Need help with tie down straps

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I packed up my NT for the first time since it now has a real luggage rack.
I am not entirely 100 percent satisfied with the big hook bungies....oh, they work
and are fast but I would like some
reccommendations for straps just to try. Someone said ROK straps so I will try and find
a description of them and how they work....

Camping bag contents (18 lbs). The stakes, hammer, and 27 flashlights were left out due to
weight considerations but they can go other places....Anyone who rates this fine rack as only an
11 lb rack is a company lawyer......

ELO bag contains bike cover, pillow, clothes, coats, rain suit, spare helmet... anything big soft and light.

Time to think about a short ride to see if things actually work....

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
Rox Straps are nice but just normal snap nylon straps will work great. I hate bungee cords, they store too much energy and have take-an-eye-out written all over them.

Bike
2010 Silver NT ABS
I'm fond of the bungie style cargo nets, they allow for multiple tie down points and does a good job of keeping loads from shifting. But I don't usually have that much stuff on top. That looks like it will make a pretty good wind sail.

Bike
2010 NT700V, 2015 CB500X
I have ROK straps, but never used them. I use some custom straps made from Strapworks for cheap. Mine are made to strap a duffel to the rack under the top box, and then a 2nd set straps a 2nd duffle on top of that. The 2 sets of straps are held together by one of strapworks many devices. The straps are similar to Mellows pic, about 1.5" wide with a buckle them just pull to tighten. The prices were very cheap and you can get any length, color, buckle style, hold downs. Good stuff if some custom straps are needed.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
I usually make my own. Net is made from one of those cargo nets made for pickups and hatchback cars. Cut to size. Add some bungee cord and hooks. I don't use it much now that I have the trunk.

For straps I get bulk 1" nylon strap, some buckles, D rings and hooks. If I want to get fancy I will make my own "rock" straps by adding some bungee cord to the end of a nylon strap. Comes in handy when I want to make mounting 'gear' for my tank bag on multiple bikes, or, when the included stuff doesn't fit the way I want.

I also get one of those grommet sets so I can put grommets in tarps where I need them. Parachute cord instead of the cheap tie downs that come with the typical camping gear.

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
You'll be happy with the ROK straps, Chris. I had my (35 lb?) dry bag ROK strapped to the pax seat and against my top case when I took the bike off-roading. Nothing came off (and there was dirt on the bag, so I believe it made hard contact) and the bag barely budged. I used nylon straps on the same setup before, and had to stop after an hour to re-cinch the load.

ROK straps are worth the little bit extra IMO.
Hey Bob. I think they will be very interesting to try. I have used the old style bunggies for 40 years and have just recently switched to the Joubert style Bunggies available at home depot for 10 bucks a set of 8.
http://www.homedepot.com/buy/tools-hardware-hardware-fasteners-tie-down-straps/joubert-24-piece-superstrong-bungee-cord-assortment-193052.html
These have large plastic covered steel hooks (with no exposed keeper springs) that fit perfectly into the 10 or so individual compartment in the underside of the grab rail on the NT and dont mare the finish. But in my old age, I like to keep a more open mind so I thought I would try the ROKs. Bunggies typically only last a few years but the ROKs looks like quality....
to try new things so

bicyclist

I used nylon straps on the same setup before, and had to stop after an hour to re-cinch the load.
And that's the real value of ROK straps. They will maintain tension so you don't have to check them all the time. And they can be used in a multiplicity of ways.

I have different sizes and find uses for all of them.

Top Bottom