Need a folding trailer - Need ideas

rcase13

I have been searching for an affordable folding trailer and just can't seem to find one.

I need one that can hold two motorcycles and also have short sides so I can use it for other things like mulch. It needs to be fold-able so I can keep it in my tiny garage. Does anyone have ideas on where I can find something like this? I don't mind assembling it if necessary.

Thanks

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
[I have been searching for an affordable folding trailer...one that can hold two motorcycles and also have short sides so I can use it for other things like mulch...]

I'm afraid that at least two of your parameters are independent . The key one to ditch to make it possible is "affordable." :)

I had to add a bolt-on plywood top to my Kendon to make it practical for utility work such as taking tree trimmings to the dump or buying drywall at Lowes.

skiper

I've looked at the Harbor Freight one and it looked like very good quality - welds and paint look good. Metal seemed thick enough / similar to other trailers.

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
I have the HF trailer Paul mentioned. HF has (had?) an optional Metal side kit. It makes a very nice occasional utility trailer. I used the trailer to haul the NT on a 2000 mile trip last summer. I put a plywood deck on mine a split the deck so the trailer could be folded. In order to do that, the sides need to be removed and some bolts removed. We never fold ours. It might be a challange to put two mid sized bikes on the trailer (also wt limited). Loading and unloading bikes might be a handful. There is also a 55 mph restriction due to tires (axles?). On our trip, I checked tire/wheel/ axle temps regularly and it seemed to handle it fine.

I think DirtFlier is right. Find a Kendon and mount a temp box on when required. I have seen used for sale.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Northern Tool Supply also offers a nice "folding" trailer, one of my neighbors has one of these. It has 4'X8' floor which is as big as I have seen offered on folding trailer. It has a rated payload of 949 which my neighbor probably exceeds on a regular basis with his big ATV and kid's dirt bike on it...:rolleyes1: If you need more load capacity, versus deck space, Northern Tool offers replacement higher load rated axles, and larger wheels and tires with a higher load range, you might want to call them to see if any of those fit this kit...

OP
OP

rcase13

These are exactly what I am looking for. Usually it would only be my bike but occasionally it would be for my bike and my neighbors Triumph Bonneville. I think combined they are are probably 1100 lbs. The heavier duty Harbor Freight I think would do the trick. Is it possible to fit two motorcycles on a 4'x8' trailer safely?

bicyclist

Is it possible to fit two motorcycles on a 4'x8' trailer safely?
I think it would be really tight. You might be able to do it with one bike facing forward and one facing backwards, but it would be difficult to find room to strap them down. Park them side by side for illustration purposes and you'll get an idea.

Bike
Silver NT700V
Before buying, it might be good to do a "mock up" by chalking out the 4' X 8' foot pring on the drive way and seeing how the two bikes fit in it. You should be able ot plan out the tie down angle etc too to see if they interfere with each other excessively.

Good luck.

elizilla

I have put two bikes in a truck bed that was only four feet between the wheel wells, and didn't even have to stagger the bars. But if one of the bikes had something that was low and stuck out on the sides, like some of the tipover bars you see on cruisers, it would have hit the wheel well. The wheel tracks may be four feet apart and this works, but how high are the trailer sides, and how much room do you have for the things that stick out the sides of the bike?

You also have to be careful that the bars don't hit - put the bike with the most forward bars, in first.

I like the idea of parking them on a chalk outline to see how they fit.

OP
OP

rcase13

It is not a huge deal if the trailer will only fit one. I just thought it would be nice to also be able to carry my friends as well. It would be very rare and for those occasions I can just rent one. What worries me is the reviews on the Harbor Freight one. All the reviews are really good until about late 2010 then they turned really bad. I think I will take a chance and get it any way. I have a Harbor Freight near me so replacement parts should be easy to get. I know there are better units but the price is right on this one. I can get the optional 12" highway wheel/tire combo. Otherwise your stuck with a speed limitation of 45!

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Two NT's will exceed the weight limits of the harbor freight trailer. They use to have a 1000 lb limit, But I would be nervous carry any bike or bikes more then 700lbs.

I carried my BMW R100GS and gear at 550 lbs. What ever you do use at least a 4 point tie down system. Six would be better.

Top Bottom