Name 4 this type of nut?

Bike
2009 BMW R1200RT
Can anyone tell me what this kind of a nut is called?
Or who might have a replacement?
I lost an 8mm one into the rear taillight area.

image.jpg

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
It is not the clip nut referenced in call out #8. I recognize it from when I put my top box on, I think. It is not a standard nut but a purpose engineered fastener. Where was it used on the bike?

Mike

OP
OP
NooBiker
Bike
2009 BMW R1200RT
Actually, it's from the top case mount.
Of course the Honda engineers think its funny to have a piece that's held on by tape.
Who'd ever want to take the top case mount off of their motorcycle?
Silly Americans!
They call it a square nut...

image.jpg

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Ah, the almost unobtainable, infamous, Honda "square nut". When I dropped one in to the rear of my NT while adding the luggage rack I called it all sorts of names. :eek1: Unfortunately, or fortunately depending upon your sensitivity level, I can't post them here...:rolleyes1:

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Just order them from Honda. When I was making a trunk rack I ordered 6 of them (they went with the bike). FWIW, when I made the trunk rack I used some RTV to hold the darn things in place.

This is where you find the part. Part number 3, named the "Nut, Headlight Setting" Wonder where they got the name.
http://www.hondapartshouse.com/oemparts/a/hon/506c6245f870023420a39649/seat

PS the spacer for the tail piece should probably also be ordered (part no 20 on that page). But, they are the same as a collar sold by McMaster Carr for MUCH cheaper. I got a few from Katherine cause she bought a bunch but don't know if she has any more or not.

Last edited:
OP
OP
NooBiker
Bike
2009 BMW R1200RT
Perfect
Thanks Charley!
They were .29 cheaper at Partzilla.
including shipping, 2 of them are $7.00 apiece!
BTW...Partzilla is way cheaper than Rabbits!!
I just by the plastic engine guards by the bushel...

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Just order them from Honda. When I was making a trunk rack I ordered 6 of them (they went with the bike). FWIW, when I made the trunk rack I used some RTV to hold the darn things in place.

This is where you find the part. Part number 3, named the "Nut, Headlight Setting" Wonder where they got the name.
http://www.hondapartshouse.com/oemparts/a/hon/506c6245f870023420a39649/seat

PS the spacer for the tail piece should probably also be ordered (part no 20 on that page). But, they are the same as a collar sold by McMaster Carr for MUCH cheaper. I got a few from Katherine cause she bought a bunch but don't know if she has any more or not.
If you look at the "165" in the p/n, that tells you what bike the part was originally designed for. Look at the parts illustration for that bike and you will likely see where the headlight setting nut was first used. The "MEW" designation on Honda parts indicates the NT700.

Mike

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
If you've ever been in an engineering dept for a company, you'll see files and files of parts that were specially designed for one thing, and they are then used for many other purposes. Simpler and cheaper than designing a new part.

Top Bottom