New bike .... sort of

Bike
NT700v, MG v85tt, KTM 690
Well no amount of farkles could prepare me for this. My last post about a possible need for a steering damper for the nt700 elicited replies that got to the heart of the matter. Sometimes we overlook the obvious and oversee the superfluous. Replaced the rusted and pitted fork tubes that led to one fork depleted of oil and spooned on a pair of Dunlop Roadsmart 3's. The result was transformative. The bike is now everything I thought it could be. Rolling into turns confidently.

Rented a bay at Moto Republic in Glendale. $25 an hour (max. $75 per day) and they had every tool imaginable to change the fork seals and fork tubes. Totally awesome.
20220112_150919.jpg
20220112_154532.jpg

The finished result,, Eye candy.
20220112_172238.jpg

: )
20220114_160347.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Pbro63
Bike
Well no amount of farkles could prepare me for this. My last post about a possible need for a steering damper for the nt700 elicited replies that got to the heart of the matter. Sometimes we overlook the obvious and oversee the superfluous. Replaced the rusted and pitted fork tubes that led to one fork depleted of oil and spooned on a pair of Dunlop Roadsmart 3's. The result was transformative. The bike is now everything I thought it could be. Rolling into turns confidently.

Rented a bay at Moto Republic in glendale. $75 an hour and they had every tool imaginabGlendale. to change the fork seals and fork tubes. Totally awesome.
20220112_150919.jpg
20220112_154532.jpg

The finished result,, Eye candy.
20220112_172238.jpg

: )
20220114_160347.jpg
What a great "for rent" shop! :)
Agreed, correction the cost was $25 per hour (not 75), maximum $75 per day. Very reasonable. The Honda dealer wanted $225 to do the work. It wasn't so much saving the $$ but rather the experience of doing it oneself in the company of other enthusiasts and experienced mechanics who could lend their knowledge.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
How can they do that?
I get kicked out if I even set one foot in a dealership shop. Their insurance won't allow it (so they say). Same goes for walking onto a construction site. If you're not part of the operation - you're not allow to be there.

OP
OP
Pbro63
Bike
How can they do that?
I get kicked out if I even set one foot in a dealership shop. Their insurance won't allow it (so they say). Same goes for walking onto a construction site. If you're not part of the operation - you're not allow to be there.
Well they are a independent bike shop, not beholden to any bike company like Honda et al. I had to sign a release saying I'm responsible for my safety and that "I know what I'm doing" Literally it said that, made me laugh out loud.

Additionally each workstation had an iMac with internet access, priceless. I was able to watch YouTube videos of the job I was trying to do as a reference. I also looked up schematics of the fork online.20220112_150915.jpg

Great business model I'd say.
20220112_155019.jpg
They also have their own separate area where their mechanics do repairs.
20220112_155029.jpg

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
Did you replace the fork tubes with OEM stock ones? I was looking at your pick of the new tubes and the top caps look different than I remember. Was wondering what/if internal mods were done.

Glad you got it smoothed out.

Arknt

OP
OP
Pbro63
Bike
Did you replace the fork tubes with OEM stock ones? I was looking at your pick of the new tubes and the top caps look different than I remember. Was wondering what/if internal mods were done.

Glad you got it smoothed out.

Arknt
Stock tubes, I drilled an extra pair of holes in the internal damping rods to help improve the harshness of the shocks, hard to tell if that improved. The black aftermarket fork caps incorporate spring preload adjustment.

Last edited:

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Well they are a independent bike shop, not beholden to any bike company like Honda et al. I had to sign a release saying I'm responsible for my safety and that "I know what I'm doing" Literally it said that, made me laugh out loud.

Additionally each workstation had an iMac with internet access, priceless. I was able to watch YouTube videos of the job I was trying to do as a reference. I also looked up schematics of the fork online.
Almost too good to be true. I suppose your laws in CA are different, but wherever I"ve been even private businesses must have insurance and as far as I now no insurance comp

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Besides the nice facilities, having someone close by you can ask "Is this correct?" greatly helps newbies. :)

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
My guess would be preload adjusters. Honda fitted similar caps to one of their bikes (CB1100?) and I bought the caps and have fitted them onto my NC700X.

For it to be a damper adjustment would mean a completely different and very costly internal cartridge damper was fitted.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Pbro63
Bike
Glaring at those fork emulators...
Just preload adjusters or damper settings too?
Just preload adjusters. Drilling extra holes in the damper rod seems to have little effect. I bought some emulators but they were the wrong size .

Top Bottom