New 2012 Norge

tawilke46

Went by my local BMW dealer today and OUILA! There sat a brand new black Norge on the showroom floor.
Went straight to it to give it the "sit" test. I must be getting weak in my old age, but it was an effort for me to get it off the side stand. And the fuel tank was near empty.
The dry weight is just 542 pounds, about the same as the NT. The Norge must carry it's weight higher than the NT. Cause it was noticeably harder to get off the side stand.
Think that cured me of thinking about a change. I'll stick to the NT for now.........

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Tim,
My favorite courses in college were anything involving statistics and research--so, you will get my unsolicited results of my NT research.

My benchmark was the 1957 BMW R-50 and the later R-60. Those bikes were smooth, had shaft drive, were reliable, economical in fuel usage, and handled well. Some thought that the Earles Fork was ugly--I did not share that opinion--but the Earles Fork did not nose dive when one hit the brakes. The NT met all those specs except for one--it nose dives when you brake hard. That's really no big deal because the problem can be solved for about $1000.00 if you have it done professionally. Race Tech makes a fork kit for the ST-1100 which is the same as the one the NT requires. It does make an incredible difference. I rode an NT equipped with the Race Tech kit and the difference was incredible. After I rode the Race Tech equipped bike and got back on "Merlot", my bike felt like it had a pogo stick for a front end. This is a modification I will have done this winter.

I am perfectly happy with the NT, and when I wear it out, I will find another one used. Then again, I doubt that my NT will wear out some time soon. At age 70, it will probably be my last bike.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Funny cause I found the Norge felt lighter to me than the NT. Of course I also rode it so that had a lot to do with my impression.

PS I am also biased to Guzzi's.

OP
OP
tawilke46

tawilke46

Maybe they had a magnet in the floor.........to keep the bike from falling over and to keep folks like me from standing it up.
Or maybe I'm just a wuss!:rolleyes1:

OP
OP
tawilke46

tawilke46

Other than the sidestand issue Tim, how were the ergonomics and comfort---you know leg room, handlebar location, footpeg height, windscreen fitting and seat comfort etc.?????

Did you happen to see a "water boxer," the new watercooled R series?

Sam:)
The ergos seemed fine to me, reach to bars, seat to peg, windscreen is electrically adjustable, leg room was fine for sub 6 footers like me. Just heavy (for me anyway) off the side stand. Guys over 6 foot may find the left cylinder is snug against the knee, thus engine heat.
May try to talk Jimmie into letting me take it out for a test run. That is no guarantee, even though I have known him for over 15 years. Really need to ride one to form an educated opinion.

Last edited:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I haven't seen the '12 Norge yet, but I did see a water-Boxer last week. I saw it and didn't even realize that I was seeing it till after I'd gotten home and picked up my new Motorcyclist magazine. It looked very nice and hid it's water-cooling-nest very well.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Did you happen to see a "water boxer," the new watercooled R series?
Sam,

I saw the GS version, the only one released so far I believe, at the Atlanta IMS. It was on a podium so I couldn't get on it unfortunately. It looks like it is going to be one top heavy beast with the radiators, tupperware ducting, and hopefully some armor on the cooling system all mounted up high and outward. And the radiators looked way too vulnerable to a rock hit. The engine looks familiar but the new heads on it were way to "Transformer" appearing for my tastes... I guess I'm just too old school and think BMWs boxers should be light, nimble, bikes not what is pushed now... My old R1100R would look like a kiddy bike next to the new "water boxer"....

Tim,

I hopped on the new Norge at the IMS show and it is still the bike I would love to have if there was a decent dealer network. The Norge just "fits" like it was made for me...

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Bob,
I sure do like the NT--seems to get better as the miles stack up--also the Michelin PR3s made a huge difference. I really liked the way the NT with the Race Tech suspension felt and am still debating whether I should go that route. My friend at Belmont Motorcycle Performance, who does superb work--Ducati and Kawasaki are his specialty, but he also works on Honda and BMW, says that it will make the bike safer in the sense that the handling will be much improved. His question was--"How aggressive do you want to ride?" For canyon carving and blasting through twisties--it would be the way to go. However, if you use the bike the way it was designed--for Touring and Commuting, the bike is fine as is. For long distance touring, comfort would be enhanced because you wouldn't have to work the bike as much on uneven terrain and marginal roads (Like we have in Maine). I will have to give this mod some thought since I have no plans to sell or trade this bike in unless I find an unresistable deal on an ABS model in as good shape as my bike is.

Belmont Motorcycle Performance certainly would like to do the suspension for me. What I like about Micah, the owner, is that he does not push things. He is so much in demand that he can pick his customers. His shop rivals an operating room in cleanliness and organization. That's the first thing that hits you when you come through his doors.

Last edited:
Top Bottom