New Adventure bike from Honda VFR1200X for USA

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
All the adventure bikes are too tall. Other than that, it looks pretty good.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Isn't this the same as the Crosstourer? I know some were wishing that this would come to the US. Maybe Chuck has room in his garage for one and can tell us how it compares. :)

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Yes, I think I read in one of the sites that it is the Crosstourer that is now being brought to the US.

Mike

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Isn't this the same as the Crosstourer? I know some were wishing that this would come to the US. Maybe Chuck has room in his garage for one and can tell us how it compares. :)
Probably get in trouble for saying this, but the bike is over weight and most likely will be overpriced based on the competition. Besides, there is no more room in my garage until I get the 2009 Wee and the 2008 DR650 sold. But I sure am liking the FJR and the new Wee II

Last edited:
Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
I like it. Shaft drive and the VFR engine with DCT.

Yep, if only it were a little shorter, had a bigger windshield, leg protection, big hard bags.......oh wait, that would be a new ST :D

Bike
2010 NT700, silver
Is Honda afraid of larger gas tanks? Wish the specs page listed cargo/passenger weight capacity......not that it matters, I like being protected from the elements...ala decent sized windshield and faring.

Tim

Bike
2010 NT700V silver
This seems to me like a questionable marketing move on Honda's part. Just before they finally put their "long awaited" Africa Twin in showrooms, they put out a bike of their own that is going to steal sales from it. I know it is a 4 versus a twin, and 200CCs bigger, but I would guess that the person that is thinking about an Africa Twin will also take one of these out for a spin. Considering that I see 100 Harley's between sightings of big adventure bikes, I am not sure there is enough of a market for Honda to be selling two of them at the same time. I am sure either of them would be a lot of fun to ride. I just wonder if it is two years from now and they end up pulling one or both due to slow sales, if it won't be their own fault.

Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
If Honda wanted to sell a adventure bike, they should at least make one with a 30" seat. Most so called adventures never see the back roads they high ground clearance in needed for. Make a shorter one, and you would see many more on the road. I think the shortest high is 31" with a couple of hundred dollar kit to lower the seat.

Bike
2010 Silver NT 700v
Was aware of the 1200 Crosstourer after it was released in Europe in 2012. Initially what I fell in love with when I test rode my VFR was the marvelous 1200 V-4 engine. ✔ . Had thought if that bike had a more neutral ( sit up ) riding position that would be more comfortable for longer stints and a longer travel , plusher suspension , it would be more enjoyable for touring. ✔ . A tall windshield and fairing deflectors are available from Honda. ✔ . The 2016 Crosstourer is available with the third generation DCT gear box , identical to the DCT available with the new Africa Twin . May or may not go that route, the DCT has several advantages but also available with the excellent slipper clutch six speed manual, better for low speed maneuvers and of course you can rev the awesome V-4 at stop lights. Two styles of side cases are available from Honda , they attach and lock into slots at the rear fender section , when cases aren't in use you don't have " under construction " brackets hanging on the side of your bike. ✔ . Have never been a big fan of the box , adventure style side cases but they do have quite a lot of capacity. Honda does have a 1" lower seat available. Am curious to see if the 1200 X still has the same balanced, low center of gravity as the 1200 F. The engine is mounted very low and forward in the frame. And then there's that shaft drive , single sided swing arm with the spoked wheels ! ✔✔ So sexy . If the 2016 doesn't have cruise control when released in May I might wait another year , but right now the 1200 X will be my next bike .

Top Bottom