NEBDR: The thing R1150GS was born for ...

Sunny

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700VA, R1150GS
teaser now, trip report tomorrow after my bones stop rattling and paining ..

Yesterday :)

1595209558820.png

Today :D

1595209619427.png

1595209663273.png

OP
OP
Sunny

Sunny

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700VA, R1150GS
Ok, here is the rest of the story :)

Me and a few buddies who like to ride off-road (but not single tracks, as we have big bikes) .. have been doing the Trans NJ Trail for some weekends. We are almost 50% done... but then the topic of NEBDR came up and we started to make plans to do the lower 2 sections. ~300miles total in a 1400 mile route. BDR routes are back roads, some highways, dirt roads, dual track and can be done by ADV bikes.

They do have some very technical sections (We hit one and that is where we had the most falls and challenges)

Videos are official videos an not mine, just linked her to give a view of the route. None of us were caring a video camera. So that is definitely a thing I will get soon..

section 1:
section 2:

5 guys, 5 big bikes (Scrambler, KTM, Tiger, GS, Multistrada), Riders age 30 to 60 ..

Day 1: Home to Hancock, NY ..

Route was Rt23 (to Port Jarvis and Hawks nest) and Rt97 (ran along the Delaware river to Hancock) ... and very beautiful and good roads ... lots of twisties ... very very enjoyable...

In Hancock, we discovered that My GPS had screwed up the Section 1 Track and all of us had one of the other problem with our GPS tracks. Finally, I was able to load the tracks on kurviger app and off we went....

Beautiful roads, dirt tracks, graveled roads etc... very beautiful, scenic and fun... nothing to gnarly ... but the gravel roads made us squirm (specially when they went down on curves..) the bikes danced....

We had under estimated our speed, so around 5.30PM we got really tired and made a decision to skip last gravel road (~15 miles of the route) to Andes, NY and directly hit our Motel (Margaretville Motel, Catskills NY) . Motel was clean and basic. Right next door was a 24hr gas station where we grabbed coffee and beer. On the ohr sidew as a small restaurant where there was a open air jazz group playing... good food and music. All good with social distancing and masks.

Day 2: Margaretville to Copake Falls, NY.
We started at 8.30 AM with the decision that our time to hit for home will be 4.00PM EST. Where ever we are, 4.00 PM We stop and tune to home. Home was ~130miles and we did not want to drive in the dark.

The initial 30 mile of the actual tail we skipped due to the start from the Motel ,and the initial 25 miles we drove were again very scenic with back roads, gravel roads etc.... a few gravel roads were very steep going downward -- on hind site, they shoudl have warned us :)

Then we hit a rocky snowmobile trail ... did not look too difficult but as we went up .. it got really challenge ... but nothing we could not handle... we all reached the top with may be a topple or two ... and then we moved ahead ... and the dirt track dropped... this is where we realized we have a challenge on our hands and got nervous...

so we slowly go one by one down the track, stopping at the bottom. the topple rate was 1 out of 5. whew. but the real challenge was about to come... now the track became real steep, we went down ~1600 feet in less than am mile .. all on a supper rocky trail... each of us kissed ground at least 3 times... the ritual became .. one guy rides down, topples, then he starts hiking up meets the next toppled guy helps him up .. while the third guy is coming down .... at one point 4 out of 5 were down ... we realized that we were (pardon my language) fucked... things became bad when one guy toppled and bent his clutch lever and the gear shift level.... the tools came out and we some how bent the gear shiftier to a usable angel...

while we were struggling, several experienced riders stopped buy , checked on us and carried on... the way they handled equally big bikes on that road was amazing ...

finally we hit the end of this section, all shaken, tired and exhausted.... and we took some rest, fixed the gear snifter little more and continued on the trail... it took us I think 2 hours to do those 5 miles.. we were hungry , so we found a restaurant and ate our heart away....

on the lunch table, it was decide to head home.. we were too exhausted and did not want to ride home later in the evening more exhausted ... the younger guy decided to continue with a plan to turn home when he felt his limit reached, for rest 4 the limit was reached ..

So ride back home on I87 and home sweet home around 5.30 PM ...

In all we learnt a lot, our riding skills definitely improved, lots of learning on planning ... looking forward to completing the balance section of TNJT soon...

We will ride section1 again .... the back roads were really beautiful... truthfully ... all the beautiful roads I have ridden in NJ pale in comparison ..

Note: Section 1 can be done in a SUV / car .. so I might end up takign my family on this route ...

PICS:

Hawks Nest , Rt23
1595361506790.jpeg

DAy 1: Back Road near a small lake

1595361533918.jpeg

1595361574119.jpeg

Day 1: At the Motel

1595361768831.jpeg

Day 2: Up the track..

1595361672914.jpeg

Day 2: Down the track ..

1595361715218.jpeg

Day 2: Babies Taking a group nap

1595361817226.jpeg

Day 2: Finally track is done..

1595361960691.jpeg

Last edited:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Wow! That's all I can say. I sure wish I'd started riding motorcycles before my knees went bad. I would have loved to ride things like that -- although I'm pretty sure I would have always needed a lighter and smaller bike than you're riding! Thanks for sharing all the great pictures!

Top Bottom