New Bike but Can't get the seat off! Help!

normref

Hi NT owners. I just got this bike delivered last week and trying to set up trickle charger but cannot for the life of me get this seat off!

Does anyone have a video I can watch to get this off? Frustrating.........

Norm

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
After unlocking the seat latch in the left pannier, the seat should pull off up and back.
Normally works well. Good luck.

Brad

Bike
2013 FJR 1300
Is it that you don't know about the lever inside the left pannier, which needs to be opened so you can get to it? Or is the lever jammed, or what?

Bike
2013 FJR 1300
Also, sometimes you need to flex the back of the seat a bit to get it free of the latch. Can be a bit of a learning experience.

bicyclist

And the owners manual that tells you how to do it is under the seat, right?:wink:

JQL

Growing old disgracefully
Bike
2010 NT700 & 2019 FJR1300
Wait till you try to put it back on----then the fun begins:)

Sam:)
Ah there's a trick to doing that!

Holding the seat nearly horizontal but with the rear lifted very slightly, line up the tongue on the front of the seat so it's just above and just behind the socket it fits into.
Lower the front of the seat so the tongue is level with the socket and slide the seat forward till it stops (making sure the tongue is in the socket). The rear should now be able to easily drop down into place. Voil

Last edited:
OP
OP

normref

Thank you all for your help! It's like me vs the seat now and so far the seat has won! Today we try again. Question: Do I slide the seat latch towards the back and wiggle the seat at the same time or just slide, then wiggle?

Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
Can you get someone to do that latch lever and you push down with both hands and then pull up. It maybe that some how you have a cable does not move the holding catch enough. If you do not have someone to help, first push down with your knee and try and move the catch, then pull try and pull seat up.
Putting on the seat has been an issue, especially with the Corbin seat, but taking off has not been a issue.
I don't think you can view the action, so it a blind action.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Sometimes I pop the seat toward the back with my left hand while holding the latch with my right hand. Pop it just in front of the rise toward the pillion part of the seat.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
You may find this video helpful. It shows how to remove the seat at the beginning.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Eo6RSzscus
He has the order of panel removal a bit off but you get the idea.

I pull the lever with one hand and with the other I pull up on the back of the seat (placing my finger between the back top edge of the seat and the rear shelf) to keep the locking post from re-engaging the seat. Then with the rear of the seat unlocked from the post, I then stand behind the bike and with both hands (making sure to keep upward pressure on the seat so that the seat's post doesn't re-engage the lock) placed on either side and pull back and slightly upward. The seat will slide right out.

I've also done a few videos on panel removal that you might find useful. They are included as threads on this forum.
Removing the Cowl Pockets

Engine coolant replacement and all panel removal required.

Hi NT owners. I just got this bike delivered last week and trying to set up trickle charger but cannot for the life of me get this seat off!

Norm

Last edited:

Marker

Sometimes I pop the seat toward the back with my left hand while holding the latch with my right hand. Pop it just in front of the rise toward the pillion part of the seat.
That is how I have to do it as well, but the "pop" is with a bit of gusto.

Good luck.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Thank you all for your help! It's like me vs the seat now and so far the seat has won! Today we try again. Question: Do I slide the seat latch towards the back and wiggle the seat at the same time or just slide, then wiggle?
You have to move the seat latch to the rear and hold it there while you lift the back of the seat and then slide it to the rear.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Norm. This might be helpful.
[video=youtube;SeoCnOM6abk]http://youtu.be/SeoCnOM6abk&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Norm

Last edited:

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
The seat can be a dickens, but here's what works for me. When you try to lift up the rear of the seat, you will note that it is firmly latched. Release the lever with one hand and lift the rear of the seat with the other. Hold the rear of the seat up (it is somewhat flexible) with one hand and then you can let go of the release lever and use both hands to wiggle it backwards. It also helps if you hold your tongue just right.

Hope this helps!

Mike

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I'm not even the oldest guy on here. Although I may be getting close to being the fattest.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Norm. This might be helpful.
Thanks for the video. That is exactly how I have been doing it and never had an issue with the seat.

I saw your KC sweatshirt and thought there might be an NTer close to me, then I saw your profile location.

Top Bottom