Nc700x

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Last fall, I had met a guy on an NC700X. We swapped phone numbers and promised to get together. He called me a couple of times when I was in Newcastle and I had thought about him last week -- at about 10:30PM, which seems to be a time when I remember lots of things I ought to do. Before I got around to calling him, he called me and we got together Sunday and had a great time.

He made inroads into changing my opinion of the NC700X. He's got the non-ABS manual 5-speed transmission version and has really turned it into an impressive touring machine. The first thing he did was get weather protection. He used as National Cycle Slipstreamer windscreen from his previous bike, a Virago, added a home-made laminar lip and then some air deflectors on the frame. He put forward footpegs on the frame and added Honda's panniers and top box. The top box is pretty good, but the panniers, he says, aren't big enough. He wishes he had used Givi.

He gets amazing gas mileage -- averaging over 80mpg even when he's running at speeds near 80mph. His longest ride was 270 miles and he used just a fraction over 3.0 gallons and got 88mpg. That was on I-70 and took him over both Vail Pass and through the Eisenhower Tunnel. He says it's very comfortable after having a local saddlemaker customize his stock seat. It's capable of cruising at 85+mph, he says. He's owned lots of BMWs (and been riding for about 50 years) and says it's the best bike he's ever owned.

Oh, as I was riding to Brighton to pick up my new big lids from Gary, I saw Larry (the NC guy) riding northbound just out of Brighton. He's a semi-retired crane operator who works at the Vestas wind turbine factory down there.

I bought a 2013 NC700XD (DCT model) last December but kept my NT700V. I just had an urge to buy something different and an NC with DCT is different.

At the time of purchase, the NC had less than 800 miles on the odometer and because I still use my NT700V as my long distance bike, my NC only has 2800 miles. I'm a small guy (5'6") so had to lower the NC via Kouba Links and that got the original towering seat height of 32.7" down to a workable 31.4." This is still taller than my lowered NT (30.4") but the NC's CG is much lower plus it's around 70 pounds lighter so that makes a world of difference. It almost feels like a dirt bike when I push it around the garage.

The parallel twin engine has the cylinders inclined to something around 20-25 degrees from horizontal and the fuel tank (3.7 gals) is under the seat. It is also the first Honda motorcycle engine that has a longer stroke than the bore width - undersquare - plus it has only one exhaust pipe and one throttle body so this results in a redline of only 6500 RPM. Gearing is tall so at 75 mph on the slab, the engine is only taching 4000 RPM. Mechanical noise is so quiet at that speed that I often find myself going much faster before I look down at the speedo and come to my senses!

Suspension travel on the NC is about an inch more than the NT, at either end. Mostly out of curiosity, I bought a HyperPro Street Box kit which includes adjustable shock, matching fork springs, fork oil, etc. I'm still getting both ends adjusted but I'm about 90% there. The kit price is probably 30-50% cheaper than for something similar from Ohlins, Penske, etc. Included in the box was a coupon for a free shock rebuilt.

It has only a single disc in front but it works fine and the rear disc is visible and fully accessible. Similar to the NT, it has linked brakes and the DCT models also get ABS so I got the full banana! The radiator must be removed for valve adj but with that out of the way and the cyl head cover removed, the rocker arms are all directly in front of you.

I use "D" (Drive) all the time and have learned to downshift manually in certain situations, such as approaching slow corners in town. Many people call the DCT an automatic but it has 6 real gears with the main difference being clutch activation which is either done by the computer or with your left thumb or forefinger. It has two small clutches with one controlling 1st, 3rd, 5th and the other controlling 2nd, 4th, 6th. Although the clutches share the engine oil as normal, they have their own mini-filter.

For longer trips/rides, I've installed Givi Trekker side bags in the 33 litre size so no worries about saddlebag latches not working or plastic towers cracking! There is no room under the plastic for my MC Cruise so it's still on the NT. I installed a throttle lock and it seems to work OK but no where as good as the MC Cruise.

Wind protection is a challenge on the NC and part of that is related to my history of owning a PC800, then an NT so my expectations are a little high. I'm still experimenting with windshields and adjustable brackets.

Oh Phil - all the NCs are 6-speed, whether full manual or DCT.

ps. Although the NC-owners website has a much larger following, it seems to be inhabited by too many loonies. The NT-owners website is much better. :)

Last edited:
I'm still waiting for the NC700D (European Integra) to replace the aging SilverWing scooter. The Integra has better wind protection, the same engine and DCT trans as the NC700X, and dual hand brake controls which I prefer to a hand and foot arrangement. I keep hearing rumors it may come in 2016. Time will tell.

I think I have mentioned that if the NC had been available when I was shopping and bought the NT, I probably would have bought it instead. When I bought the NT i was moving up from that little TU250. I love the concept of the frunk. Many times I am just running around town it would be perfect for my helmet and gloves. If I could only have one motorcycle.... the NC would be a contender. I am disappointed that NC750x has not made it stateside yet. By all reports, they improved the engine, gear ratios and didn't impact gas mileage at all.

I am disappointed that NC750x has not made it stateside yet. By all reports, they improved the engine, gear ratios and didn't impact gas mileage at all.

+1 I test rode the 700 manual and it's tough to get used to short-shifting so I ended up with a vstrom 650 at the time w/10k rev limit and it was more fun to ride.. but, I'm sure you'd get used to the 700 in time. I wanted to try a DCT but none to be found around here for a test ride. I do hate they switches the traditional horn/turnsig buttons lol...

If I was satisfied with the wind protection and comfort of the NC700X, I'd still be riding my old Versys. It was a LOT more fun.

The new Versys 1000 is a strong contender for an NT replacement as far as I'm concerned.

Well, the new Versys 650 doesn't look bad either, Jim. Except, it's like everything else in the world -- too tall for us short-legged people.

