Need inputs / recomendations on a waterproof bike cover

Sunny

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700VA, R1150GS
Dear All,

I sometimes have to park one of my bike outside, so was using a Covermax cover that easily covers my complete bike. But it has lost its water proofness and bike gets wet in rain.

I bought another cover, and it was much better (90% better) but still the bike got wet … specially the area that is in contact with the cover i.e. windscreen, top box

Is this normal (i.e., in good rain moisture builds up inside the cover and it appears that water is getting through?

Any recommendations on cover that can cover a NT with top box OR a BMW GS with top box?

OR I should get a waterproofing spray and spray the new cover for added waterproofness…

TIA
Sunny

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I had to spray my covers with a waterproofing as their original waterproofing usually only lasted a season or two. Also look for covers that have venting to help with moisture build up under the cover. I also found that 1/2 covers do an adequate job keeping the sun and rain off and also keep the moisture under it to a minimum.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Sunny, I've got a Tour King half cover. http://www.tourking.us/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=40

They don't show one specifically designed for the NT and they no longer show generic covers on their website, but mine was designed to fit bikes with top boxes and fits fine. It's got elastic that fits under the top box and the front fairing and straps with hooks that I attach to my rear brake linkage and shift linkage. I've never had it blow off. It doesn't keep the bike completely dry, but I've never waterproofed it and it hasn't gotten any worse. Frankly, I never thought of waterproofing it. Duh. I guess I'll try that. One of the best things about it is that it stores in a very small bag, maybe 6"x9". I've been happy with it. I was working a temporary pastor's job in Newcastle, WY, and staying in a campground in a borrowed camping trailer, when it started hailing hard. It almost instantly broke all the the skylights out of the trailer and did $5,800 worth of damage to my car, but the little half-cover kept my bike free from any damage.

Last edited:
Bike
Black NT700VA-8 ABS
Sure it is rain rather than condensation with the cooling effect of the rain on the outside? Allowing air to circulate will deal with the issue almost certainly so stopping the cover lying flat on surfaces will reduce the chance of those surfaces appearing wet.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Might be condensation. Whatever it is, it's not much and hasn't been an issue for me. I've only found the bike wet after it's been rained on.

Bike
2010 NT700V
I am now not a fan of full bike covers. I had a bike recently (not the NT) get blown over in a small storm cell that rolled through. It didn't help that I was parked kickstand windward, but I have no doubt the cover assisted as a sail as it was ripped and half folded over one side.

Is this outside on your own property? If so, I would look at something like a motorcycle shelter instead. Basically they are small tents with metal frames that swallow a motorcycle. Run an Amazon search and you'll find them.

OP
OP
Sunny

Sunny

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700VA, R1150GS
Thanks guys...

Found I had a new in box 1/2 cover that previous owner gave me, never opened it.. I will take it out and see fit on both bikes...

The old covers goes, it is still in good shape, but just no longer water proof even to light rain... waterproof spray is not worth the $$$

And finally, I love the shelter that is there for motorcycles, unfortunately live in a condo so cant install anything on a shared parking .. so covers it is ...

Sunny

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
The difficult thing about the Guardian cover is that they're considerably thicker and will take up a lot more space than the Tour King half-cover. BTW, the Tour King will be an Xtra Large if you've got a top box on the bike, IIRC.

Bike
2010 NT700V
I use a Nelson-Rigg half cover almost every weekday to cover a bike while I'm working. It packs light, keeps UV and bird waste off important areas. Its lasted about a year and a half and is ending its service life. Seam tape is coming off and peg straps are losing their elasticity. I have a new one boxed ready to go.

A large is fine for a NT with no top box and slim lids. XL will just work for NT with big lids and top box, but just barely.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
I have a Wal-Mart full cover which is fine for sunlight. I have no rain protection for the bike when traveling. I have the luxury of a garage when at home.

OP
OP
Sunny

Sunny

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700VA, R1150GS
:biggrin: opened the half cover box Original Owner had given to me... ti was new in box , still sealed in the original poly bag.... here it is in all its glory ....

only issue, it snags on the number plate when taking off... I will put the transparent car door protectors around the number plate to make the edges soft...

1627860130064.png

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
Some of my black plastic parts got eaten up by the sun pretty badly. The bike stayed in the sun a lot while I was working. It did a number on the black plastic.
Some of the needed protection may depend on location, the sun is more direct in the south but other places have other issues, rain, snow, ice, bird droppings, and others. Protect the best you can.

Brad

Top Bottom