My riding season's abrupt end.

I've just changed jobs at the beginning of July. My new commute is about 60 miles one way. Victoria is sitting in my garage tempting me with her excellent commuting ergos and outstanding fuel mileage (as compared to my 2001 s10 pickup truck). Awesome, my daily commute was costing me roughly $9 a day in fuel vs $35-$39 in the truck.

Life is awesome. I really like my new job. Commuting on Victoria is relaxing. Now is the time to disassemble my Magna and fix that pesky problem with 2nd gear.

Fast-forward 3-4 weeks. It's a gorgeous day! I've just had one of the most satisfying "wins" of my professional life. For some reason Victoria and I are in complete sync. It's one on those rides where your bike feels like an extension of your body.

We've just ridden 58 of the 60 miles home from work. 150 - 200 feet from where I would turn off to go through the back streets to my neighborhood, the usual congestion at the light. No biggie, I feel good I'm stopped with my feet down and I'm just not in a hurry for this ride to end. I'm in the middle of the lane not near any intersection. Stop and Go traffic always makes me cautious so I'm in the left third of the lane with Victoria's pointed to the left of the car in front.

The car in front moves up 10 feet. I move up behind positioning as before. We're barely moving so I don't pick up my feet and let them drag. We stop moving and I plant my feet. A bang and loud scraping sound, I'm on the ground, Victoria's right pannier lid is 20 feet behind me and the SUV that had been behind me for the last five minutes has hit the car that was in front of me.

Fast forward some yelling "*** you douche bag", police reports, insurance company and $3000 damage estimate, this is not the worst thing that has happened to me.

That came yesterday. My father passed away.

It's just a bike, it will get repaired, I will ride again.

...I just needed to vent...thanks for reading.

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
We all pay taxes then die. What you do in between is what counts. Sorry to hear about your dad. The bike can get fixed or replaced hope you are all right. Find for myself when I fall off a horse the best thing seems to get back on as soon as I can. Find something, anything and ride.
Hang in there, time heals.

Bob

Sorry about your Dad. Glad that you were hugging the left side of the lane or this story could be worse.

OP
OP
Bloodthune
Thank you all for your kind words. He was ill and in constant pain for years and now he's no longer hurting. So for that much, I'm grateful that he has moved on...

In regards to the accident. I'm practicing ATGATT (I'm not always successful, hence "practicing"), so I was geared up at the time and didn't get a scratch. Plus the NT's engine guard did an excellent job of protecting me, so I was able to slide right out of the saddle and stand up.

As to what was going through the moron's head at the time, I'm not sure. Geared up I look three times the size I really am. That and given the fact that I was yelling and holding my helmet like a club pretty much kept him silent. I made him stand on the curb, away from his vehicle, while I called the police. The damage really is all in the tupperware. I was able to ride Victoria the 2 miles home from there with no issues.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
You have had quite a day. Big victory at work, big loss on the bike, bigger loss of your Dad. My folks have both been gone for a few years, and I still feel them close to me. I hope your Dad will continue to be with you, in memory and in spirit.

I'm glad the bike is plastic-damaged only. I'm also glad that you intimidated the jerk enough that he didn't do a hit-and-run and that he apparently had insurance.

We're all keeping you in our prayers!

elizilla

Wow! I am glad you are OK, and sorry to hear about your dad. Take care of yourself, OK?

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
Sorry for your loss. Glad you came out without getting hurt.
My last accident the other guy was uninsured. That was a hassle you don't need.
I may need to pay more attention to lane position at stop signs/lights. I normally don't aim the bike for open spots but I should start practcing it.

Brad

Bike
Silver NT700V
Armando,

Please accept my condolences about the loss of your dad. I pray that your mourning will be short. These losses can be hard, even the expected ones.

Glad to hear you were not hurt in the accident. Your story gives us all something to think about with street strategies. I, too, was hit from behind at a stop light a couple of years back on bike #1. I was first in line so I got knocked into the intersection. Did about $1,600 of damage to Suzuki GS500F. Rode it home though, so I think that kept the fear factor form building. That and the fact I am insane LOL. Hope get the NT fixed soon. The worst of mine was sourcing some to the fairing brackets that were bent.

Good luck,

Chuck

johnha

My sincere condolences at the loss of your dad. My dad went on to the other side in 1997 and I still think about him at least once a day. Peace.

lowriderrjw

Armando,

Did you happen to have any rear safety lighting employed at the time? I have a "back-off" module wired in that modulates by brakelight when the brakes are engaged and I always make sure I'm on the brake in stop and go traffic (also watching in my rear view). I also have an Admore light kit installed in my GIVI E55 topcase so I'm lit up pretty well in the rear. I am also in process of adding Hyper-light brake lights. No guarantees but I'd like to believe it all improves my chances.

Sorry to hear about your father.

Bike
2010 Silver NT ABS
Sorry to hear about your Dad, my condolences, the hell with the bike (it can be fixed) I assume your ok which is a blessing. Not quite clear on what happened here. Are you saying the guy behind you went right through your position (clipping the right bag) and into the car in front? If that's what went down then count your blessings that jerkoff didn't run you over. You got an angel on your shoulder that day.

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. The bike is just a bike, it will get sorted out.

OP
OP
Bloodthune
Are you saying the guy behind you went right through your position (clipping the right bag) and into the car in front?
You more or less got it. The thing of it is, we had moved 5 or 6 times prior to the accident. The accident happened fast. When I stopped moving that final time I could still feel the inertia from that movement and my eyeballs were in motion moving to the mirror when I got hit.

Top Bottom