New 660 triple

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
It sounds like our friends at Triumph are getting the message that the market is getting hot for mid-size bikes. I'm seeing a lot of teaser info on a new Triumph 660 triple that will be revealed soon. No real info yet but the teaser photos indicate that the new bike is leaning towards the sport touring market.

Mike

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Yes, I agree about the mid-size bike market "hotting up," as they say across the pond. :)

Last edited:

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Good. I rode a Triumph triple and was very impressed with it and it had all the power a sane person would need. I would assume all new bikes would have to be EU 4 compliant.
Other countries are doing very well with motorcycles.

Suzuki make a whole line of sport bikes of various displacements that would be fun to ride.
Here is a nifty Suzuki 125cc (single?) that my friend Ruriko is mock racing...I think she was saying that everyone was pretty sore after the day....
I THINK those may be factory sliders. I put sliders on my VFR and FJR.

a 125.jpg

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
As regards the growing popularity of mid-size twins and triples, my guess is that a lot of it is being driven by the extreme cost of the 1000s-1250s cc motorcycles and riders finally realizing that something in the 600-800 range is plenty. In 2-wheel sport, the guy/gal who rides is bike is far more important for performance than the engine size! :)

Last edited:

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
As regards the growing popularity of mid-size twins and triples, my guess is that a lot of it is being driven by the extreme cost of the 1000s-1250s cc motorcycles and riders finally realizing that something in the 600-800 range is plenty. In 2-wheel sport, the guy/gal who rides is bike is far more important for performance than the engine size! :)
In WWII fighters, the pilot's skill and knowledge was more important than the aircraft they were flying. In many countries like Japan, or India, how often can you go 120 mph?????

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Not sure about Japan or India but I know where I live and the roads I travel 120 mph is out of the question. I don’t think I ever exceeded 90 mph on my NT and that was during a pass on a two lane highway.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Not sure about Japan or India but I know where I live and the roads I travel 120 mph is out of the question. I don’t think I ever exceeded 90 mph on my NT and that was during a pass on a two lane highway.
Hitting a deer at 120 is never good. I am probably not wise passing trucks at 100 mph on open roads in the west were you can see for miles....the bike made me do it!

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Hitting a deer at 120 is never good. I am probably not wise passing trucks at 100 mph on open roads in the west were you can see for miles....the bike made me do it!
I pass trucks aggressively too. (but not at 100 mph). A friend of mine died of injuries he received when a truck tire blew out and took him and his Concours down.

As far as going at high speeds out west where you can see for a long way is still subject to a surprise by an antelope or ever a jack rabbit appearing suddenly. They come up real quickly at 100 mph+. Does anyone remember the "Stain Safe" writer for Rider Magazine who died from hitting a deer in TX?????

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I pass trucks aggressively too. (but not at 100 mph). A friend of mine died of injuries he received when a truck tire blew out and took him and his Concours down.

As far as going at high speeds out west where you can see for a long way is still subject to a surprise by an antelope or ever a jack rabbit appearing suddenly. They come up real quickly at 100 mph+. Does anyone remember the "Stain Safe" writer for Rider Magazine who died from hitting a deer in TX?????
I remember him, but right now I can't recall his name. Was it Lawrence Grodsky?

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I think he hit a deer or the deer hit him at 9 pm in April in Texas. I very very seldom...once a year...ride at night. And am very careful at dusk or dawn.
When I was in the state patrol, I "volunteered" to be on this committee and I had to leave Spokane at Oh dark thirty to get to the meeting. On I 90, a huge buck leaped right in front of my 3/4 ton Chevy Suburban. I can still see the collision in my mind. The buck went right under the vehicle, after breaking the grill. That was the only damage to the Suburban....I dont even drive my cars at night unless I have to and I am very careful. There have been times in Montana that I mentally through my hands in the air and asked, "What the heck are you doing out here?" and found a truck stop till daylight.
Anyone who rides a bike at night in deer country at highway speeds is taking a chance. If they are willing to live with the results, that is fine. If they whine, suck it up, butter cup.
Research by AAA released Monday found that seven of the eight people who died in crashes involving deer over a three-year period in Maryland and Virginia were motorcyclists. Nationwide, the auto club said, about 70 percent of deer-crash fatalities involve motorcycles.

Did Grodsky do everything right? We will never know. My wife has had 4 car/deer collisons as she drives the speed limit at night. I have never hit a deer or have had a deer hit me on a bike or in one of my cars. Only the patrol vehicle. A big part of that is chance as it is dark 16 hours a day here in the winter. And you have to be on red alert riding or driving in deer country when they are out. I would say that over 54 years of biking/driving, I have had only a handful of sort of close calls with deer during the day....they are out there.
IMG_3358.JPG

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I met Larry Grodsky a long time ago at an MSF National Conference. I believe it was later proved that fatal injuries were caused by being run over by a car/truck after he'd fallen with those culprits never caught.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
I met Larry Grodsky a long time ago at an MSF National Conference. I believe it was later proved that fatal injuries were caused by being run over by a car/truck after he'd fallen with those culprits never caught.
Wow. Never heard that before.
But I’m not surprised because people follow so closely.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Wow. Never heard that before.
But I’m not surprised because people follow so closely.
I did not know that either.....that would be a hit and run but unfortunately things like that happen all the time. Very hard to investigate if it happens on a lonely road with no one around. The "person" who hit his body could have been drunk or on drugs or just didnt want to be bothered with all the paperwork and bother...or just didnt care.....Man have I got stories...... :(

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
It happened in TX and I believe the state patrol found traces of paint on his bike from another vehicle but made no comments on whether the other vehicle caused the crash or just ran over the bike.

Many years ago, I had a club friend crash on his way to an event in IN, riding alone on a curvy road. It was a fatal accident with no witnesses and I still find it difficult to believe that it was a single vehicle accident.

OP
OP
mikesim

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I got a follow-up teaser email from Triumph regarding the 660/3. The intro date is October 4th.

Mike

OP
OP
mikesim

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
The Triumph website has all the info and some vids. The bike looks really good. The Triumph folks did their homework (are you listening, Honda!). The only nits that I have to pick are:

Chain drive, but I didn't expect Triumph to consider shaft drive.

No cruise control. The bike is throttle by wire so cruise control would have been an easy addition.

No center stand. Would have made chain maintenance much easier.

Stratospheric "kick over" height! The seat height is ~32" but the pillion seat towers over that by ~4-5 inches! No way in the world I can swing my leg over that. Last year I sat on a Yammy Tracer and I could not get my leg over it without kicking the pannier and the Triumph appears to be taller yet!

Nonetheless, I think the boys from Hinckley have a winner on their hands. I'm tickled to see the rennisaince of the sport touring segment.

Mike

Top Bottom