National Motorcycle Museum

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Chris - I've never been there but looking at past and present photos of the building and of the displays, I'd guess 3 hrs max to see everything and read all the placards.

Bike
2010 NT700V
I live about 80 miles up 380, 218 and 63. I have been there 4 or 5 times. DirtFlier's estimate of 3 hours is very good. Depends on how long you want to spend drooling over bikes you have never seen. Don't forget to look UP. There are bikes displayed on a shelf at almost ceiling height.
AND, if you're looking for gear (there must be SOMETHING you need) J&P Cycles is just mile or less away. Take a right at the big intersection west of the museum. It's just up the road.
Stop in at Joensy's Restaurant in Center Point. Get the BIG tenderloin and a side of the best onion rings you have ever had.

Bike
2010 NT700V
If you have time, The Field of Dreams (where the movie was shot) is at Dyersville IA. Not too far away. You don't have to be a baseball fan to feel the magic at this place.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
suvc04 - I believe that J & P Cycles has some (?) financial stake in the museum and they even enticed the AmericInn hotel chain to put up a building very nearby, perhaps across the street? I can see that J & P perhaps had visions of using the museum and the hotel as the central point for a rally?

ps. the hotel address is "101 Harley Ave" so I'm pretty sure the museum provides a lot of their business!

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
The motel is directly across the street from the museum. John Parham founded J&P Cycles and also the museum. He passed away a few years ago and the Parham family sold J&P to the conglomerate that also owns RevZilla and another company whose name escapes me. Mrs Parham still retains control of the museum and operates it as a 501C non profit. Before Parham died, each year J&P used to have a weekend open house with free food and drink and entertainment. They also had a super sale and any accessories you bought were installed free while you waited. As you might imagine, the event attracted hundreds and hundreds of bikers. A neat museum. Depending on how much you want to absorb, 3-5 hours is a realistic time.

Mike

Bike
2010 NT700V
Remember the old town Walmarts before they all were replaced with the Supercenters? That's the building it's in, so figure wandering around that amount of floorspace.

Bike
2010 NT700V
suvc04 - I believe that J & P Cycles has some (?) financial stake in the museum and they even enticed the AmericInn hotel chain to put up a building very nearby, perhaps across the street? I can see that J & P perhaps had visions of using the museum and the hotel as the central point for a rally?

ps. the hotel address is "101 Harley Ave" so I'm pretty sure the museum provides a lot of their business!

I'm not sure what the status of J&P and the museum is still. He died a few years ago. J&P was absorbed by the moto conglomerate that owns RevZilla and Cycle Gear.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Typically good things get lost when a privately-owned business is swallowed by a conglomerate. There's more to the world than making shareholders happy and paying the CEO an obscene annual salary. :confused:

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I live about 80 miles up 380, 218 and 63. I have been there 4 or 5 times. DirtFlier's estimate of 3 hours is very good. Depends on how long you want to spend drooling over bikes you have never seen. Don't forget to look UP. There are bikes displayed on a shelf at almost ceiling height.
AND, if you're looking for gear (there must be SOMETHING you need) J&P Cycles is just mile or less away. Take a right at the big intersection west of the museum. It's just up the road.
Stop in at Joensy's Restaurant in Center Point. Get the BIG tenderloin and a side of the best onion rings you have ever had.
Thanks! I think 3 hours probably is correct for me. ....Hummmmm....will think about J and P cycles.....being a pilot, I dont do left and right very well.....its a little over a mile north on 151 on the West side.

Bike
2010 NT700V
J&P moved the operation to Texas. What's left in Anamosa is just a sales room and a couple of clerks. The three day food and drunk fest doesn't happen anymore. Never went to it. Mainly a Pirate Convention. Mini-mini Sturgis. Nope. Stayed home.
We have the Davis Rally, now run by the local Scout Troop. A shadow of what it used to be, but still a fun week.

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Typically good things get lost when a privately-owned business is swallowed by a conglomerate. There's more to the world than making shareholders happy and paying the CEO an obscene annual salary. :confused:
So true......

Bike
2010 NT700V
Hey, DirtFlier, ever hear of the Little Brown Church? Just up the road in Nashua. If you get north of Anamosa, let me know.

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT

One thing I noted looking around is that there are still motels that are reasonalby priced and have availability...not like out here.....

Bike
2010 NT700V
Do NOT stay at the Bradford House. Has become a flop house. The ambulance gets 2 or 3 calls a week for OD's.
The other two are good places to stay. The AmeriVu is next to the Pub at the Pinicon. Couple of years ago, they won Best Tenderloin in Iowa. YUM. The house potato salad is good. The motels are on the south side of town, about a mile apart.
If you come LET ME KNOW.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I would not consider Comoto Holdings to be conglomerate. In fact the 4 owners of Revzilla are shareholders. The Revzilla owners were looking for a partner that they felt could take Revzilla to the next level. They were basically entrepreneurs interested in starting businesses and once it got to a certain size they felt different leadership was needed for continued growth. Only time will tell how well it will all work out.

Top Bottom