Mystery Part on Shop Floor - Help ID Please

So, I found this part on the shop floor under my table lift where I work on my NT700V.

Looked around on the bike, but can't seem to find where it came from. Here's some pics. Anybody recognize it, or know where it goes?

Mystery Part-1.jpg

Mystery Part-2.jpg

Mystery Part-3.jpg

Thanks for any help.

Bike
2010 Red NT700V
Check inside the saddlebags, it sure looks like one of the saddlebag to frame bolts. See if you can find the rubber washer that goes underneath it too. There's also a similar bolt at the front edge of the saddlebags, under the grey cover above the footpegs.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
If I'm not mistaken, the panhead allens used inside the saddlebags have a much larger OD plus the threaded stem is much longer. I'm going to do a valve clearance check on my bike over the weekend so I'll keep an eye out for bolts that look like your mystery bolt.

OP
OP
WingMan71
Check inside the saddlebags, it sure looks like one of the saddlebag to frame bolts. See if you can find the rubber washer that goes underneath it too. There's also a similar bolt at the front edge of the saddlebags, under the grey cover above the footpegs.
I'll go check those spots and see. The rubber washer is actually on it. Hard to see in the pics.

Thanks!

OP
OP
WingMan71
If I'm not mistaken, the panhead allens used inside the saddlebags have a much larger OD plus the threaded stem is much longer. I'm going to do a valve clearance check on my bike over the weekend so I'll keep an eye out for bolts that look like your mystery bolt.
Thanks!

Let me know if you find a home for this lost guy!

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Kinda, sorta looks like the fasteners that hold the middle cowl fairing to the frame. The shoulder on the bolt fits into a metal collar that resides within a rubber bushing on the fairing. The key to your search is the presence of the shoulder on the fastener. That indicates that it fits into some sort of metal collar somewhere. The collar allows the fastener to be securely tightened without crushing the plastic or rubber Have you done any disassembly work on your bike? IMHO, it is very unlikely that a factory installed fastener has just fallen out. Not the way the gorillas on the assembly line tighten 'em down!

Mike

OP
OP
WingMan71
Kinda, sorta looks like the fasteners that hold the middle cowl fairing to the frame. The shoulder on the bolt fits into a metal collar that resides within a rubber bushing on the fairing. The key to your search is the presence of the shoulder on the fastener. That indicates that it fits into some sort of metal collar somewhere. The collar allows the fastener to be securely tightened without crushing the plastic or rubber Have you done any disassembly work on your bike? IMHO, it is very unlikely that a factory installed fastener has just fallen out. Not the way the gorillas on the assembly line tighten 'em down!

Mike
Yes, I did some disassembly a while ago on the left side which did include removing the left side middle cowl fairing!

I was running the power cord for a new USB charger from the battery along the left side of the bike, behind the middle cowl fairing, next to the left side of the gas tank and up to the handlebars. See picture...

20210811_113824.jpg

I'll go back under there and see if there's a spot missing this connector.

Thanks.

Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
So, I found this part on the shop floor under my table lift where I work on my NT700V.

Looked around on the bike, but can't seem to find where it came from. Here's some pics. Anybody recognize it, or know where it goes?

Mystery Part-1.jpg

Mystery Part-2.jpg

Mystery Part-3.jpg

Thanks for any help.
You all are wrong. It is the screw (24) and rubber washer (27) used to secure the windshield mounting brackets (16) to the adjustment sliders.

1630731695679.png

Item 24, 27, 16, and then 32... See the diagram detail below.

1630731447975.png

OP
OP
WingMan71
You all are wrong. It is the screw (24) and rubber washer (27) used to secure the windshield mounting brackets (16) to the adjustment sliders.

Item 24, 27, 16, and then 32... See the diagram detail below.

1630731447975.png
Well... hell. I guess I'd better get under there and check before my windscreen falls off!

At least it was nice enough to fall off in my shop and not out on the highway somewhere never to be found.

I guess that means that items 32 (washer), 37 (spring) and 38 (ball) might be missing as well if 24 fell out.

Time to go check it out...

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Well... hell. I guess I'd better get under there and check before my windscreen falls off!

At least it was nice enough to fall off in my shop and not out on the highway somewhere never to be found.

I guess that means that items 32 (washer), 37 (spring) and 38 (ball) might be missing as well if 24 fell out.

Time to go check it out...
Did you have those items apart when you worked on your bike? If not, then I doubt they loosened on their own. Referencing my previous post regarding the fairing bolts, once again my remembery is faulty. I looked on Traveller last night and the bolts that I thought your bolt might be are hex head, not hex drive... sorry to lead you astray.

OP
OP
WingMan71
WE HAVE A WINNER! BRILLOT2000 was right, it's a windshield mounting bracket bolt.

I should have had a clue when I was riding at highway speeds yesterday and the top left of my windshield was flapping around more than usual. Duh!

Here are some pics showing the mounting location missing the bolt.

Windshield Bracket Bolt Missing-2.jpg

Windshield Bracket Bolt Missing-1.jpg

Amazing that the washer was still hanging on! All back together now.

Thanks to everyone for playing the "what the heck is this part" game!

Last edited:
Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
WE HAVE A WINNER! BRILLOT2000 was right, it's a windshield mounting bracket bolt.

I should have had a clue when I was riding at highway speeds yesterday and the top left of my windshield was flapping around more than usual. Duh!

Here are some pics showing the mounting location missing the bolt.

Windshield Bracket Bolt Missing-2.jpg

Windshield Bracket Bolt Missing-1.jpg

Amazing that the washer was still hanging on! All back together now.

Thanks to everyone for playing the "what the heck is this part" game!
It was my pleasure. I probably spent more time than most members on this forum wrenching on my bike. I had to remove all the windshield components on several occasions. Seeing that bolt’s picture and I knew exactly where it had come from.

I’m glad you were able to solve your mystery with my help.

OP
OP
WingMan71
It was my pleasure. I probably spent more time than most members on this forum wrenching on my bike. I had to remove all the windshield components on several occasions. Seeing that bolt’s picture and I knew exactly where it had come from.

I’m glad you were able to solve your mystery with my help.
What amazes me is that the washer was still there and the bolt waited until I got home to fall off on the shop floor. Could have lost both of them out on the road.

Thanks for identifying it.

Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
What amazes me is that the washer was still there and the bolt waited until I got home to fall off on the shop floor. Could have lost both of them out on the road.

Thanks for identifying it.
No problem.

I took a look and analyze your images from an engineer’s prospective. Given the bottom washer is fixed in place and windshield is also fixed in place. The washer is resting on the tangent of the bottom washer and the inner surface of the windshield. It would be impossible for that washer to fall directly straight down and out. The bottom washer would also need to be absent as well for that to happen. I’m just saying… :cool:

Top Bottom