Need Power

Deleted member 540

I have a stock 2010 and would like too add a power outlet to charge my phone and GPS. Nothing fancy, I need to keep it simple for I am electrically challenged. I'm planning a ride from Colorado Springs to Alabama. I'll be camping along the way. Maybe I can meet up with someone and pitch my tent in your backyard? I'm retiring May 3 and looking forward to spending more time riding. YEAH!

Get a 12v cig lighter socket, connect it to the battery then get a usb 12 volt to 5 volt adapter. Plug it into the sig lighter socket. You now can charge you usb devices. If you have any issues come on up and we can install on for you.

I would recommend that you get the Honda accessory harness. It is $15 for a connector and set of wires, but, it saves tapping into the harness. Then get a cig iighter socket of choice and mount it where you want.

I mounted mine in the right hand fairing pocket. If doing it again I think I'd get one like George suggested. There are fairly inexpensive ones that are "weatherproof".

If you're going to buy something, make it a Powerlet because their stuff is heavy-duty and waterproof. Few if any people have ever complained about a Powerlet socket. And at least from my experience, anything that uses a cigarette lighter socket as a charging outlet leaves a lot to be desired.

If the powerlet accessory connectors for phones and usb were not so expensive I'd agree with you. Over $30 for a phone charging cord is a bit like robbery.

Try Lockitt. I just got a powerlet from them that has the USB included and plugs into my Battery tender plug.

I would recommend that you get the Honda accessory harness. It is $15 for a connector and set of wires, but, it saves tapping into the harness.

Charlie, do I need a part number or will the Honda dealer know what I am talking about?

Yep, if you have a heated jacket, gloves, power outlet in the pannier's, extra lights on the trunk, 55W driving lights, etc then a good power connection in the back is convenient.

For the front of the bike, the 10A capacity of the Honda circuit is more than enough for heated grips, phone, tablet and GPS power. I even had my LED 'driving' lights wired in to it (1A each).

Back
Top Bottom