Dirtflier, I'll get a picture of Larry's NC -- he's done a really good job of getting the wind protection I didn't think the NC could offer.

Charlie, Larry says his chain hasn't been a big issue. He's got 25,000 miles on it and hasn't had to adjust it yet and his sprockets still look good.

Well, the new Versys 650 doesn't look bad either, Jim. Except, it's like everything else in the world -- too tall for us short-legged people.

Dirtflier, I'll get a picture of Larry's NC -- he's done a really good job of getting the wind protection I didn't think the NC could offer.

Charlie, Larry says his chain hasn't been a big issue. He's got 25,000 miles on it and hasn't had to adjust it yet and his sprockets still look good.

Yep, but, I still do not want a chain.

If a bike with a chain is in your consideration there are many bikes I'd consider over an NC.

I really liked the NC and I was sad to see it roll away on Dirtflier's trailer. I am glad to hear that he is still loving it. :)

Until I bought the NC from Elizilla, I had not considered a chain drive bike since all my previous street bikes had final drive but I wanted something lighter. And so far, the words lighter and final drive are rarely used in the same sentence!

Although there is some chain maintenance required vs no labor with final drive, it's honestly pretty simple and takes no more than 5-10 minutes. Just about all my friends with chain drive bikes use WD-40 as a cleaner/lube so that's what I've been using - spray it on and wipe it off, about every 350 miles. Another factor is the life of chain & sprockets and as long as the chain is kept clean, I doubt if the NC's whopping 42 horsepower will cause anything one could call rapid wear.

In regards to bouncing off the rev limiter, the DCT the computer keeps it upshifting long before it reaches the red zone - no matter what mode you're using. But I have several friends with non-DCT NCs and they have mentioned hitting the rev limiter at first.

As I mentioned previously, I kept my NT so have an easy alternative for long, multi-state trips if I don't want to mess with a chain.

Last edited:
I also wonder how a bike can be perceived as being so good when it needs so many significant modifications.

I haven't had very many bikes in the 18 years I've been riding (only five), but my observation is that all of them have required modification (or what I prefer to call "farkling") to be what I need them to be. A good bit of that is that bikes don't have adjustable ergonomics like my car does. And some of that is the fact that none of us use our bikes for exactly the same kind of purpose.

When I bought the NT, I knew before I even picked it up from the dealer that there were things I needed to change, some of them fairly significant, to make it work for me the way I wanted it to. I spent almost $2000 online in that one day between signing the deal and picking up the bike. I've spent some more since. And, I have to say that I perceive the NT as a bike that's really good for me the way I've got it set up.

One of my favorite bikes in the world is one I'd never buy, the BMW R1200RT. I wouldn't buy it because of its cost and because I've known too many that have had major mechanical/electronic failures. But ergonomically it's perfect for my body. I was reading a test of one just a few days ago and that "very good" bike has a base price and then a series of packages that BMW sells so that it ends up selling for several thousand dollars above the base price by the time it's equipped the way I'd it equipped.

Nearly everything needs farkling to work the way I'd want it to work.

Just my opinion.

It's interesting the different opinions on the beemers. I've talked to 20 or 30 different owners and only one had a rear drive problem. He admitted he never had the thing serviced (which was correct per the owners manual). All the rest serviced the rear drive and several had it 'shimmed'. I guess some dealers are good at it and some are not.

And, no, I NEVER leave a bike stock. I add windshields, seats, bags, risers, electrical gear, etc to make it what I want.

The NT is one that took the fewest mods to make it comfortable for distance riding and commuting. Mainly cause the fairing and storage are good to start with.

All bikes are a compromise so you just have to determine where you want to "adjust" things.

I haven't had very many bikes in the 18 years I've been riding (only five), but my observation is that all of them have required modification (or what I prefer to call "farkling") to be what I need them to be. A good bit of that is that bikes don't have adjustable ergonomics like my car does. And some of that is the fact that none of us use our bikes for exactly the same kind of purpose.

When I bought the NT, I knew before I even picked it up from the dealer that there were things I needed to change, some of them fairly significant, to make it work for me the way I wanted it to. I spent almost $2000 online in that one day between signing the deal and picking up the bike. I've spent some more since. And, I have to say that I perceive the NT as a bike that's really good for me the way I've got it set up.

One of my favorite bikes in the world is one I'd never buy, the BMW R1200RT. I wouldn't buy it because of its cost and because I've known too many that have had major mechanical/electronic failures. But ergonomically it's perfect for my body. I was reading a test of one just a few days ago and that "very good" bike has a base price and then a series of packages that BMW sells so that it ends up selling for several thousand dollars above the base price by the time it's equipped the way I'd it equipped.

Nearly everything needs farkling to work the way I'd want it to work.

Just my opinion.

Nuthin' to be ashamed of Phil... just admit it, you're a "farkleholic"! Repeat after me.... "Hi, I'm Phil and I'm a farkleholic".... now there, that wasn't so bad was it?
:rofl1:

Mike

Farkling and personalizing your bike is half the fun. A great thing about the NC700X is that it has a very affordable base price - so then you spend the extra money adding the aftermarket parts YOU want rather than oem ones the manufacturer thinks is best.

I was pretty impressed with the bike as well. Twisted Throttle gave me theirs as a loaner when they borrowed my Tiger Explorer to fabricate some parts. I posted a thread here about it, but Tosh's summary certainly covers everything. For what it is and it's price, I think Honda did a great job.

All this talk about the NC700 and today I saw one on the road!

New Mexico 14 going north to be exact. With WISCONSIN plates and riding two up! Side cases and trunk (looked like a Givi)

So, if you think it won't do the job, there are at least two people who are running it quite a long ways.

Back
Top Bottom