3/8 and brushed off some of the thread gel to make it easier to tighten up weight without spinning it. Not very easy.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I am sure these work to some degree but to install my Kaoko throttle lock on the right handle bar I had to remove the internal weight and I can not tell any difference in vibration between the left bar that has the internal weight and the right bar that does not. Both sides have the external weight.

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
LOL some of us say they do, others say it don't , compared to my 57 BMW it does, but compared to my 62 pan head, my 69 sportster, or my 66 FlH or even the 01 Ultra classic my NT doesn't, yeah ever so slightly but not enough to complain about!

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Eldon

MAC

This might be a good time to install the Bar-end helmet locks, I think the are a damper also. IIRC.

sdcory

I just got my NT used 3 days ago so I don't know its history, but I lost the whole assembly on the way home last night. I ordered parts 12-16 plus an extra of 12 and 23 in case it looks different than my other one. I can't believe I didn't notice when it fell off! :eek1:

Bike
Silver NT700V
I lost one on my SS1000 ride. It was late at night on the return lesg. The screw came out and the weight just fell off. I hope no one was behind me. I just ordered a new weight and screww and have had no issue with it since (over a year).

An interesting side note on the effects of fatigue, given the discussion on Wendell's accident thread. I was quite tired but felt alert. However, it never occured to me to just take the loose weight off and put in the tank bag. I tried to "hold" it on as it worked loose. Clearly, judgement was more impaired than I thought. This was after 16 hours of steady travel.

Keep the shiny side up,

Chuck

tawilke46

LOL some of us say they do, others say it don't , compared to my 57 BMW it does, but compared to my 62 pan head, my 69 sportster, or my 66 FlH or even the 01 Ultra classic my NT doesn't, yeah ever so slightly but not enough to complain about!

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Eldon

Compared to my '72 CB350 the NT is smoooooth as silk.

Bike
NT700 Silver ABS
I started having to re-tighten the original bar end on my right side every week or so. I got the manic salamander pound sized tapered weights with throttle lock and never looked back (30,000 ish miles ago) I actually got the option to have the metal expanders that tap into the actual inside of the bar (but kept the original internal weights as we'll ). ... The slight buzz that was their at 70+mph is now a pillow of tranquility ...

Top Bottom