Need your expertise...

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
While 8 of us were practiceing shooting our black powder cartridge rifles, a very small fire started in front of a rifle...not uncommon with black powder but there was no grass...the fire was only less that a foot high and two feet in diameter and spreading out slowly...in the dirt....suddenedly, the fire exploaded into a huge cloud of yellow smoke....I managed to find my way out of the shooting area and take this pic....the area emitting smoke was very limited and we put it out with water and an ABC extinguisher.....Thoughts?
There are many who wants this range out of business.......
a smoke grenade.jpg

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Probably Rumiko dropping her Hayabusa (again!) and starting a fire? :thumb:

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
That looks a bit odd. I have a couple muzzleloaders and use pyrodex. My guess is someone dumped some old or extra black powder in front of shooting area.
I have a hard time imagining that happening at our range here but you want to be ready for the unexpected. Also don't seem to be all that many old school shooters at our range.

Arknt

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
If my chemistry remembery isn't faulty yellow smoke usually is an indication of burning sulfur or sodium. I'd almost bet that it was sulfur dioxide smoke that you were seeing which makes sense since sulfur is a constituent in crude gunpowder. Perhaps some was spilled and a hot ember from a rifle ignited it. When sulfur burns with sufficient oxygen it has a bright blue flame.

Mike

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Things are still a mystery at this time...the range owner doesnt appear to want to bring in the fire dept experts in on this one. I think it would be a good thing as they could do tests for the accellerant. The sudden rapid burning to a circle of about 6-8 ft, then stopping, is odd....There are claims this happened once before but no proof.

Sharps rifle at dusk....
blast.jpg

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
1. Some foreign substance was ignited.

2. People shoot at all kinds of stiuff at unsupervised ranges.

3. Very unlikely that it came from a black powder load. Do any of your old school shooters make their own powder? (I remember doing that when I was a kid). Any lump of sulfur in black powder would have been visualized when loading the cartridge.
I’ve foundI in exploded Tannerite at ranges. I never investigated further. So I don’t know how it burns. Since that is 2-part material mixed on site it could have come from one of spilled components. Maybe someone had their own homemade version of Tannerite.

4. I doubt that any crime lab would analyze anything unless a crime was involved. A private lab might be able to help you. Maybe you should have a security camera.

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT

3. Very unlikely that it came from a black powder load. Do any of your old school shooters make their own powder? (I remember doing that when I was a kid). Any lump of sulfur in black powder would have been visualized when loading the cartridge.
I’ve foundI in exploded Tannerite at ranges. I never investigated further. So I don’t know how it burns. Since that is 2-part material mixed on site it could have come from one of spilled components. Maybe someone had their own homemade version of Tannerite.

4. I doubt that any crime lab would analyze anything unless a crime was involved. A private lab might be able to help you. Maybe you should have a security camera.
This in from the manufacturer of the deicer we use with magnesium cloride. In a deluded form, it acutally COULD be resonsible. Like being swept off the apron and rained on and sit for months.

basketcase

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
Yikes! That's nasty loooking. I'm glad to read no one was injured and no property was lost.

Otherwise I have no knowledge to share or wisdom to offer, but I would encourage never inhaling any type of chemical smoke. Or any other smoke, for that matter.

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Yikes! That's nasty loooking. I'm glad to read no one was injured and no property was lost.

Otherwise I have no knowledge to share or wisdom to offer, but I would encourage never inhaling any type of chemical smoke. Or any other smoke, for that matter.
I couldnt avoid inhaling the smoke...it was so thick I couldnt even see. A couple of years ago someone fired a tracer against rules and burned down 50 acres of the range.....now the range safety officer has magnets to check for steal cores and steal jackets and makes sure everyone knows the rules....

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT

They did have game cameras for awhile, but with someone wearing a black hood, they dont do much good. We thought about Tannerite...I have never seen it burn....I never knew anyone who made their own black powder and very few reload at the range and fewer still would put that much powder out there. I doubt that the local fire depts would do an analysis unless we could prove arson. Developers would love to have this land for the people with money. The range goes out to 1000 yards
IMG_20230705_093403807.jpg

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Wow! 1000 yards. I want to come shoot there. The longest range we have near me is 300 yards. Shooting my 22LR at 200 yards is equivalent to shooting my center fire guns at 1000 yards (in terms of “hold over”).

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Wow! 1000 yards. I want to come shoot there. The longest range we have near me is 300 yards. Shooting my 22LR at 200 yards is equivalent to shooting my center fire guns at 1000 yards (in terms of “hold over”).
It has been much improved...real berms have been installed as you can see, which makes missing the metal targets easier to see. Many stations have multiple sized targets...you can see the 1000 yard (meter?) berm at the top of the ridge.

Top Bottom